Join our zoo community

Linton Zoological Gardens News from Linton Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by mhale, 10 Jun 2010.

1. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do you know where they are going? Is it the part built enclosure near the Stegosaurus?

2. simon lloyd

simon lloyd Well-Known Member

according to mikey they are going where the agouti are at the moment

3. migdog

Good to know thanks, saves me asking next time I'm there (I might pop in tomorrow lunchtime) :)

simon lloyd likes this.
  4. Pacu

Pacu Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, first saw one there c1990.and noted their strange smell.

5. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I was at Linton Zoo today.
    After several visits to the quoll exhibit, and after waiting patiently for a long time, I finally managed to see all three quolls sitting by the window of their indoor accommodation. Unfortunately they were not in a good position for photography but I will return....

migdog likes this.
  6. migdog

I've been a couple of times since my post, and have still yet to see them so I'm jealous! :)

Did you see any of the white collared Lemur babies?

7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

No, unfortunately, I didn't see the young white-collared lemurs.

I spent so long wating for the quolls to show themselves that I didn't manage to see the complete collection....

migdog likes this.
  8. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wow, that's serious dedication (given the collection's not massive and the grounds modest).

"My name's Tim, and I'm a quoll-aholic":)

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  9. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Tim goes for quollity, not quantity and you can guess the street where he buys boxes of chocolates.

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

He best be careful not to contract quollera.

Dassie rat and Shorts like this.
  11. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Saw one of them today, feeding in the window; couldn't get a clear shot but ....

[​IMG]

pipaluk and migdog like this.
  12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw 2 last weekend, but this is a much better shot than I could've got!

Saw month old white collared lemur twins in the cage roughly opposite the snow leopards

migdog likes this.
  13. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

It's difficult to get photos while they're still inside, what with the fence, reflections and the fact I'm a bit short :D
    I didn't see any Lemurs in those enclosures, only the Tamarins a little further along.

14. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In addition to the one-month-old White Collared Lemur twins opposite the Snow Leopards, an additional one-week-old youngster is just about visible in the main Lemur Breeding Centre.

I had no luck with the Quolls today.

15. migdog

We probably crossed paths today, I popped in on my lunch break (12:45-13:30). I caught a glimpse of the tail of the youngster in yhe Lemur centre. Had no luck with the twins...or the quolls

16. migdog

The hope is the quolls will be moved to their new enclosure this week. Relatively new species is blue crowned laughingthrush. There are plans to start build on a new snow leopard enclosure later in the year.

FunkyGibbon and littleRedPanda like this.
  17. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If the quolls are not moved to their new enclosure, will Linton Zoo get disquollified?

jayjds2, MagpieGoose and migdog like this.
  18. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I should think so too. I'm generally a fan of Linton, but their current Snow Leopard facility is woeful to say the least.

19. Tau

Tau Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Always rember that funds are hard to come by in these smaller family run zoos and improvements will always be made when they can. One good thing in regards to the current enclosure is that being split directly in half, no animal is compromised when it comes to breeding. The male may have to be kept away but he can still have the same equal space as the female.

I look forward to the new enclosure and if the new binturong enclosure is anything to go by, it should be a good one. Linton saves on the visitor thrills and theming, all the effort will go into and rightly so into the environment created within the enclosure.

Fingers crossed it wont be long until we have snow leopard cubs at linton once again.

migdog likes this.
  20. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I can't disagree with this (assuming it's the same one that was there five years ago and therfore has been for well over a decade).

Whilst I accept your point to some extent it does raise the (perhaps rhetorical) question, "how long is it acceptable for animals to be kept in a "sub-standard" enclosure"? It's a difficult one, is it acceptable for a zoo to house an animal in a poor enclosure with no realistic chance of significant improvement any time soon and is it more acceptable if they're breeding an endangered species.

I wince when I see a poor enclosure but realise the solution is not straightforward. For instance, sending animals to another zoo is not always possible (Dudley's Orangs) and euthanasia isn't really an option -the result is that many a collection is likely to (perhaps) necessarily hold an animal in a poor enclosure/situation until it dies (e.g. Twycross' "Green Mile", now thankfully gone).

The litmus test is arguably, does a zoo replace an animal that dies in a poor enclosure with another one (for themselves or the public) -I'm not sure how this would apply to Linton as they seem to have had a bad enclosure for more than a Snow Leopards typical lifespan?