Join our zoo community

Weltvogelpark Walsrode news from Walsrode 2022

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Unenlagia90, 6 Jan 2022.

1. StreptopeliaNL

StreptopeliaNL Member

Does anyone know if the green oropendola and the montezuma oropendola are still being kept/on show? And if yes, where exactly?
    I've been to Walsrode a few times now, but missed them everytime. Even my last visit, last summer, I went into the Rosencafe, but could not find them.

And does anyone know where to spot the Sulawesi myna?

2. Daniel Sörensen

Daniel Sörensen Birdlover Premium Member 5+ year member

Both species of oropendolas are kept in the aviaries behind the rosencafe still. These are only accessible from the inside of the rosencafe through 5 windows.
    These windows are located at the back wall of the building in the large main room and have tables with seating right in front of them. Oropendola aviaries in the restaurant - ZooChat

My best tip is to eat lunch or just order cake/ice-cream at the rosencafe and place yourself in the seating by one of the windows, ideally the middle table as that has a view of both aviaries at the same time.

The Sulawesi Mynas are kept in the aviaries right outside the door of the kiwi house. They are pretty shy though. Here: Aviaries and the entrance to the Kiwi house (24/3-19) - ZooChat

Last edited: 23 Apr 2022
  3. StreptopeliaNL

StreptopeliaNL Member

Quick reply, thanks! I am going to check out today, because I am just entering the park now ☺️

Daniel Sörensen and Haliaeetus like this.
  4. StreptopeliaNL

StreptopeliaNL Member

I visited Walsrode both saturday and sunday. Went to the Rosencafe. The part with the aviaries behind the windows was closed for lunch (people had to sit outside or on the other, smaller, inside part of the cafe), but the waiter let me in to watch the birds behind the windows, this was no problem. Unfortunately I did not see any of the oropendolas. I only saw the Solitary tinamous and the Reeves's pheasant.

I did managed to see two Sulawesi mynas. As Daniel mentioned, they are indeed pretty shy. They were outside but flew directly inside when I approached. I decided to keep a few meters distance and wait what would happen. The Sulawesi mynas were In two seperated aviaries, divided by an aviary with the Cayenne jay in the middle. The fun thing was that the Cayenne jay was the first one to come back outside, and the two mynas followed immediatly. When the Cayenne jay flew back inside, so the mynas did, and so on. I was lucky to make a few decent photo's of the mynas!

The Marail guans were not outside both days unfortunately. Better luck next time. The horned guan was outside for a short time (one of my favourites). I noticed there's one Papuan mountain-pigeon in it's aviary, and it seems it's bonding with the horned guan. It goes wherever the guan goes. Nice combination!

Conclusion, it was a great weekend at Walsrode and I hope to come back later this season.

ThylacineAlive and Haliaeetus like this.
  5. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I didn't see the Marail guans either on my visit in april. Missed the black curassow as well. The horned guan also was out for only a very short time in the morning, but I got more extensive looks at that species back in 2017.

I had no trouble seeing the Sulawesi mynas (until I tried to get closer for a picture) but the Cayenna jay never came out during multiple attemps (I got a quick glance of them in their indoor enclosure through the hatch thou)

StreptopeliaNL and Haliaeetus like this.
  6. Unenlagia90

Unenlagia90 Well-Known Member

Does anybody know how the recent numbers and breeding of the Madagascar sacred ibis and Madagascar pond herons? ZTL does not cites post-2010s records although they do list them as current holdings of Walsrode.

Walsrode bred both of them in 2020, and sent some to other zoos in Germany and Czech Republic, I only know.

7. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not sure on current numbers but I know at the end of 2020, Walsrode had about 80-90 of the ibis and 50 pond-herons. Around that time they also sent about 40 ibises and a dozen and a half herons to US zoos but I'm not sure whether or not the numbers I reported for Walsrode are with those birds removed or not.

~Thylo

JurassicMax and KevinB like this.
  8. StreptopeliaNL

StreptopeliaNL Member

Could the Malagasy pond herons be behind the scene? I didn’t see this species last year or this year in the park.

9. Daniel Sörensen

A short update with 4 new species for the park:
    * Reeves's pheasant (Syrmaticus reevesii)
    * Pale-headed rosella (Platycercus adscitus (palliceps?))
    * Satyr tragopan (Tragopan satyra)
    * Dusky lory (Pseudeos fuscata)

Full list: WVP Walsrode - New species 2022

10. Unenlagia90

Does anybody also know the current numbers of Peruvian pelicans, Solitary tinamous, Madagascar blue pigeon and Red-billed curassows in Walsrode?

11. Unenlagia90

:( All common species kept in zoos and private aviculture…

12. Unenlagia90

In large extent, yes. It is very hard for such a big, and increasing population to be completely exterminated.

Walsrode is leading for breeding MSIs and MPHs, so they can work with others like Tsimbazaza Zoo in Madagascar and Jurong Bird Park in Singapore to preserve this species and even for a reintroduction plan!

13. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any clue where the ibis ended up?

14. Sicarius

Sicarius Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to Zootierliste, the park has Crimson topaz hummingbirds (Topaza pella) in the Kolibrihaus now. The only zoo in Europe to have these for almost 100 years.

15. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I was there last year and the only place we saw them (or a label) was in the breeding room window by the Paradise Hall.

16. Unenlagia90

A Guianan species, again. But was cool, because it was a hummingbird species that was long-lost in Europe.

So, I think the next bunch must include the White-necked jacobin and Ruby topaz!

17. Daniel Sörensen

You're right about the Ruby topaz (Chrysolampis mosquitus), they are also reported as seen on zootierliste now.

18. Daniel Sörensen

Last edited: 18 May 2022
  19. Unenlagia90

Too bad they didn't get a female.

20. Merintia

Merintia Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I visited the park the past week and I saw what I think was a young male Crimson Topaz, a total surprise since I had no idea they got this species. Didn´t see the Mango or the Ruby Topaz, on the other hand.