Join our zoo community

Linton Zoological Gardens News from Linton Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by mhale, 10 Jun 2010.

1. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Why you asking? Can't you be bothered to check their website?:D

2. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Only 2 seen last Saturday

3. Max Blundell

Max Blundell Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How Many Acres Does Linton Zoo Cover and Has Anyone Seen a Guide Map?, I Also Checked on Zootierliste, Did Not Know that the Zoo Used To House African Leopard, Asiatic Black Bear and Couger (Mountain Lion)

4. pipaluk

I believe it's around 18 acres, but more than half of this is taken up by a massive zebra paddock and abandoned former horse paddock! Yes I've seen several maps. Been visiting since 1972. They held the Bear from opening until at least mid 80s leopard continuously until around 3 years ago ( many breedings), cougar for a long time too. Also held wolves for many years in 70s, 80s now the Vulture enclosure. Held them briefly in early 2000s in what is currently the smaller lion enclosure. Siberian lynx held in 2000s for a few years too.plenty of other species missing from ZTL. 2 species of macaque, emu for a start. Red Fox, badger, Llama.... I'll have to find some old guide books

Last edited: 24 Aug 2016
  5. crested seriema

crested seriema Active Member

They also had Caracal Lynx and Jungle Cats,and StKilda Sheep, in the early stages they also had small rodents, genets as well.

6. Tau

Tau Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Linton does indeed cover around about 18 acres and has evolved constantly since 1972 when bought by the Simmons family. This however as many will know in a small family zoo, development requires constant use of funds, hard to come by in small zoos.

The last African Leopard Lisa passed on in 2013 aged 21 and with no cubs of her own she was the last of Linton's leopards and was second generation Linton bred herself.

The bears died in the late 1980s, and the majority of the small cats died out in the 2000's with the last being the Lynx and the caracal, but serval, leopard cat, jungle cat, puma and Sumatran tiger have all been housed over the years. Leaving the Amur Tiger, African Lions and male snow leopard they hold now.

The Wallaroos are a brilliant addition and are two males.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2016
  7. drill

drill Well-Known Member

According to ZTL Leipzig zoo has given Linton 3 Eastern quolls.

ShonenJake13 and kiang like this.
  8. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

0:1 Snow Leopard arrived from Krefeld Zoo called 'Nefeli'

9. pipaluk

The female Snow Leopard has been there some time, she was there when I visited on 2nd January.

10. pipaluk

This is a very surprising development! They are not currently on show, but I will be very interested as to where they are put in the zoo.
    The only new building I saw 2 days ago was on the site of what I think was the macaque house in the 70s/80s ( next to the covered picnic area, previous building demolished ). This has been put up remarkably quickly by Linton standards, as the old building was still there in January.

11. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Not a surprise at all given that the headkeeper has a soft spot for Aussie Marsupial!

12. pipaluk

Maybe, but adding Walleroo to the Kangaroo paddock was considerably easier than finding somewhere to put quoll! Unless they move the agouti. They have no nocturnal or small mammal house at the moment.
    Anyway, for marsupials it's little Linton 5 Chester 1 now!

13. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The quolls have their new home at Linton, in the old vulture aviary near the now leopards, I'll post a photo in the gallery shortly. It will be different to see them potentially outside....

14. migdog

15. pipaluk

That enclosure still had a sign on it saying 'new Binturong enclosure coming soon' on it a week ago. Plans change though.

16. migdog

It did indeed. I signed up for a season ticket last week and saw the sign for the binturongs then. I work 10 minutes away so will be popping in at least once a week during my lunch break.

17. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You lucky sod, I'd love to be able to visit a zoo in my lunch break* -that is so cool.

*If only Sherwood Zoo had lasted a few more decades I would have been able to.

migdog likes this.
  18. pipaluk

If I ever remembered to take a photo with me, I'd get an annual pass & could visit in my lunch break too! I visit at least 4 times a year but most of those are unplanned!

19. migdog

I've visited twice since joining, and got my annual pass on my 2nd visit, so nowiI need to sort out a photo for ID and fast !

20. simon lloyd

simon lloyd Well-Known Member

they are not staying there , its a temporary home , the bear cats will be going in that enclosure :)