Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden News From the Cincinnati Zoo 2011 #1

Discussion in 'United States' started by Kudu21, 4 Jan 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

no not all the galagos have moved im surprised they took the potto out because they have 7 of them.

im not saying the animals should be used for only entertainment

2. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is interesting that they moved the pottos from Jungle Trails. At one point there were at least three Potto exhibits spread out across the zoo (two in Jungle Trails and one in the Nocturnal House), but now there is just a single exhibit in Night Hunters.

I figured you didn't mean it the way it sounded. I was just trying to provide a point as to why I disagreed with you, as well to provide insight on why the Grey Bamboo Lemurs are such valuable animals in the zoo's collection :)

3. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

two potto exhibits in jungle trails?

4. dpatters28

dpatters28 Active Member

Wow, I had no idea there were two potto exhibits at Jungle Trails. Based on what I've seen on YouTube videos and the zoo's Facebook page, it appears they are starting to use pottos as ambassadors, much like the aardvark, wallabies and baby alligators. Though, it's odd. Last year everytime I went to the zoo there were animals being walked around the zoo. This year... well... I saw some kids petting a hissing cockroach and that's about it.

5. Kudu21

There used to be at least two potto exhibits in Jungle Trails. First, there was the exhibit that they lived in up until Night Hunters (Now holding African Striped Weasels), and then there was an exhibit further on in the African building that has since held reptiles (In order of appearance: Radiated Tortoise, Black-throated Monitor, Dumeril's Boa)

@dpatters28- I've also noticed that. So far this year I've only seen docents out with an Eastern Screech Owl and a Blue-tongued Skink. However, there was a docent booth out by the Indian Rhinoceros yards (The two used by Nikki) with an Ocelot pelt, Sumatran Rhinoceros hair, several other pelts and skulls, as well as some "Rhino Trading Cards". I thought it was kind of neat that the zoo had made up their own trading cards with information on each of their rhinos.

6. dpatters28

dpatters28 Active Member

True, but I don't care for looking at hairs, pelts and skulls. I want to interact with the real, living, breathing animal. I know you can't go around petting tigers or polar bears, but I enjoyed my zoo experience so much more when I was able to interact with the animals rather than just looking at them.

7. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Cincinnati is becoming very well represented on this site. To me, this is a positive thing.

8. Kudu21

I know what you mean, and I have to agree. I really enjoy walking around the grounds and talking with the friendly and informative docents and their animals (Well... mostly informative, as one docent was quite off with the okapi information she gave me! ;)).The Cincinnati Zoo has such a nice docent program, so it's a shame that it isn't out in a strong force this year like it has been in the past. I only said that about the pelts and skulls to show how little docent activity I've seen this year.

@groundskeeper24- I agree. It's nice that the zoo is becoming so well represented here :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.