Join our zoo community

CERZA News from CERZA

Discussion in 'France' started by kiang, 13 Feb 2011.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I thought that might be the idea

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Just finished uploading hopefully pretty comprehensive photos of CERZA from earlier this month, including the new Polar Bear (and Arctic Fox) section, to the gallery: CERZA | ZooChat

littleRedPanda, kiang and Brum like this.
  3. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This year the park will open a new indonesian themed area with a balinese village and elevated walkways to show crested black macaques, white-necked cranes, oriental small-clawed otters, gibbons and a pair of babirusas. The babirusas, the only ones in the country, arrived last year from Chester. The new area will be near the greater one-horned rhinos plain.

kiang and lintworm like this.
  4. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Babirusas get more and more common in europe-how boring ;);)

5. Antoine

Personnally, I am never bored with babirusas :)
    Maybe it will be the case with giant river otters as a lot of french zoos are welcoming this specie this year...:rolleyes:

HOMIN96 likes this.
  6. Bib Fortuna

I never be bored by ANY Animal in a Zoo, not even by merkats, pygmy goats, guinea pigs, donkeyes and not even ELEPHANTS, altough there are too many of them in Zoos. And do you know why ? I like Animals , ALL Animals ( so that's why I visit Zoos ) so"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others" its not my motto :) Yes,I even do photos of merkats and guinea pigs...

So I meant is a joke- Of course I'm happy babirusas get another another chance to return to european zoos-hopefully, with great success.:)

In this context, I find it fascinating how quickly the popularity status of an animal species can change from "awesome" to "boring". Just think of the poor Red River hog, which no zoo fan wants to see anymore just because it made the mistake of reproducing so well. We can only hope that Fanaloka, Gerenuk and Yellow-backed duiker do not breed, so that they remain a rarity and therefore also an interesting and awesome species worth to photgraph it. Clouded Leopard, Giant Otter? Boooooooring....:(

Now imagine that the platypus in San Diego would start breeding (it won't happen, but let's say it was) Every yearyoung are born so that in 5 years 20 zoos in the USA would have platypus and start breeding too ? S same thing what happend with Red river hogs ?Do you think someone here at Zoochat would write about platypuses hatching again in San Diego?;)

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others;):)

Last edited: 13 Feb 2020
  7. Antoine

A new specie was announced : binturogs are coming and visitors will saw them in height with a new steel footbridge.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Antoine

In a tv report, we learn that the female babirusa is pregnant.
    I am happy with this but don't understand why the babirusas were transfered from Chester if the female was already pregnant (maybe she was not but the male is only 1,5 years old). Other problem is that they are in a temporary off show exhibit until their real enclosure is finished.

JurassicMax and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. Bib Fortuna

Quite simply, sometimes the zoos don't know that an animal is pregnant when they send it out. In the early stages of pregnancy, transportation is not a problem either, but transportation should only be avoided in the last third for safety reasons. At 1.5 years a male pig is definitely already reproductive. But nevertheless, hopfeully, the female is really pregnant and will give birth to healthy piglets. PS: Sometimes offshow exhibts are better fpr the animals than the on-show exhibits...;)

10. Antoine

I am not confident with Cerza about quite rare and fragile birth but we will see. The tv report shows a quite large but empty off-show temporary exhibit.

I expect a good new exhibit (with woodlands) for this fantastic animals and of course a beautiful piglets birth.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Babirusa arrived in October. The female wasn't pregnant when they were sent away to CERZA. They were moved because
    CERZA wanted to go into them and Chester needed the space that they were occupying

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Antoine

Thank you Nisha for this info. Good to hear that the babirusas are already well together.

13. Antoine

migdog likes this.
  14. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nanuq is just staying at CERZA temporarily. She will go to La Fleche once the new Polar Bear enclosure is ready later in the year. Originally they planned that she would stay at Mulhouse until this happened. However her mother rejected her (aggressively) and Mulhouse didn't have the space to separate them so an emergeny transfer to CERZA was arranged

Valentin and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  15. Antoine

Thank you Nisha but I gave already these informations in the Mulhouse thread :

;)

16. Antoine

Birth of a babirusa pigglet :). A first for the zoo. No more info for the moment but it seems that the animals are on show in the new Indonesian area.

17. Antoine

More info : the pigglet was borned march 24th and it's a girl called Salamy (stupid name as Salamy is a saussage :rolleyes:).

[​IMG]

Le babiroussa, unique en France au parc zoologique CERZA (Normandie)

18. Antoine

Two new striped hyenas arrived at CERZA. We don't know where they are coming from.

CERZA Parc des Safaris

Mo Hassan likes this.
  19. Antoine

Jungle Man and kiang like this.
  20. Antoine

Great news : on august 4th, a female malayan tapir was born :)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.