Join our zoo community

Weltvogelpark Walsrode news from Walsrode 2022

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Unenlagia90, 6 Jan 2022.

1. Unenlagia90

Unenlagia90 Well-Known Member

They also got one Yellow-headed blackbird (Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus), which is the only one at European zoos.

I don't know why for this species and the mango, they only get one individual. Also, does anybody know the current numbers of the two species of topaz in Walsrode?

2. Daniel Sörensen

Daniel Sörensen Birdlover Premium Member 5+ year member

Interesting, I was sure it was a misidentified Yellow-hooded blackbird when I saw the report on zootierliste (as they kept that species in the same area of the park), but I guess not?

But, I just saw the photo on zootierliste of the individual, and I'm pretty sure that I actually saw and photographed this bird already last year, will have to check my files. I got help identying it to a Yellow-hooded female, but I guess that was wrong then!

Last edited: 26 May 2022
  3. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The ZTL photo looks like a Yellow-headed to me, for what it's worth. Would be interested to see your photo!

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. Unenlagia90

According to ZTL the White-bearded manakin (Manacus manacus) in Walsrode has now only a female on display.

Does anybody know the current status of males of the park because there were males imported last year.

5. Daniel Sörensen

Seems like I was right about seeing the species in 2021 at least, as Tomek photographed the female back in October 2020 already!

Other than that, a short update with new species (including the hummingbirds from earlier as well):
    * Crimson topaz hummingbird (Topaza pella)

* Ruby-topaz hummingbird (Chrysolampis mosquitus)
    * Black-throated mango (Anthracothorax nigricollis)
    * Yellow-headed blackbird (Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus)
    - Actually not new, but newly identified/reported.
    * Painted bunting (Passerina ciris)
    * Sulawesi collared kingfisher (Todiramphus chloris chloris) - Not new either, but they are now on show again (In the paradieshalle).

Bold text = No other European zoo currently keeping the species/subspecies.

Google list: WVP Walsrode - New species 2022

6. Daniel Sörensen

I usually wait with reporting species until I have a few to report, but these feel important so I don't want to wait ;)
    Two new rare species for the park:
    * Pompadour cotinga (Xipholena punicea) - Unique to WVP Walsrode in Europe.
    * Yellow-green grosbeak (Caryothraustes canadensis) - Only kept in one zoo in Hungary, and one in Russia (According to zootierliste).

Complete list: WVP Walsrode - New species 2022

7. Unenlagia90

They had the Pompadour cotinga before but was phased out in 2018. It's nice to see this species back!

8. Unenlagia90

They also got the Epaulet oriole and Slate-colored grosbeak, both unique in Europe. I wonder if they get any other new species besides the four South American passerines mentioned above?

9. Daniel Sörensen

Another new species reported yesterday is the Black-spotted barbet (Capito niger).
    All 3 added to the Google sheets, a friend of mine saw all 3 yesterday.

Also, both the yellow-green grosbeak and the slate-colored grosbeaks seem to be a pair of each, kept free-flying in the Jungle Trail (for anyone that is trying to see them).
    The oriole is kept in the fasanerie (not signed a the moment), and the barbets in Pukara (not signed either).

Last edited: 22 Jun 2022
  10. Unenlagia90

The Malagasy pond herons were exhibited again.

11. Daniel Sörensen

Reported as seen hinter den kulissen/behind the scenes. So not officially on show it seems like, but could still be seen, I guess (you can for example see the aviaries behind the freiflughalle pretty well from far away) .

(the area called "Blick hinter die Kulissen" is most often reported with the full name, just so no one gets confused).

Last edited: 22 Jun 2022
  12. Unenlagia90

They also got the Collared pratincole (Glareola pratincola)

ThylacineAlive and Platypusboy like this.
  13. Daniel Sörensen

We are now in July! So it seems like the talk from the park about putting a Harpy on show "by June at the latest" did not get achieved - sad, but the species could still be kept behind the scenes.
    The large aviary that they talked about building by the entrance, for the park's 60th birthday this summer, shows no signs of planning or progress either.

Here's a list with the latest reported new species all in the same list for an easier overview (including all that's been sporadically reported in the thread since my latest list on June 19th):
    • Epaulet oriole (Icterus cayanensis)

• Black-spotted barbet (Capito niger)
    • Slate-coloured grosbeak (Saltator grossus)
    • Collared pratincole (Glareola pratincola)
    • Red-headed quelea (Quelea erythrops)

Bold text = Unique to Walsrode in Europe
    Updated Google sheets list: WVP Walsrode - New species 2022

Also, some changes & information species/subspecies wise:
    • The Eastern bluebonnets were previously reported as of unknown subspecies status, but have now been changed/identified as red-winged bluebonnet (Northiella haematogaster haematorrhoa).
    • The collared trogons have now been changed/identified as subspecies puella (Trogon collaris puella).
    • All Paradise tanagers currently on show in the park seem to be of the subspecies paradisea (Zootierliste lists both the subspecies paradisea and chilensis for Walsrode, but no chilensis are on show anymore).
    • Some people have been wondering about the report for shining honeycreeper (Cyanerpes lucidus) at Walsrode, and now I've found the original source/person who reported this species.
    Turns out that one of the park's purple honeycreeper males most likely is a shining honeycreeper - these two species are extremely similar and hard to tell apart, but some differences are apparent if you know what you're looking for. The person also talked to an expert, who agreed with the claim that at least one of Walsrode's purple honeycreepers (Cyanerpes caeruleus) actually is a shining honeycreeper (Cyanerpes lucidus).

14. Unenlagia90

They also got the Moriche oriole (Icterus cayanensis chrysocephalus).

Haliaeetus and Platypusboy like this.
  15. Daniel Sörensen

The person who reported the Moriche on zootierliste removed the Epaulet report and added the Moriche report instead saying that "the individual" looks more to be a Moriche Oriole.
    But the person seems to only have seen one individual (but there are 2 in that aviary) and one of those 2 is said to clearly be an Epaulet, while the ID of the other one (the reported Moriche) still remains questionable - but one theory is that it is a hybrid as it is said to not have enough yellow to be a pure Moriche - I do not have enough knowledge about orioles to judge that though.

So the conclusion seems to be that one individual is said to clearly be an Epaulet Oriole, while the reported Moriche individual eventually is a hybrid (but this remains under revision and more information might pop up).

Just thought I would add this information to the report of the Moriche (Source is the notice board on zootierliste, and a friend of mine who saw both birds).

Other than that, I've updated the spreadsheet with West African pied hornbill (Lophoceros semifasciatus) - WVP Walsrode - New species 2022

They also have a male white-bearded manakin (Manacus manacus) on show again in the kolibrihaus.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2022
    vogelcommando and Platypusboy like this.
  16. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I defenitely visited too early this year, so many cool species have been added since april... Oh well, it gives me a reason to go back again.

Platypusboy and Daniel Sörensen like this.
  17. Unenlagia90

Another new species (re-exhibited) in the park is the Pink-headed fruit dove (Ptilinopus porphyreus).

Platypusboy likes this.
  18. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Said person was me, I was unaware they had two individuals at the park. The moriche-like bird could be a hybrid but I found pictures online of wild birds that presented few yellow on the crown (like the Walsrode bird) in places where according to birdsoftheworld no hybridation is known (like the Guianas and Brazil). In conclusion, I don't think we can be certain for sure if it's a hybrid or not but I'm definitely no expert on either taxon so I'll leave the judgment to more knowledgeable people.

Well visible during my visit. Sadly no Blue-backed manakin seen though.

I have also seen what seemed to be a Channel-billed toucan in one of the off-show aviaries visible in the hinter den kulissen area. Haven't added to zootierliste yet but I think it's a new species for the park.

Daniel Sörensen likes this.
  19. Daniel Sörensen

Nice to hear! They used to keep channel-billed of the nominate subspecies, but they haven't been seen in the park since 2020 and got removed from zootierliste some time back. So nice to see that the park still keeps that beautiful species

Mehdi likes this.
  20. Unenlagia90

I would like to know some new breeding news of Walsrode this year, so far I only know that the Flightless steamer duck has been bred in Walsrode this year. Does anybody know news of other species that has been bred in Walsrode this year?