Join our zoo community

New Zooguidebooks

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Zebraduiker, 19 Jul 2008.

Tags:
  1. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Why didn't they sell the guidebook at the entrance, as like as most zoos do ? Most people buy a guidebook because they need it for orientation and information, but a guidebook is not very useful, if you buy it during or after the visit...

Its terrible hard to find the guidebook from Prague Zoo. I've visited the zoo in May 2007, I couldn't buy the guidebook at the entrance or in the giftshop, just one little kiosk sold it....

Guidebooks are very important for a zoo, it is a presantation of the zoo in the public and is is a very good advertising for the zoo.

2. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

I don't think the zoo could sell them at the entrance because it is larger than usual zoo guide books. It also doesn't have a map, but the zoo gives out free maps at the entrance.

3. Zebraduiker

Oh, I don't like it if a guidebook has no map inside, but a lot of international zoos do that now, because they have free maps, but german zooguidebooks have mostly a map inside, and the vistors didn't get a free map, because the zoos wants to sell their guidebooks. But a few zoos do have also a free map and a map within the guidebook, and some zoos have only a free map( Cologne,Hamburg,etc.)

There is a brandnew 2008 guidebook for Howletts, I've seen it in the web on ebay.Its the same stile as the 2007 guide and shows again a gorilla on the cover, a standing silverback. I bet, there is also a 2008 guidebook for Port Lympne, does anybody knows more about that ? Altough Howletts has an online giftshop, they didn't offer the guidebook in this.

A few british zoos do that, why not Howletts ?

4. zooman1

zooman1 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A few years back howletts used to sell their guides online just seems to be adpotions and memberships now tho with a few cuddly toys

5. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

I agree with zebraduiker, my collection is focused around the maps and designs of a zoo, and it is a huge pet peeve (not to mention a great financial burden) to have a guidebook with no map. It's like caring for an animal during its pregnancy, only to find out it was a pseudo-pregnancy.

However, guidebooks still offer a historical value with its pictures and collection information that is still rather valuable.

6. Zebraduiker

Got today the 2008 edition of Warsaw Zoo with a gorilla on the cover, altough they don't have gorillas in the zoo at this time ( they will get gorillas from Howletts )

A nice guidebook with a lot of brillant pictures, but unfortunately in polnish language. But mostly the zoo publish also an english edition.

Further I got today the 2008 edition of the West Midland Safaripark Bewdley with a cheetah head on the cover.

7. zooman1

Got the new Chester zoo guide book today and its a very good one loads off information on the history and some great pictures well worth the money:)

8. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Pity it costs so much as somebody who works in the print trade i hate to say it but we have been welll and truely riped off with the cost of £5 for the guide book,as i would be very surprised if it cost the zoo over £2 a copy to have printed for the numbers they will have had run.

9. Zebraduiker

I want the Chester Guidebook too ! Hope, some of the british collectors will bring it to the collectors fair next month in Breslau.

10. zooman1

yes it does costs a bit more than most guide books but i think its worth it and the money is going to help with looking after animals so i dont mind:)

11. Hupie

Hupie Well-Known Member

I give you an update from the newest Dutch Zoo guide books:

Artis: gorilla with baby(2007)
    Birdpark Avifauna: Crowned crane (2004)
    Diergaarde Blijdorp: Polarbear (2008)
    Apenheul: Squirrel monkey (2006)
    Burgers' Zoo: Giraffe (2007)
    Dierenpark Amersfoort: Grevy-zebra (2006)
    Dierenpark Emmen: Pelican and piece of the playgarden(2007)
    Dolfinarium: ''Discover the stras of the sea''(2008)
    Safaripark Beekse Bergen, Hilvarenbeek, lion (2008)
    Gaiapark: Giraffe with impala's(2005)
    Dierenrijk Europa, Mierlo.I don't know what is on the front (2008)
    Ouwehands Dierenpark, Rhenen: White lion (2008)

You're now up to date:)

12. Zebraduiker

Artis has a 2008 edition with the same cover like the 2007 edition, and Arnheim has a 2008 edition too, with a tiger on the cover. Thanks for the list.

13. fanaloka

fanaloka Well-Known Member

14. fanaloka

Sorry, my error. The name of Gaia Park male gorilla (now in Appeldoorn) with final destination to Warsaw Zoo is not M'pungu byt M'Tonge.

15. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

The new Arnhem guide (with the tiger on the cover) is an excellent publication. Lots of historical pictures, maps of the major exhibits (as well as of the zoo itself), great photos. Price: 3 euros. Only in Dutch, unfortunately.

16. zooman1

Also got this guide book today well worth it loads of good pictures and info with a nice spotters guide of all the animals on the back two pages:)

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Mtonge was born in Apenheul as well. Have Warsaw built new accomodtation for male Gorillas? I heard they are getting another male from Belfast as well (Boulas, born in Howletts)

18. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They do not think that the guide of the RP is very poor in content and photos? a least in 2005 edition, with squirrel monkeys at cover.

19. Zebraduiker

Any new international Zoo guidebooks ?

There are some new german guides:

Berlin Zoo 2008 with an Aye-Aye on the Cover !
    Berlin Tierpark with spectacled bears on the cover
    Münster Zoo with ( buäh) merkats on the cover

The new 2008 Wroclaw guidebook is great,it has an old map from long before the second world war inside !

Copenhagen Zoo has a 2008 edition with an elephant eye on the cover. I like the new copenhagen guides, they are very good. Fortunately, the zoos publishes since 2005 every year a new one !

Can anybody help me to get a guidebook of the Osaka Aquarium ? I tried it several times to get it directly by ther aquarium, but it failed. I'm very intersted in this guidebook, I have a lot of good and rare guidebooks for exchange !

20. fanaloka

Hi all from Downunder !!!
    I have not seen any your post regarding new (2007 and/or 2008) guide books from zoos and aquariums in Australia and NZ. Are there any?