Join our zoo community

Rare Species Conservation Centre News 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Arizona Docent, 3 Feb 2015.

1. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I was there last year, there was only one staff member who appeared not to be a keeper(and they could have been one too), it's not like they have loads of catering staff etc and the talks/ tours were done by keepers.
    I don't think marketing has been great, though I think tourist information type leaflets were at the hotel I stayed at nearby and at Wingham, which I went to on the same day.
    On that visit we arrived at 2pm and I think we were the only visitors that midweek October day. On my previous visit about 4 years before, there were only 4 other people there whilst I was and that was in late July!

2. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

This is very sad news. RSCC has been on my to-visit 'eventually' list, but looks like 'eventually' might not be happening now :(

3. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

How very sad and disappointing :(.

When I visited at the beginning of the month, RSCC seemed to be on the up and up with new constructions so I'm very surprised.

:(

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is truly awful news. The owner (Todd) I believe has been a private exotic animal keeper and breeder since childhood, so I am sure he will continue to maintain at least a couple species on his own. The question is whether he will keep the RSCC property and just downsize and close it to the public or whether he will try to sell the property to an interested party?

5. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Sadly, I think the dispersal of the collection will start sooner rather than later. The newly-opened Hemsley Conservation Centre, elsewhere in Kent, which i visited today, is claiming that they will soon be receiving rusty-spotted cats, giant flying squirrels and slow loris.

I really liked the RSCC, and am very sad it is closing. However, its marketing was simply appalling, in a market where it needed to be strong (Wingham and Howletts so nearby....). The facebook page was rarely updated. The website was inaccurate. The Twitter feed was unused, largely. The zoo had no profile, even locally, let alone further afield (the aforementioned Hemsley place - nice enough, but tiny, and not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as the RSCC - has been mentioned to me, by colleagues and friends, several times already, due to the coverage it has received in the press and on TV. The RSCC? Never.

And as a place to visit, it was great for People Like Us, but for real people....? In the many visits I made, the cafe was never open, for example. The signage was all wrong. There weren't an enormous number of things to detain people for whom a curled up, sleeping fanaloka wasn't a heart-tremblingly exciting sight. These things matter.

6. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

This is extremely sad news.

I have always thoroughly enjoyed my many visits to this fascinating place with its collection of rarely seen species; I will miss it very much.

I was originally intending to spend tomorrow at Whipsnade but, in the circumstances, I will pay a final visit to the RSCC instead.

My thanks to the enthusiastic keepers at the RSCC who have always been so friendly on all of my visits.

7. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Truly gutted, have been looking forward to visiting as part of our zoo tour. We tried to visit on 29th June but it was closed. Have booked next weekend away, was planning on visiting on 30th August, does anyone know how quickly the animals will be moved?

8. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

Such a pity its 4 hour drive from me. Would have loved to have seen the rare cats.

Maybe the Giant otters will end up at my local zoo,Y.W.P. if they ever get the enclosure finished.

Wondered if the owners of these smaller "niche" wildlife parks have ever thought of trying to find a premiership footballer or 2 to help out. Some of those guys on £200,000+ must have some spare cash.

9. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

To all those intending to come to the IZES meeting
    The event will still take place, with the RSCC as one of the two venues.
    Of course, it is likely that some of the animals will have left the collection by that time, but our evening meet-up & meal will still take place there.

10. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I can't help but wonder if calling a spade a spade would have helped here. People know what a zoo is but a rare species conservation centre? It hardly rolls off the tongue and given the apparent lack of marketing I can't see it helping.

Sad news anyway as I was aiming to visit at some point.

11. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It seems part of the collection is already moving: The golden-necked cassowaries arrived in Netherlands at Hoenderdaell.

12. Vareciak

Vareciak Member

Hello everyone, I'm a keeper at RSCC and just wanted to say a huge thank you for the continued support. It's always been a pleasure talking to all of you that have visited. We hope you have enjoyed seeing our amazing species as much as we have enjoyed working with them

And thank you for all the nice pictures!

Thought I would post in both threads as not sure if everyone is reading the closing thread. Thank you once again.

13. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Although I have never visited this collection:(,(a zoo on my "wish list") I applaud you and all the other employees who helped make the RSCC experience.I wish you and your friends the best of luck regarding jobs and hope your passions won't be dampered by something like this.

14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It goes without saying that you would be more than welcome to stick around on this site after RSCC closes :)