Join our zoo community

Rare Species Conservation Centre News 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Arizona Docent, 3 Feb 2015.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am willing to pay £5, but for that I expect a concession on the commercial use of my photos. Many zoos have a clause in the small print excluding commercial photographers or charging them a significant extra fee for working in the zoo. I haven't looked recently, but Blackpool's used to be particularly draconian even for amateurs - some of the photos in our Blackpool Gallery may breach the letter of this rule, but I'm sure we can claim it is 'fair use'.

Alan

2. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

If it was a South Lakes policy it would be much less of a surprise!!

3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

True that.

4. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A new arrival has been announced in the form of a male New Guinea dusky pademelon. He will be joined by a female in April.

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Also confirmed in the same posts that the center will be reopening for the year on 21st March :)

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes I got an email from the owner stating the March 1 opening date has been pushed back to March 21 due to construction delays. However, since my trip to Europe will be over before that, he also graciously offered to give me a private tour on my original intended visit date. Very nice indeed!

7. EmperorTamarin

EmperorTamarin Well-Known Member

"Dear supporters RSCC will reopen for spring/summer season on March 21st 2015 and will be open until October 31st 2015! We will have a few nice new species on site."

From their facebook page :)

8. Morgan

Morgan Well-Known Member

9. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Today the new website for RSCC has finally gone live: It boasts an impressive species list including...

Carnivores:
    Bush Dog
    Boky-Boky
    Clouded Leopard
    Eastern Aardwolf
    Fanaloka
    Fishing Cat
    Fosa
    Giant Otter
    Greater Grison!
    Smooth Coated Otter
    Jaguarundi
    Maned Wolf
    Malayan Tiger
    Palawan Bearcat
    Rusty Spotted Cat
    Ring-Tailed Vontsira
    Sumatran Banded Civet
    Yellow Throated Martin
    Sun Bear

Primates:
    Sulawesi Tarsier
    Red-Backed Bearded Saki
    Golden-Headed Lion Tamarin
    Pygmy Loris
    Bengal Slow Loris
    Pileated Gibbon
    Fat-Tailed Dwarf Lemur
    Sambirano Bamboo Lemur
    Red Ruffed Lemur

Birds:
    Great Hornbill
    Mindanao Rufous Hornbill
    Golden Necked Northern Cassowary
    Goliath Palm Cockatoo
    Caribbean Flamingo
    Philippine Scops Owl
    King Bird of Paradise (yes, really!)
    African Pygmy Goose
    Hyacinth Macaw
    Victoria Crowned Pigeon

Reptiles:
    Sunda Gavial

Other Mammals:
    Red Panda
    Southern Tamandua
    Chinese Red & White Giant Flying Squirrel
    Balabac Chevrotain

Monotremes and Marsupials:
    Spotted Cuscus
    New Guinea Echidna
    Greater Forest Wallaby
    Dusky Pademelon

It also (sort of) clears up the confusion over the photography fee..

We do permit photography and video recording at RSCC, however we reserve the right to the use of any photographs or recorded footage taken of the animals at our facility by visitors.

By purchasing a photography ticket this permits you to bring in camera equipment to RSCC and use it onsite. Small cameras/mobile phones are exempted from this.

When you purchase a photography ticket we will ask for you to email us copies of all photographs or movies taken at RSCC within 1 month of your visit. This is a condition of entry.
    :confused:

PHOTOGRAPHY TICKET £ 5.00 [ON TOP OF NORMAL ENTRY TICKET PRICE] These funds go directly to our in situ conservation projects.

Obviously still some issues with the website but it's looking good so far...
    Rare Species Conservation Centre |

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

This raises two questions, of course:

1) How are they going to define a "small" camera? For instance, my digital camera is a low-spec bridge camera, and as such is physically relatively large but is not a professional camera.

2) How on earth are they going to manage the impact on their email inbox if they are demanding that all photographs and videos are to be emailed to them? For that matter, what if you have taken a shot and deleted it straight away because it is crap - would the gap in filenames be interpreted as trying to get away with not emailing everything? :p

They have addressed the matter to some degree on Facebook too:

11. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wish more zoos would displays Sulawesi tarsier as they are amazing animals!!

12. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are very sensitive animals, RSSC is doing excellent work on their husbandry. I've seen Philippines tarsier at Bristol. I think I'm very lucky to have done so.

13. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Where does one start, what a line up!
    Well I guess the gharial was the mystery animal in the box?
    KING BIRD OF PARADISE!!!!
    And welcome back to the flying squirrels

14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

King Bird of Paradise is certainly one of the highlights :) of course, there is no guarantee they will be onshow - and the same goes for the Greater Grison which are another particuarly alluring prospect for me.

15. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Much as I love the RSCC, and much as I am delighted at their re opening with such a wonderful array of species, this move is, to my mind, quite extraordinarily ill thought-out, counter-productive and paranoid.

Do they imagine that there are a whole phalanx of enthusiastic amateur photographers somehow making a fortune out of selling their pictures of fanaloka and binturong?

And what is a primary motivation for a whole host of adults to go to zoos? Photography.

If 'professional' cameras mean SLR cameras, as I suspect they will, this is hardly an especially high cut-off point.

And the idea of emailing my snaps of interesting-looking stand-off barriers and warning signs is just bizarre. As is the idea of their having time to process the many thousands of pictures they would thus receive. As is the idea that this very strange policy would be enforceable.

All in all, it sounds like the sort of thing that Kim Jong-un would seek to impose, and I can't help but feel it stems from a similar sense of paranoia. There is a definite suspicion of some visitors / interested observers: when visiting the zoo,pretty routine questions about animal numbers, or their provenance, have been batted away, and my impression - possibly wholly unfair - is that the RSCC's owner does not take at all kindly to any sort of criticism. Which is a pity, because this is a tremendous place!

16. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

And just to continue the rant - it's not the cost that would bother me at all. The extra £5 certainly makes it a relatively pricey zoo to enter, but that is fine. It's the combination of suspicion (you must be up to no good, and therefore we are going to check your pictures) and fuss (organising photos is an enomrous faff as it is, even without having to send them off to someone!).

17. RicaFan

RicaFan Well-Known Member

What exactly are they going to do if photographers don't e-mail? Sue them? They are entering a very, very dangerous legal minefield there

18. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The species list on the new website is certainly exciting . I wonder if these all will be on show when the Centre re-opens .

I notice 2 species no longer listed - golden-cheeked gibbon ( presumably the pair now at Exmoor ) and snow leopard ( elderly specimen ) .

I wonder if the red-backed sakis and Balabac mousedeer are new imports or from the stock previously imported and distributed to other collections . It would be good for the European populations if the giant otters and pileated gibbons were new importations .

19. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Yes, I was wondering that. I'm planning a trip down but would like to see everything rather than be told that all the interesting things are offshow. From what I've read, they are rather secretive...

20. leiclad20

leiclad20 Well-Known Member

So what are they going to do then if someone takes a photo but doesn't bother to email it to them? Hunt them down?There's actually nothing they can do.

RSCC is not the only zoo to hold an animal that no-one else in the country does, and I do not know of any other park that has such a bizarre rule. People taking photos of their day out and uploading them to social media serves as free advertising for the zoo.

If RSCC is worried about people taking photos of their animals, they could always go out and take some pics themselves.
    Im also not sure that just because they're RSCC's animals means that all photos of them legally belong to the RSCC by default. Especially if a person you let into your park took them.