Join our zoo community

Flamingo Land News from Flamingo Land

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 5 Aug 2010.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some good news to start off a new thread :) The penguins have now gone back on show after a two year break for there exibit to be refurbished. However this is only phase one, Phase two will start in the Autumn and be complete for the start of the 2011 season. It will include a five metre waterfall and a research platform. The park is claming that it will be one of the best exibit's in the country when it's finished.

They?re Back! Penguins Make A Welcome Return

2. Fran

Fran New Member

Fantastic news, I must visit flamingo land being a bird lover :)

3. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

I have seen this enclosure and it is very big, although not yet finished. I've never seen a two-tier nesting rock before. I posted some pics in the gallery.

4. toucanwalk

toucanwalk Well-Known Member

I visited a few years ago was an ok zoo but felt it was there to benefit visitors after white nucckle rides really it was very plastic but i had just visited Paignton so that does take some beating! I hope the flamingos are breeding well as they did have an impressive flock which was why i visited by i did not like the roller coaster so near the giraffe and rhinos

5. Blossom

Doesn't appear to have been any breeding this year from what I can tell. I've never had a problem with the rollercoasters as the theme park is seperated from the animals quite nicely, and there never seems to be much noise in the zoo.

6. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

If you'd seen the park at its rock bottom 15 years ago you'd be impressed with it today. The son of the owner inherited the park suddenly about ten years ago I think and really breathed new life into the zoo. Of course, it's a very different creature to Paignton I acknowledge that.

7. toucanwalk

I'm glad to hear its got better and the penguins sound like lucky birds! Am I correct in thinking that they now keep the carribean and chileans as sepearate flocks? do they still have greater flamingos? the webiste about the zoo looks really good as well i may visit again!

8. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

^ When I went I only saw one flock, I cant be sure what species they were but I do remember some of them looking slightly different, it could possibly be two different species.

9. Blossom

They did have them split up last year, and they had removed all of the hybrids to leave just Chilean and Carribean (not recall any Greater flamingos). This year the two groups are back together again. There must be close to 100 birds altogether, but it is hard to count them

10. toucanwalk

thats good news wonder where the hybrid flamingos were sent to as no collection would want to breed with them.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Cannot see this being good news. If they are maintained as one flock hybridisation will remain an issue .... Best to concentrate on one species only or provide separate aviary / exhibit space for both species!!! :(

12. Nisha

They swapped some flamingo's with Dudley in 2009 and Dudley's group is only made up of hybrids and a single pure specimen

13. toucanwalk

Yes I agree that they should really keep both seperate to stop any cross breeding!

14. Nisha

As reported elsewhere the 0:2 Amur Tigers have moved to the old Lynx exibit and a pair of Sumatran's have moved into the main tiger area. The new female is Surya, born 5/2/09 at Paignton and the male is either Asu or his brother Bawa (born 2008) from WHF in Kent.

15. Naimsindi

Naimsindi Active Member

The male is Bawa (born 27/07/08) - he was transferred to Flamingoland on 2nd September, Surya joined him on 7th September.

16. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is the old lynx exhibit the one directly next to the tigers? Basically side by side? When I went there were tigers on both sides.

17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wonderful that a new Sumatran tiger holder has been found! :cool:

Any idea what other exciting new exhibits or plans are in the offing for Flamingoland?

18. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

As reported elsewhere Coatimundis have joined the collection from Port Lympe Zoo.

19. lechweoryx

lechweoryx Well-Known Member

20. Nisha