Join our zoo community

Rare Species Conservation Centre News 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Arizona Docent, 3 Feb 2015.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have just been looking at the Photography page of the new website, Photography | Rare Species Conservation Centre
    This is at variance with some of the statements mentioned above, so it seems that the conditions have been changed or may still be changing.
    Copyright law is a minefield: as I understand it, the owner of an animal can control the use of a photo of the animal for commercial purposes in just the same way as a person can control the use of their own image (unless they have signed away their 'model rights', usually after the payment of a fee); however an image can be used without permission for an editorial purpose, for example to illustrate a news item. Moreover the copyright of an image belongs to the photographer or artist who created it, unless it has been given or sold to someone else.
    I hope this can be sorted quickly, because I would like to revisit RSCC this year, to see and photograph the animals. I will be happy to agree to any reasonable conditions, but I will need the situation to be clear before I set out.

Alan

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Yes - it does seem to have changed, and now is more or less along the same lines as the terms and conditions most zoological collections within the UK have in terms of photography onsite :) I know that a few people on the RSCC Facebook page alerted the organisation to the fact these terms and conditions were commonplace; it is very pleasing to see that this has now been taken into account.

Assuming the terms and conditions change no further, I believe these are very fair.

3. TeaLovingDave

The species list on the website has now been edited to reflect which species are on-show, and which will be off-show when the collection reopens. According to statements on the FB page for RSCC, most of the species will move onshow over the course of the year.

In the following list, I've marked taxa which are labelled as offshow on the website in bold.

Carnivores:

Bush Dog
    Boky-Boky
    Clouded Leopard
    Eastern Aardwolf
    Fanaloka
    Fishing Cat
    Fosa
    Giant Otter
    Greater Grison

Smooth Coated Otter
    Jaguarundi
    Maned Wolf
    Malayan Tiger
    Palawan Bearcat
    Rusty Spotted Cat
    Ring-Tailed Vontsira
    Sumatran Banded Civet
    Yellow Throated Martin
    Sun Bear

Primates:

Sulawesi Tarsier
    Red-Backed Bearded Saki
    Golden-Headed Lion Tamarin
    Pygmy Loris
    Bengal Slow Loris

Pileated Gibbon
    Fat-Tailed Dwarf Lemur
    Sambirano Bamboo Lemur
    Red Ruffed Lemur

Birds:

Great Hornbill
    Mindanao Rufous Hornbill

Golden Necked Northern Cassowary
    Goliath Palm Cockatoo
    Caribbean Flamingo
    Philippine Scops Owl
    King Bird of Paradise
    African Pygmy Goose
    Hyacinth Macaw

Victoria Crowned Pigeon

Reptiles:

Sunda Gavial

Other Mammals:

Red Panda
    Southern Tamandua

Chinese Red & White Giant Flying Squirrel
    Balabac Chevrotain

Monotremes and Marsupials:

Spotted Cuscus
    New Guinea Echidna
    Greater Forest Wallaby
    Dusky Pademelon

A few surprises there - I am not sure many of us expected the Tarsier and Civet to be labelled as on-show, and I suspect people would not have expected something as commonplace as the African Pygmy Goose or Pygmy Loris to be offshow!

4. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

5. threeple61

threeple61 Well-Known Member

There are several collections with King birds of paradise now - they appear to be fairly regularly imported...

6. TeaLovingDave

I only know of the three collections within Europe (two of which are off-display) along with Al Wabra. Of course, any increase in the number of collections holding Birds-of-Paradise is much welcomed.

7. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Interesting to note that one of the species,they list as off-show is currently not even at the collection!!

8. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

...and so ends a rather strange turn of events!

In some ways, it's quite indicative of the place as a whole - here's an idea, it might be bonkers, let's do it, no, let's change our minds, let's not do it.... It's sort of consistent with the way that the zoo has developed over the past few years. Mind you, it's that sort of approach that has led to a very interesting collection, rather than meerkats and ring tailed lemurs and stasis, so I won't complain!

Last edited: 26 Feb 2015
  9. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

It's quite interesting looking at the comments on the zoo's facebook page (and there's a sentence I never thought I'd write). These are mostly pretty fair and rational, and to be fair to the RSCC, clearly the chorus of disappointment has been listened to and heeded. Which is good!

10. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Techincally then, they are offshow at RSCC. :D

11. threeple61

threeple61 Well-Known Member

Yes - but there are also private keepers with them.

12. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

They also announced on their Facebook page today, that they have welcomed the birth of a Sumatran banded palm civet. The keepers are hand rearing it, since the mother didn't rear the last litter. It also says they are in a breeding program for them with the Nashville Zoo.

13. Communityzoo

Communityzoo Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what happened to the bear cuscus, if these arrived? (https://www.zoochat.com/community/posts/759832)

I have respect for the work of the RSCC, and almost feel as if the site as a whole is an example of what ZSL should attempt within a section of it's Regent's Park site, a living collection of EDGE species (I realise most at RSCC aren't actually in this category, but are little-known and often overlook in conservation terms).

However, I don't wish to spoil the party here, but I do question the level of transparency and the lack of publicly-available rationale behind the collection planning at the RSCC. As much as many of these species are incredible to see (and species I would never have seen otherwise), it isn't enough for me to be comfortable paying to see them without understanding why they are there, and what the rationale/long-term plan is for the species ex situ. I'm not saying that European zoos should become homogenous, centrally-regulated holders of purely EEP/ESB species, but when you are importing species from range countries, often wild-caught, often with a captive gene pool too small to sustain itself without further imports, this needs to be defendable. Wouldn't the RSCC be a really exceptional place if it was able, not just to work with such delicate and unusual species, but could face the public with a solid rationale behind it's work importing founder stock?

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2016
  14. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

AFAIK, the Bear Cuscuses were moved to the Wroclaw Zoo and the Brown Dorcopsis were overdetermined by experts to White Striped Dorcopsis.

15. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The animals imported into Europe [Prague & Sandwich], initially identified as being Brown Dorcopsis, were later re-identified as being Dorcopsis hageni. So they're the same specimens under a new name.

16. TeaLovingDave

When the Bear Cuscuses arrived at Wroclaw I actually asked the collection directly if they were the stock from RSCC, and was told they were a seperate new import :) and as Mike Grayson says, the Dorcopsis were re-identified upon arrival and as such are indeed the same individuals.

17. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is disappointing that a UK collection planning to keep king bird of paradise has changed their minds.

18. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I second some of these comments levelled at RSCC. It concerns me that there is a lack of transparency when it comes to importing species that are rarely seen in captivity to a collection which wavers between private collection and public zoo depending on the owner's whim. Yes it is nice to see species that none of us have ever seen before, but making up the husbandry on the hoof for a dozen species is not right. For example species such as tarsiers are notoriously difficult to keep ever by experienced primate collections. Species also seem to be cycled in and out of the collection again at whim, again such as smooth-coated otters, lemurs and singing dogs have all had temporary stays at RSCC before moving on. Is it a case of the owner keeping a novel species and breeding them a few times before deciding that something new catches his eye? This is not the way that professional zoos do collection planning and husbandry, but feels more like a private keeper with alot of money. The only saving grace for RSCC is that they seem to work in with other regional zoos.

I realise that I may sound unduly cynical and critical of RSCC and the owner (I don't know him and I might be doing him a disservice), but I find it amazing that many people on this forum will happily stick the boots into some collections while fawning over this one, without looking a little deeper.

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

this is all pretty much my exact sentiments about this place. I would have crafted my own post, but tetrapod and Communityzoo did it for me :D

20. Neofelis76

Neofelis76 New Member

Whilst all of the comments and speculation about RSCC and its owner make intriguing reading, I think it is somewhat damaging to post comments about a collection or an individual at random without fact. RSCC was set up on the back of a personal passion by its founder, so of course to some it may seem like an oversized private collection on a personal whim. However RSCC is committed to the conservation of lesser known species and aims to bring these to a wider audience. RSCC has shone a light on many species that were not really focussed on much and was instrumental in working with as an example Sun Bears and this has helped many other collections behind the scenes and most importantly the work of Free The Bears, RSCC never started out attempting to be the usual zoological facility or collection. RSCC works with many other collections behind the scenes setting up sustainable populations of newly seen species and has a serious interest in captive breeding and research. Someone has to do this work and sadly most collections now focus on what will entertain the average zoo visitor along with their extensive playgrounds etc. The odd comment about Singing Dogs and Smooth Coated Otters coming into the collection then out is rather spurious - esp as Smooth Coated Otters are still on site. In fact if you compare RSCC's collection to most mainstream attraction type zoos then its collection is rather stable and focussed. But on occasion certain animals do not work in a collection or for the benefit of the species or a breeding program they will be sent to another facility. There are a number of species on the new RSCC website which are not onsite but will soon be and are held at other collections but as the new website was being written these were added as soon to be on site. Please all try to ask genuine and interested questions about RSCC and I will try to answer them when possible. RSCC is by no means a secretive evasive collection but speculation and drama are not helpful. RSCC is doing its best to build better facilities, streamline its work and look after its collection in the best interests of the animals onsite. The facility is by no means perfect but seems to breed many species well, even some tricky ones. As you all have probably seen RSCC has continued to improve its site and this will continue. RSCC wishes to be a facility that is understood and has a useful position in the wider zoo community. On that note RSCC has set up various breeding programs for species such as Banded Civet, Palawan Bearcat, Malagasy Small Carnivores in very decent founder numbers so that they can be distributed to various zoos and form a sustainable captive nucleus and these are a massive focus for us and will always be. I doubt many other zoos would do this as it doesn't make commercial sense however RSCC are willing even with its small size to do this work and contribute what we feel is important. We rarely do anything on a whim... Anyway if anyone would like to know more about RSCC, I will where possible try to oblige. However due to work load its not always possible to reply quickly.