Join our zoo community

Linton Zoological Gardens News from Linton Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by mhale, 10 Jun 2010.

1. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Agreed, Linton has a long and successful record with Binturong, its good to see them return. Is the new enclosure the mystery one opposite the tamarins which i suggested earlier may be for binturong?

2. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

The new Binturong enclosure is half of the new built between the snow leopards and the tigers, this was listed to hold the White Collared Lemurs, which by the looks of it will occupy the other half once it is finished.

3. pipaluk

Thanks, wasn't that where the gentle lemur were? If so, do you know where they have moved to?

4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

On my first visit to Linton two weeks ago, I was told the gentle lemurs left the collection a few weeks previously for Port Lympne. I was disappointed to have missed them. :)

5. pipaluk

Thanks, a real shame Linton has lost the species whilst regaining another! But the gentle lemur had been kept in a pretty small cage behind (adjoining) the new white collared lemur enclosure & were often invisible, though they had been active on my last visit.

6. zooman64

zooman64 Well-Known Member

Linton Zoo does still have at least one Binturong. It's in a new enclosure opposite the Snow Leopards and next to an enclosure labelled "White-collared Lemur". I saw the Binturong but not the Collared Lemurs.

I too wondered about the new building opposite the Cotton-topped Tamarins on the site of the original Himalayan Bear enclosure. Could it perhaps be a new place for the Snow Leopards? But that's only a guess. The Snow Leopards' existing house and outdoor enclosures, whilst perfectly adequate, are certainly looking their age and are probably now the poorest of all Linton's exhibits. Maybe the idea is for a new Snow Leopard outdoor enclosure and brand new house on the site of the long-since-disused bear enclosures and existing Snow Leopard cage. But, as I say, that's only a guess.

A little known fact is that back in the Seventies, Linton Zoo did briefly consider bringing in Sun Bears, but nothing came of it. An appeal was launched to raise £5000 (a lot of money then) to build a new enclosure for the pair of Himalayan Bears. About £1000 was raised before the appeal was suspended. The existing bear enclosure was extended. Had the Himaslayan Bears been provided with a brand new enclosure, the idea had been to redevelop the original small enclosure for Sun Bears. But then, the first tigers arrived and money was needed to provide a large landscaped tiger enclosure.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

As noted above, this binturong is a recent arrival from Edinburgh zoo - prior to this, Linton had indeed gone out of the species for some time.

8. pipaluk

Can't see it mentioned elsewhere, but the zoo's first red kangaroo birth on 6 August, has been announced on the website

9. CambsVet

CambsVet Well-Known Member

10. pipaluk

I have noticed that the Clouded Leopard have been removed from the Animal list on the zoo's website, a shame that they appear to have left , though I never saw them in 5 plus visits.

Also a young male Tapir has arrived from Paradise WP to join the last(12th) calf born to the old breeding pair, who also appear to no longer be there.

Does anyone know where any of the departing animals went to or did they die?

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12. pipaluk

Following the removal of clouded leopard from the animals page on the website, i have been keeping an eye on it to see what replaces it. This week i notice another cat species has gone- Lisa the elderly Leopard(about 22 i think) must have died, as there are now only 3 cat species shown.
    Inevitable, but still sad, as she was the last in a long line of leopards kept & bred at the zoo. I can remember cubs in the mid/late 70s.

I hope the 2 empty cages are filled quick , as the inventory is decreasing fairly rapidly!

13. pipaluk

Following on from previous post, Lisa was actually in her 21st year.
    Small piece of news is that the porcupines have had triplets to add to the youngster born late last year. Not major news i know, but it makes a change from meerkats , wallabies or ring tailed lemurs! Especially as for years there's only been a pair or single porcupine on view!
    No news on what has gone in the recently vacated cat enclosures? I may try to get there on the bank hol to find out if i have a couple of hours to spare.

14. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Lisa Leopard was born at Linton Zoo on the 3rd December 1992, her mother Tara was also born at the zoo.

If you visit the zoo you can now see Southern Ground Hornbills in the enclosure where the clouded leopard was now.

15. pipaluk

Shame, i was hoping for a new cat species, a waste of a decent enclosure IMHO! Was hoping for the return of caracal or lynx.
    Do you know when Tara was born? Just wondered if she was one of the cubs i saw in 70s/ early 80s?

16. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. pipaluk

Visited today for the first time in a few months, sadly not many positive changes to report. The zoo could badly do with a benefactor to throw £100 k there way.
    Most disappointing thing for me was the signs put on the large empty horse paddock relating to wildlife to be found in an open meadow! Clearly there is no chance of this area being used any time soon, i was hoping for a decent snow leopard enclosure & more.
    No new cat species, their former enclosures still binturong & southern ground hornbill. Other binturong enclosure opp snow leopards still not completely finished, or the house opp tamarins( by old bear cages) which hardly seems to have moved on in last year!
    One of the large ponds near giant tortoises has been drained and work going on around it, always thought this could be used for otters, i doubt it will be that though.
    Despite those negatives, i had an enjoyable 2 hours, with most animals active given the cold windy day(only the binturong chose to doze in the windows at back of their cages).

18. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

0.1 Binturong arrived to pair with the male that Linton previously received from Edinburgh

19. pipaluk

They have had 2 binturong for over 3 months, so unless there are now 3, this isn't a recent arrival !

20. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I haven't been to Linton Zoo in ages! Good little place last time I went. Is anything in the old Lion enclosure? or do they still have Lion's in it as well?