Join our zoo community

Bioparc Zoo de Doué la Fontaine News from Zoo de Doue

Discussion in 'France' started by Nisha, 16 May 2013.

1. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And the first video of the cute baby :)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Glad this monumental birth for Doue and quite the milestone for France as well.

Antoine and Haliaeetus like this.
  3. Antoine

And another species not mentioned before is now labelled in the aviary : laughing dove.

Kifaru Bwana and Haliaeetus like this.
  4. Antoine

IndianRhino, Haliaeetus and Rayane like this.
  5. Therabu

Therabu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A few news and impressions from my last visit over two days two weeks ago:

Sanctuaire des okapis
    For the ones who had the luck to visit the okapi's aviary at the opening, this installation have not aged as good as the Great Aviary to which it is automatically compared. While the okapi's only enclosure weakness remains (the small size of one of the enclosures), it is mainly due to the free ranging inhabitants of the aviary that my complain comes from. Most birds from forest (turacos, hornbills, peafowl or roller) are gone with only one roller remaining and two great blue turacos that are very secretive and remains very high in treetops. Duikers are no more on the ground and Hamlyn's guenons kept in the building to prevent them raiding birds' nests. The main inhabitants observable are large waterbirds for which the main pound had to be enlarged with a concrete floor slab. The natural and forest feeling has been partially lost in my opinion and unless feeding is taking place, activity may be quite low during the middle of the day (unless you count dozens of sparrows). At least I liked the addition of lemon dove that complete a nice collection made of 5 pigeons species at various levels of the trees.
    I admit this is harsh as the aviary remain a wonderful realization overall but is evolution is not as pleasant as its south-american counterpart. Still, the magic still operates from the belvedere, the point of view overhanging the trees. Seeing birds flying from trees to trees is magnificient, especially with the golden light of the end of the day and nobody around you. It is a shame so little visitors go up there as it might be my favorite spot of the zoo, especially with a couple of great blue turacos jumping from one branch to another in the background.

I have always felt that those large bamboos are feeling more Asian than African.I wonder what would have been the destiny of this installation if it had been designed with a similar concept for Asian species with malayan tapir as a key-specie for example. I feel it would have allowed to house more threatened birds species (but maybe no monkeys). Currently, the only endangered bird housed is a couple of Congo grey parrot and a couple of hooded vulture.

Canyon des léopards
    Very little to say abouth this career that partially show its age. I am still a fan of the Ceylan leopard enclosure. Javan leopard is of course a rarity but these poor lad may never see another member of its subspecie to breed. Maybe dedicating this small installation to fishing cats would have been a better fit ?

Grande Volière
    Won-der-ful
    13 years after its opening and many visits, it keep amazing me. I agree with zoochaters saying that it is probably the single most-revolutionnary exhibit built this century in European zoos. What is awesome is to see the habitat evolving and how birds are exploiting it. Parrot nests have spread almost everywhere and ducks are also flying in all directions. Like in the Sanctuary, we were in full-breeding season. Many birds were not very showy and remained sitted on their nests but it also showed some interesting behaviors such as ruddy-headed goose chasing any other anatids from surroundings of its nest, aerial parades, offering and natural cavity nesting with parrots or birds picking sticks to build nests (even a hyacinth macawdropping a large wood chunck close to a visitor : I have no idea if it was intentional or just to heavy for him :eek: )

While some complain about the loss of Andean condors and king vultures, which for sure was a great sight, it may be better for the overall welfare of aviary's inhabitants. It may allow to try again some prior unsuccesful attempts such as burrowing owls or elegant tinamu.

SivatheriumGuy and amur leopard like this.
  6. Therabu

Volière européenne
    What used to be the South-American aviary of the zoo back in the day have been reconverted for Eurasian species. It inherits its tropical and lush feeling with banana and plam trees. While birds are doing very well there, notably with regular breeding of bald ibis and potential breeding of black stork to come, I feel this quarry could be dedicated to another region of the world. I have particularly in mind Himalayan foothills with red pandas, tufted deer in half of the quarry while the other part would be a safe retreat for tragopan, red-billed blue magpie and whatever other birds from this part of the world. It would be less of a repetition for visitors coming from African and South American aviaries with other typical birds.
    It would also be a much better place to house red panda than the intended enclosure designed for them between the new expansion area and spectacled bears and where European sousliks and Hermann's tortoiseare living in a Mediterranean landscape.

Upper level
    This is the old part of the zoo with lions, tigers and gibbon enclosures with naturalistic design but less sophisticated than last realisation. They are okay and in most zoos would have nothing wrong but here, on the side of some jewels, they are on the smaller-side. The main concern are actually primates buildings, partially buried but so small in height that I wonder what gibbons do inside during winter.
    On the contrary, the pygmy hippo double enclosure is still shinning and provide very good conditions for the couple and its young recently born. Here again, the weak point concerns the building that is quite old and small.
    The past cheetah enclosure have been overhauled for housing Aldabra tortoises. Outside, a concrete slab floor have been added to build a large pound and an expensive and ambitious system was conceived for keeping the water warm. If I am not wrong, a large pump empty the pound every night to prevent the water from getting colder and throw the water again in late morning. A large wooden house was built to house the group of tortoises but I feel it is a failure, both from aesthtical point of view and even more for visitor's experience. Looking inside through the glass, one can only see a concrete floor with no natural light, substrate or vegetation. A glass or plastic greenhouse wouldn't have been a better option, allowing for a more immersive exhibit ?

Vallée des rhinocéros
    Seeing the first black rhino baby conceived and born in France was of course a highlight of the visit. Still, Mhorr gazelles managed to steal the show with the first newborn of the year coming to the world in the middle of the afternoon. We were fortunate enough to admire its first hesitating steps, encouraged by its mother. More fawns are due soon as several females were heavily pregant.

7. Therabu

Fantômes de l'Himalaya
    I praise Doué for its success but we also need to look at some of their failures and I think the markhor enclosure is one as it is simply not working. Animals barely use it during opening hours and never go in some parts that were especially designed for them. The point of view lack both naturalism (which was here an assumed bias for the whole area) but also aesthetics.
    The vulture arena appear a bit empty while the snow leopard exhibit is nice and large but I somehow would rather see Persian leopards in it than snow leopards.
    It looks like it was never really decided if the area should be Himalayan or Mediterranean with plantings.

Cratère des Carnivores
    I really like the lion enclosure that provide majestic perspectives and unexpected viewpoints. I however wonder how the big mounds will evolve with time and paths carved along them remain accessible to lions.
    The cheetah enclosure is nice as well even though not as lively as the lions. The main highlight and central concept of this enclosure, the mechanical lure appear to given up as the cheetah consistantly destroy it when chasing the bait. Now, one can wonder if it would have been different with a large pack of hunting dogs instead of more cats?
    The meerkat/bat-eared fox and now Cape porcupine shared enclosure appear giant as well even though it is now deprived from vegetation thanks to aardvarks.
    Those living bulldozers are now living in a new enclosure dedicated to them, supposed to be safer for them and offering more shade in the hope to see them going out more during the day. It is covered with a mesh and will probably house ground hornbill as well. Probably a first in the zoo-world ! Let's see how it ages, housing aardvarks outside in such large and naturalistic enclosures is an incredible challenge.
    Over 2 days,I only managed to catch one of them for a few minutes. The first day I missed them just after it had been fed so the day after I made sure to arrive early enough to see them.Sure enough the food was already inside but the aardvark did not touch it.I finally saw one pacing around in the enclosure, inspecting carefully its territory and very elegantly dropping the stinkiest thing I have ever smelled in my life ! :D I was also amazed to see that like a vulgar cat, it then carefully covered its droppings with sand.

This review will finish a bit of a bitter end with my discovery of the African Aviary. For some reason, most birds were not going outside, and for the ones that manage to find how to leave the building, they stayed in one corner, close to their indoor quarters. The feel is that what should be a very alive aviary was quite a disappointing experience.
    But that is temporary and with time, birds will learn how to exploit the whole space dedicated to them and I am sure the experience will improve. What annoy memore is the landscaping of the aviary that prevent several options. The amount of elevation is simply to important to try to accomodate dik-diks or reptiles. We know from the beginning that they wanted to house klipspringer but how such an investment can be made for a specie that will very likely never be available to Doué ? That's a mystery for me.
    One should also note that, again, this costly aviary is housing no endangered species.

As a conclusion, I have really enjoyed Doué, as I always do, during this weekend and I encourage any zoochaters to try to go there and visit as this zoo is unique and provide verygood conditions to its inhabitants. However, I am concerned about the direction the zoo is taking with several of its newer projects not very succesful nor oriented towards animal conservation, which have always been one of the strength of Bioparc de Doué.

Gil, lintworm, Haliaeetus and 2 others like this.
  8. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Doué will always be at the top of my visiting wishlist, and this was definitely a fantastic read. I really really want to visit it now ahahah, I blame that on you. ;)
    I hope the park gets klipspringers for the African aviary, but I guess it's quite the stretch. I guess something like cape ground squirrels could be a nice addition?

Therabu likes this.
  9. masonstar

masonstar Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Male giraffe Hama moved to Paris, Dello Zoo Neunkirchen.
    A new male still now there Twiga from Plankendael.

10. Antoine

A pair of thick-knees is now on-show in the african dry aviary where you can see now bee-eaters feeding in flight.
    Other addition : two southern ground hornbills arrived from the sister park (Zoo des Sables) and are now on view with the aardvarks.

11. Antoine

As the cape porcupine pair is shy and always hidden in the tunnels built previously by the aardvarks the zoo keepers just discovered a one month old baby :D

12. Antoine

Best year for Doué with 280.000 visitors which 40.000 more than previous best season.
    Other infos :
    - a new enlargement of 1,5 hectare will arrive in the next three years.
    - the zoo is building six cottages next to the park.
    - Makalu, female snow leopard born in 2021 left the park for Tallinn Zoo. Her brother Jangali will leave France for Italy during winter.

Le Bioparc de Doué-en-Anjou enregistre une fréquentation record en 2022 - Le Journal des Entreprises - Maine-et-Loire - Sarthe

登录 Facebook

Last edited: 21 Dec 2022
  13. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you know what they want to built within these 1.5 additional hectares?

14. Antoine

Nothing official so nothing to say for the moment.

zoomaniac and SivatheriumGuy like this.
  15. Panthera9

Panthera9 Well-Known Member

2 lion cubs were born on 02/12/2022. Both are females

16. Antoine

News for 2023 :
    - a viewing point will be created on the previously off-show Mhor gazelles enclosure (they have access to the large black rhinos enclosure too).
    - 4 new species will arrive this spring in the african dry aviary : eurasian hoopoe, green woodhoopoe, snowy-crowned robin-chat and white headed buffalo- weaver.
    With these new species, the small walkthrough aviary will be even better and a real highlight for zoo nerds !

Gil, Platypusboy, Fallax and 4 others like this.
  17. Antoine

Tremendo, 27th years old male spectacled bear, born in Basel Zoo in 1996, passed away. He was one of the iconic animal in the zoo.

登录 Facebook | Facebook

Gil, Platypusboy and SivatheriumGuy like this.
  18. zoofanbelgium

zoofanbelgium Well-Known Member 10+ year member

He had this offspring and four more (Still to be named twins born in january to Nazca and twins born in november to Brienne).

Knipsel.JPG

19. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

20. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Better late than never, a very good news for the Bioparc

Haliaeetus, StoppableSan and Gil like this.