Join our zoo community

Thrigby Hall Wildlife Gardens News from Thrigby Hall

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Badgerman91, 20 Sep 2011.

1. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

I will be visiting THWG for the first time over the weekend when i am up in Norfolk, but i was just wondering if anyone had any recent news at all about the park as their website provides you with nothing!! :( And also what people thought about the park?

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

First visit

I did try to start a new thread, but after spending over half hour writing a detailed review i got thrown out!
    Briefly though, i thoroughly enjoyed my first visit today. It is an interesting collection with reasonable enclosures and very good value at 11.50 entrance!
    The zoo is far better than its very out of date website, i which doesn't list several species including snow leopards(which from the gallery i see they've had ages,), i was surprised to see Scottish Wildcat (maybe only temporary holding), Owstons Civet, sugar glider, slow loris and a few others.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

That's definitely news; were they kept in the usual mirrored box?

6. pipaluk

I think there is only one, it is in the first enclosure in Cats' Cloisters, so has a good sized outdoor area, glass fronted and glass fronted indoor area. It was lying in it's box when i got there, but climbed down and came up to the glass to have a good look at me.

7. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting.....as they used to be in purpuse built enclosure at the beginning of the lakeside bird area......

8. pipaluk

The golden cat was in that enclosure yesterday.

9. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You lucky sod. What time of day was this? I'm hopefully visiting next weekend and I'm looking for anyway of increasing my chance of finally seeing one of these awake and out of the sleeping box.

10. pipaluk

It was the first place i went, so must have been just after 1030.

11. TeaLovingDave

You lucky, lucky bastard. :D

12. pipaluk

I did have a very lucky day! Having not been before I didn' know what to expect, but having spent 4 hours there i abandoned the possibility of making a 15 minute diversion to Banham on my way home (Saved me 15 quid too!). Banham is ok, but personally i'd pick Thrigby everytime for its rarities alone!

13. TeaLovingDave

Get any decent photos to upload of some of the rarities?

14. pipaluk

I'm afraid i'm not really a photographer, i don't have a camera! Only take the odd picture on my phone(which is good as phone cameras go) as a record of what i've seen, got some very good shots of the clouded leopard and a red panda from about 2-3 feet posing at the end of the branch, but the mesh & distance from the golden cat meant thats not up to much. The Owstons Civet indoors was fairly dark, so i think that wasn't up to much either.
    I'm not great with technology, so wouldn't know how to load them anyway! As i said i tried to start a new 2013 thread with my review that had taken ages, but lost that after the site said i wasn't logged in, which i clearly was!!

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

what happens is that if you sit idle on the site for an extended period (which includes just typing, because you're not clicking on anything) the site automatically logs you out for security reasons. Best thing to do is to type out reviews on your computer (e.g. in a word document) and then cut and paste it onto Zoochat when you're finished.

16. pipaluk

Thanks, that would explain it ! Shame for me i had to learn from my own error, but it may save a few others from wasting their time!

17. pipaluk

Since this thread is fairly old,with little news, i've thought of a couple of things that are 'news' from my 'lost' review:
    Both pairs of siamang appear to have produced young fairly recently(in the last year), one looked very young.
    There is also there is an older Lar Gibbon youngster too, but that could be older than start of this thread, i'm hopeless on primate age judging!
    The 3 stump tailed macaques are in a cage between gibbon ones and the Sulawesi are back in the open topped moated enclosure, numbering 5

18. Glutton

Glutton Member

Visited yesterday. Another baby lar gibbon (about 4 weeks old) to add to their family group. Also young cheer pheasants, little egrets and by the looks of it several harvest mice.

19. SnowCat

SnowCat Well-Known Member

Amur Leopards.

Since I've asked THWG many time and had no reply, does anyone know WHY THWG had both Amur Leopard cubs neutered in 2008?? It makes no sense to me or the collection that currently houses them.

20. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is it a possibility there was impurity in the bloodline?