Join our zoo community

Peak Wildlife Park News from Peak

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Javan Rhino, 12 May 2016.

1. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member

To start a new news thread, 2 maneless zebras have arrived at the park

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member

Good, I won't have to go all the way to Colchester to see them now.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

They came from where?

I am not sure that given the current state of the park we should rejoice or cry dear mother me …! Peak (ahum Blackbrook is not exactly well known for being climatically a suitable savannah area …, so if they do well is anybody's guess …).

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Very true words, they kept zebra back in the days of it being Blackbrook, and due to the conditions they spent about 8 months of the year, on the hardstanding and the house. Which for those that remember the old place is now the lemur house in the walk through, the hardstanding is the small concrete area in front of that house, so let's hope they have a large hardstanding than they, had in the past because they will need it!!!

5. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member

Recent visit

I visited last Thursday , a warm August day . The place was very busy , the car park has been extended - I think over where the brown pelicans once were - and was just about full . It does appear to be popular with families , children were enjoying stroking wallabies and giant rabbits and getting close to lemurs , as well as using the play areas .

It was sad to see the remnants of Blackbrook enclosures and to remember what was exhibited here not long ago . The whole area where many of the storks , cranes , waterfowl etc. lived now has only play areas and a giant rabbit walk-through .

The maneless zebras ( one was virtually maneless , the other had a blonde mane ) are housed in a corner paddock behind the wallabies , the ground looked rather rough with more weeds than grass . The whole area below the current walk-throughs and down to the road seemed to have recently been surrounded by new fencing with double entry/exit gates . A few Vietnamese sika deer ( unlabelled , got the identity from Facebook ) are in here though not labelled .

I did not see any capybara in with the penguins , but several mara . No sign of brown lemurs , only two female black and white ruffed and a breeding group of ring-tailed . The meercat are still in their original enclosure , domestic sheep and goats in the adjoining 'African village' . In an aviary in the courtyard outside the cafe a red squirrel was seen ( not labelled ) .

A large covered but open-fronted food outlet is now open outside the cafe ( which only has a tiny counter area ) , the pizzas were popular and looked tasty .

Many of the exhibits are copies of those at Manor House WP - lemur walk-through with same fencing , wallaby walk-through , African village , giant rabbit walk-through .

As a zoo-nerd I much preferred the old Blackbrook but have to admit the new incarnation seems to be much more popular . It is a shame they are 'anti-cage' - like Yorkshire WP - which will limit possible future exhibits , especially as a lot of decent aviaries are still present .

6. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member

Any news on whether the lions will be arriving from Armenia or have I missed that ? Nice to see zoos/safari parks rescuing animals rather than over breeding, hard work I know but so rewarding :)

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member

8. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member

I suppose they could house the 3 lions alongside the young pair of tigers at Manor House . There are two outside enclosures and the house has a number of dens . The close proximity could prove stressful for both species . In the old days different species of big cats were housed very close to each other in Cat Houses e.g. London and Bristol .

I did look but was was surprised to see nothing about the Lion Rescue Project at Peak .

9. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member

Recent arrivals include a pair of Black Lemurs and two Kirks Dik Dik

10. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member

Female Asian Short-clawed Otter, 2 year old Ruby, has arrived at the park to partner with male Jude. Ruby has come from WWT Washington.