Join our zoo community

Warsaw Zoo News from Warsaw

Discussion in 'Poland' started by Nisha, 27 Feb 2012.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I can confirm Allen's Swamp Monkey (Monkey House, mixed with Ring-tailed Lemurs), Bronze-naped Pigeons (Bird House walkthrough) and Pin-tailed Sandgrouse, Ruffed Grouse and See-see Partridge (all in Bird House outdoor aviaries) were all on show and visible as of Saturday 11th May. Red-knobbed Imperial Pigeon was labelled in the Bird House walkthrough but extensive searching failed to locate any!

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great, what about the Hazel grouse? I will be visiting this weekend and I haven't seen them in nearly 20 years...

3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

No Hazel Grouse on show anywhere we could see I'm afraid (the only other grouse labelled were Black Grouse but we couldn't see any, only their Nutcracker friend).

4. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was told by a zookeeper two weeks ago that Red-knobbed Imperial Pigeon are no more in the collection.

5. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I didn't see Black grouse either a few weeks back. I'm sure it was/is not on display at the moment despite being labelled.

6. lintworm

I visited Warsaw Zoo two days ago and it is a rather strange place. It has none of the size limitations that many city zoos have and it has plenty of empty space to expand animal enclosures. It has a traditional taxonomically ordered lay-out with a bird house, reptile house etc. But the zoo is a pain to navigate as there is no clear route and a lot of backtracking is necessary. It is however very nice to have a zoo where there is a surprise around every corner and there is none of that annoying cultural theming and hardly any fake mock rock.

Collectionwise it is a zoo that has basically all ABC species + rarities for zoo nerds and many of the older enclosures are relatively spacious for their age and some of them are much larger than what other zoos have built in recent years, e.g. for the Lions and Grey seals. There are however still a few spots where the zoo is quite badly outdated like the Polar bears, the Primate house and most raptor & owl cages. It is however shocking that some of the newer developments/ renovations are quite inadequate like the Elephant house and the Hippo enclosure, especially outdoors. Both the bird and reptile house need renovations and here the zoo will need to move away from showcasing as many species as possible, but focus on less species in adequate enclosures... Given the space available there is however no particular need for reducing the number of species, but the available space needs to be used better.

I was surprised to find hardly any reference to the role the zoo played in hiding jews in WW2, even though there are commercial opportunities, especially after the recent movie The Zookeepers wife.

Overall this zoo lacks behind the huge improvements I have seen in the Czech Republic, but it certainly is not a bad zoo. It lacks a star attraction and some real rarities outside the bird department to justify a specific trip to Warsaw.

7. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is possible to visit the Żabińskis' villa. A few details at zoo.waw.pl/willa (also in English).

8. lintworm

Thanks for the info.

I have uploaded several enclosure pictures of Warsaw in the gallery in the meantime:
    Warsaw Zoo - ZooChat

9. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

Something new with elephant cows? Still no calves? Why doesn't AI try?

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Jul 2019
  10. Elephantelephant

Unfortunately, Poland has no experience in breeding elephants. There was only one calf born in 1937. I hope he will soon break the bad luck. I wish them so much...

Arek and sooty mangabey like this.
  11. Arek

I think not soon. Both zoos Warszawa and Poznań have no family groups of elephants but groups of random elephants (particularly Poznań). Keepers trying but without effects. Maybe lack of experience, maybe lack of practice in another zoos. AI? Rather no, in Warsaw zoo director is „bird man” (with very good results) in Poznań zoo director is very strange person with a strange approach to zoos, so elephants aren’t priority. I think that only Wrocław will breed elephants, but that's in 10-15 years, when new elephant house will be ready.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. lintworm

There have been (attempted) mating in Warsaw in May, but the Elephants were too far back to see whether the mating was successful...

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Elephantelephant

Mating with Buba or Fryderyka?

14. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Who were the elephants watching? :p

jwer and Crowthorne like this.
  15. Arek

Attempts to mating observed several times in last couple of years but without effects.

16. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The immature bull has been mounting females for many years, but without a pregnancy. The zoo did nothing special to encourage breeding and seems to be content with non-breeding showcase elephants. I suspect females now, like most non-breeding middle-aged elephants, by now cannot get pregnant.

17. Elephantelephant

Yet there is still hope ... It is possible that Leon still doesn't know, or is barren.

18. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

Some updates for Warsaw :)

Before we go for birds, it's time to announce a birth of Maned wolves (19.11.2019) - 4 pups could be seen now at the enclosure.

A few months ago North american porcupines replaced Geoffroy's cat (cats went off-show and are still at the zoo).

Sadly, a female black jaguar Beata passed away. She was born in Olomouc and in 2004 came to Warsaw. She had lived in at least 2 enclosures in zoo before Jaguar exhibit wasn't finish - one of them was today Ratu enclosure. Her partner, Kali, is 19 now. If I count properly - they together had 7 cubs - all black morph despite father was a "classical" jaguar.

A female Beautiful fruit-dove (Ptilinopus pulchellus) was joined by a male from Tiergarten Schönbrunn recently.

One chick hatched to White-necklaced partridges (Arborophila gingika) in January.

A female of Great argus came a few days ago from Anna Paulowna and will join the male soon.

In case of elephants - I meet with a statement that Leon is rather not a good male to reproduction in case of inbred. Could it be true? Could someone confirm Leon's lineage?
    Fryderyka is his favourite female now.

19. zoofanbelgium

zoofanbelgium Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Leon is born in Ramat Gan. He has two brothers and none of them has any offspring tille today. I read an article about Leon where it is mentioned that his sperm is to slow and he has a lack of interest in the cows.They are collecting samples of his sperm.

Neva likes this.
  20. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

Thank you! However I'm aware of Leon's check up, still wondering about parents (as I researched - the male is named Yossi but don't know who was the mother). I meet with a statement that parents are very close related to each other.

Anyway, I could add in the thread that some guiras has hatched :)