Join our zoo community

Thrigby Hall Wildlife Gardens News from Thrigby Hall

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Badgerman91, 20 Sep 2011.

1. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Do somebody know how much Clouded leopards are in the zoo and what are their names?

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They have one clouded leopard.

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Feb 2020
  3. Jungle Man

Thanks @zoogiraffe and that clouded leopard is Nimbus right? But in ZT it appears that in 2018 there were 1.3 leopards at the facility,are they gone?

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I do know it's been a long time since they had more than 1 clouded leopard

5. Jungle Man

6. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Yes - it is Nimbus who moved from Cotswold Wildlife Park.

Kifaru Bwana and TNT like this.
  7. Jungle Man

Thanks Zia for the info

Zia likes this.
  8. Jungle Man

Kifaru Bwana, Antoine and Benosaurus like this.
  9. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Visited yesterday hoping to see the Snow leopard cubs, but predictably they are not venturing (or being brought) out yet, born early July.
    Looking at the gallery and previous posts, I see no mention of the new Civet housing. There is indoor and outdoor areas for them (yes, two) as well as a monitor with cameras in those bits and a more private sleeping den (which is where they remained during my visit.).
    The Clouded leopard and Leopard cat enclosure are pretty smart improvements on my last visit.

TNT likes this.
  10. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Did you happen to get any photos? I'm sure we'd love to see them please :)

11. littleRedPanda

TNT likes this.
  12. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

Can I just ask how busy the zoo was? Been wanting to visit but worried how social distancing etc has been managed at the zoo.

13. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

'Business' is not the only issue with social distancing. Behaviour of visitors, layout and other factors are just as important. All zoos will seem quite busy in the summer, even this year; although numbers can be controlled in a way difficult or impossible in other outdoor venues. Individual opinion will vary greatly as the Government fear campaign was very successful. An example is one of our neighbours who is still too frightened to leave her house and garden. If you are worried enough about social distancing to ask the question, I would suggest you wait until the autumn before visiting anywhere. It is only a few weeks away...

14. Badgerman91

This isn’t the place to be commenting over a “fear” campaign but one could argue when you see the rates of infection and death toll increase daily (globally not just in the UK) that it is right that people are still being cautious and asking questions on forums such as this with people who have been to the businesses recently before visiting themselves.

Sand Cat and Mo Hassan like this.
  15. Andrew Swales

I dont see why not. I was simply using it as an example of how varied peoples opinions are, and how variable public behaviour is, and why - and I was advising caution to anyone concerned. As individual opinion is so variable, it is difficult to see how the opinion of others would help you make up your own mind. I would repeat - 'If you are worried enough about social distancing to ask the question, I would suggest you wait until the autumn before visiting anywhere. It is only a few weeks away...'

hmb_zoo and pipaluk like this.
  16. Badgerman91

I again add the Thrigby hall forum isn’t the place to be debating the governments policy and its management of the COVID19 outbreak this was never the intention of my post- there are plenty of other forums in which this can be debated whatever your view.

And I Thankyou for your input- I respectfully circle back to my original question and ask have you visited this collection in the past couple of weeks to provide me some details, aswell as your opinion, of how busy the zoo was and how it managed to provide a good customer experience against the restrictions of a global pandemic we all find ourselves in?

As isn’t that how well rounded individuals learn, they gather together various information and opinion from multiple sources and from there make their own opinions and views on the world?

17. Andrew Swales

OK - I hope you manage to find the information you are asking for, and that it helps you make a personal decision. No, I have not been to Thrigby and would be reluctant to comment if I had, in case my own opinion influenced your decision. I still think, given the tone of your comments, that it would be best to avoid a visit anywhere during the busy summer season, as whatever someone else's opinion, you might not agree..

Badgerman91 likes this.
  18. littleRedPanda

I would echo what Andrew has said in that if you are worried, then wait a while. Although there is lots of open space to distance yourself from others, the actual exhibits will attract strangers to within a metre of you. I didn't go in any of the inside exhibits, but the Cat Cloisters did have quite a steady stream of people passing though. The picnic benches were were almost full for the two hours I was there, but the queues for the toilets, food/ice cream outlets and shop were minimal.

Badgerman91 likes this.
  19. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

@Andrew Swales is right - any collection is going to be busiest over this summer period and whether or not you think the zoo is managing the situation well is a very personal opinion. It also doesn't matter what the zoo has put in place if peoples behaviour does not conform to what is wanted. That entirely depends who is there on the day - and having visited 3 different collections during this time I can confirm this can vary wildly. If you are concerned - wait for the schools to go back (assuming they do of course).

Thrigby have information on their website advising the measures they have in place. All you can do is decide if this meets your expectations - but be aware that not all other guests will follow the measures:

Plan Your Visit

pipaluk and Badgerman91 like this.
  20. littleRedPanda

Photos of the Civet enclosure now uploaded.

pipaluk, TNT and Antoine like this.