Join our zoo community

Zoo Płock News from Płock

Discussion in 'Poland' started by m...k, 17 Mar 2012.

1. m...k

m...k Active Member

First beaded lizard Heloderma horridum hatched. There are few eggs more.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When is the renovation work for the Giraffe House finished here?
    Any info on planning and that?

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A Somali wild ass was born recently :).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Two young Indian elephant males left the zoo yesterday and moved to Attica Zoo in Spata. In the spring will come two younger elephants from Emmen.

5. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I'm planning to visit Plock Zoo on Saturday so I've tried to find some information about it, but there seems to be very little about the zoo on ZooChat. Does anyone have any advice or know any particular things to look out for? Based on Zootierliste, Plock seems to have quite a few unusual freshwater fish.

6. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

So now that I've visited Plock Zoo, I may as well post a few brief things here as I have done for Lodz Zoo in the Lodz news thread. I have also uploaded a few pictures from Plock Zoo to the gallery here: Zoo Płock - Photo Galleries | ZooChat

Plock is not a huge zoo, but it's a substantial enough size to be a half-day visit. The location of the zoo is very nice being right on the Vistula river with some woodlands in and directly next to the zoo grounds with some nice wild birds like waxwings, treecreepers, and Crested Tits.

Considering the size of the zoo, it has quite a diverse collection with a range of different birds, primates, and large and small mammals, however the major highlight of the collection is the very large (relative to the rest of the zoo) terrarium, and the similarly large aquarium located in the basement below with a nice collection including a few unusual species. In particular there were a lot of small fish that are unusual in zoos (according to zootierliste) but can sometimes be found in large aquarium shops (e.g. Poecilia salvatoris, Liberty Molly).

A lot of the zoo is quite modern and looked fairly new, and there weren't any obviously really old enclosures, though it was obvious that the zoo didn't have the budget to match some of Poland's bigger zoos like Warsaw, Wroclaw, or Poznan and enclosures weren't built to quite the high standard of the new enclosures in those zoos. There were some noticeably poor enclosures though and the elephant enclosure in particular was really very small (the picture in the gallery shows the entirety of the outdoor enclosure) and the big cat and giraffe enclosures were on the small side too but the zoo doesn't really have the area to build huge enclosures for its larger mammals.

Not a bad zoo though, all in all.

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A Malayan Tapir has arrived from Amsterdam

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

The last born male of the former breeding pair (the breeding female sadly passed away this year).

9. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

In autumn 2018 there were several births in Płock zoo: 2 pygmy marmosets (in ZTL as Cebuella pygmaea pygmaea), 1 scimitar-horned oryx, 1 pileated gibbon, 1 southern three-banded armadillo and 2 persian leopards!
    It's a second litter of a leopard pair Orlando (m, born in France) and Sulakhat (f); one cub was also born this year, but unfortunately didn't survive. I was lucky to observe him for his first weeks.

In zoo also hatched 2 scarlet ibis and european bee-eater, for the first time for Płock.
    (Source: Płock zoo FB)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

Nice breeding result with pileated gibbon. Did not know they had these in the collection!!!

Neva likes this.
  11. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

Agree! Płock zoo is quite small but has really nice species ;)

12. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

A female snow leopard is coming to Płock!
    Basira was born in Wuppertal and she will join a male - Dexter (born in Opole zoo).
    When I visited Wuppertal in September last year, I was told that a young female will leave Wuppertal and move to Poland. And yesterday I finally saw this information in a short film about this transfer. Fingers crossed for Płock's new pair snow leopards' success :)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

14. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

New lions arrived at Zoo plock this week. They are the 1-year old male Ullra from Burgers' Zoo in the Netherlands. And two females, 6-year-old Chipo and 3-year-old Kimani, from Wildlands also in the Netherlands.

Source: Facebook ZOO Plock

15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2 Red-crowned cranes have been hatched.

Kifaru Bwana and Antoine like this.
  16. Michel L'HUILLIER

Michel L'HUILLIER Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Persian leopard NAIM/ORLANDO died at Zoo Płock.
    He was born at Parc des Félins (France) in 2012, and was transfered to Zoo Płock in 2013.