Join our zoo community

Linton Zoological Gardens News from Linton Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by mhale, 10 Jun 2010.

1. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Now Linton's back open I chanced a lunch time stroll. Was quite busy but not crazy. The extended lion exhibit is coming along, part of the fence has now been put up. Only real thing of note is that the two Southern ground hornbills that were born last year are on show in the old binturong enclosure.

2. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Is the Humbug still spotty and stripey ?

3. zootiger

zootiger Well-Known Member

Never been to Linton wondering it's a worth the visit. Am interested mainly in cats so sad to see they've lost both leopards and clouded leopard. Zootierliste says they still have clouded leopard but assume this is a mistake?

4. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

They haven't had any in the few years I've been going.
    It is worth a visit if you are in the area, but be prepared for the relatively saddening snow leopard exhibit (imho)

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  5. Tau

Tau Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Linton is always worth a trip and a collection I would always consider a hidden gem.

If it is your first visit and one that may be hard to repeat I would be tempted to wait a couple of months to allow the gardens to flourish during the spring. It really is a beautiful place in the summer. Also the current developments may then be finished for you to see.

If you are into your cats then you will be able to see six lions in two groups, one Amur tiger and the two snow leopards. The binturong although not cats are in the same area and really do make a good show in their new enclosure.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  6. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Linton is one of the only places we've been in the UK that I was uncomfortable going back to and I believe it is because of that enclosure. We've only been the once and it was some time ago so my memory is a bit hazy - but I remember it being a leopard of some kind and the enclosure being completely sub-standard.

7. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

To be fair, the snow leopard enclosure is the only bad one in the zoo, some enclosures are e too big if anything. A new snow leopard enclosure is the next major project planned

8. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

At the time I was underwhelmed generally - but as I say this was a good few years ago and I am sure they have improved in the intervening time. Good to know an upgrade is planned for the snow leopard enclosure though.

9. Tau

Many of the animals have had their enclosures improved in recent years. Since 2010 many lemurs have been built new accomodation, the binturong have a new enclosure and many new bird aviaries have been built with most older ones extended.

The former leopard enclosures are currently now home to southern ground hornbills and one of the lion enclosures is now being extended and by the looks of it will be finished shortly. With the next project planned for the snow leopards I look forward to seeing what the zoo come up with.

Zia I urge you to repeat your visit this Summer!

Also I agree with Pipaluk. Some of the enclosures there are very large considering that that the zoo is not a large one, particularly for the grazing animals. The giant tortoise paddocks must be some of the largest areas around given over to reptiles and the zebra paddock takes up a large proportion of the whole site. The top hornbill aviary too is a very good size.

BeakerUK and pipaluk like this.
  10. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I'm certainly willing to give it another chance - it could well have been the former leopard enclosure you mention that I had the problem with.

11. littleRedPanda

From the gallery 2009
    [​IMG]

It looks better than the snow leopard enclosure, but probably because it's a isn't as dark.

12. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It's worth adding that the trio of eastern quolls make a fine exhibit and normally show themselves very well

BeakerUK and pipaluk like this.
  13. pipaluk

This enclosure was fine for 20year old leopard, it previously held Siberian Lynx, a lion cub amongst others. I'm sure it was the snow leopard cage Zia took exception to! It is the enclosure most criticise.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  14. littleRedPanda

I think so too.
    There is quite a lot of info in the comments to some of the older photos. Is the "aggresive" black leopard that went to Exmoor, the male that is there now?

15. pipaluk

The Exmoor website names their black leopard as Zoysa, which I'm 99% certain was the name of the Last black leopard at Linton which definitely went to Exmoor. The black leopard was kept in the larger enclosure (originally Puma cage) next to the one in the photo - this held Clouded leopard afterwards, now 3 Southern ground Hornbill

Tim May and littleRedPanda like this.
  16. Tau

The only other enclosure I can think of was Lisa Leopards former enclosure before she was moved to the one pictured above. It was opposite the snow leopards and was knocked down 10 years ago now and is now home to the model dinosaurs with signage about extinction.

And ofcourse the quoll how could I forget. The large kangaroo and wallaby paddock is also probably a more recent addition since your last visit Zia.

The enclosure pictured above housed Lisa the leopard very well up until her death in 2013 and like Pipaluk I struggle to see how such a complaint could be made about it. After holding binturong and more recently lemurs it is now home to more southern ground hornbills.

pipaluk likes this.
  17. pipaluk

The only down side to this exhibit is that the Uk's only Walleroo have gone - for now anyway

Tim May likes this.
  18. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited yesterday after a five year gap. Such a pretty little zoo, with the Quolls a highlight. They were both up and about around 1400hrs, enchanting creatures. There can't be many black animals with white spots around. Lovely.
    Other highlights were the breeding pair of Southern Ground Hornbills in their seriously big aviary, Hooded Vultures on a nest, two male Blyth's Hornbills, half grown Tapir still with baby markings, European Pond Terrapins and Hartmann Mountain Zebras. The flight restricted but very handsome pair of Ruppell's Griffon Vultures in their open topped enclosure are a puzzle. I could not see whether they were feather clipped or pinioned. If the latter, I imagine they are old birds from the days when this was acceptable.

Brum, pipaluk and Zorro like this.
  19. Tau

Interesting event happening linked to Linton Zoo:

"Evening of mediumship - Mediums Annn Fordham & Rosie Keen take the platform for a fundraiser evening to support Linton Zoo. This evening includes a raffle with some brilliant prizes to be won. An educational fun animal encounter where you can get up & close to some of the zoos smaller animals.

Only £5 with tickets available on the door."

On 5th April 7:30 at Cambridge Spiritualist Church 662 Newmarket Road, Cambridge, CB5 8RS

This fundraiser is to raise money for a new snow leopard enclosure and a new house for giant tortoises. It appears that there may be more fundraising events this year to raise the money needed to see these developments through. Certainly a very exciting time for the zoo with the building work already happening with new aviaries and the new lion enclosure very near completion.

FBBird likes this.
  20. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

0.0.2 Binturong's born on 13th April 2019:

Linton Zoo

pipaluk and Kifaru Bwana like this.