Join our zoo community

Bioparc Zoo de Doué la Fontaine News from Zoo de Doue

Discussion in 'France' started by Nisha, 16 May 2013.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Allright, I missed the transfer in of the first 2 females then! When did that happen? Cannot have been too long ago!

BTW: there are now some 380+ Mhorr gazelle in Europe alone by now!

2. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One or two years ago I think.

380 ? Mainly in Almeria no ?

3. Kifaru Bwana

A good number will be at EEZA. However, there are quite a few more holders in Europe now (n=26). Mind this only part of the EEP/EAZA population as not counting in the Al Ain Zoo with 65 more (and AAZ also maintains a group of Chadian/Sudano ruficollis.

Antoine likes this.
  4. Antoine

On a video on Facebook I saw six mhorr gazelles and it seems that one is pregnant.

Also, arrival of a female southern pudu (from Berlin Zoo) in the giant aviary. There are now 1.2 pudus.

Moreover, a friend told me that two news species arrived at the park but I don't know more. One share the ground squirrels enclosure and the other seems to be in the rhino valley. I will tell you after my visit next wednesday :)

And to finish, there are a few births in the european ground squirrels little colony.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Antoine

I failed to mention : arrival of three meerkat males last week. The zoo will receive a female meerkat and one or two aardvarks (probably females) at the end of this week or just after.

6. Antoine

Some news from my yesterday's visit :
    - birth of two yellow-billed storks and others on nests. The same for african openbills.
    - the hamlyn's monkeys and trumpeter hornbills are off-show to let the birds breed.
    - 8 new Aldabras' giant tortoises arrived. Some are on show with the tortoises already at the park.
    - more than 10 greek tortoises joined the european ground squirels.
    - a group of helmeted guineafowls is now in the rhino valley.
    - I confirm that there are 1.5 Mhorr gazelles and one is due to be pregnant. Two more females will be added in the near future.
    - a female aardvark will arrived tomorrow from UK. A second will come next week from Dvur Kralove.
    - one of the bat-eared foxes will arrive from Krakow.
    - the female meerkat arrived yesterday from Beauval and has already mate with one of the male (the three males came from Lille Zoo).

Mo Hassan, kiang and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. Antoine

And a second female black rhinos will arrive this year !

kiang likes this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Cher Antoine, no offence ...: Given the track record of Doue with black rhinos and their breeding, I am not so over the moon myself. I wish they would first and foremost get their act together as too many opportunities have been lost with the individuals they had (and I am afraid I am talking in the past tense for some of these ....).

You only have to look SW to Zoo du Bassin d’Arcachon at La Teste-de-Buch what can and should have been achieved. I would much rather this zoo gets a second breedable female first.

9. Antoine

Dear Kifaru Bwana,
    I agree with you. Of course. But let's hope they learn about their past problems and don't forget the male is a new one. Story could be the same or not !

10. gabryatfendor

gabryatfendor Well-Known Member

La-Teste has already have another female Black Rhino, besides the one that gave birth last year. Think her name is Jane Lee. Isn't she a breeding one?

11. Kifaru Bwana

She calved once (a stillbirth) just after she arrived from Dvur Kralove. Nothing since.

12. Corby93

Corby93 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great news!

This year I'd liked to visit it but unluckily appears is going to be hard due to covid

Have you got photos of the news (meerkat exhibit, future aardvark exhibit, tortoises ...)? Is there any movement in the future african birds walkthrough area (the future one in the lion area)?

13. Antoine

@Corby93 I have already uploaded some photos of the exhibits you are looking for in the gallery. I will put some others of my last visit as soon as I can.

Movement ? What do you mean ? The aviary is still in construction and there is a lot to do to complete. At the moment, the second building for primates and mammals is taking shape.

14. Corby93

which one is the building for primates?

15. Antoine

It's not on my previous photos.

16. Corby93

Is this exhibit in the future Indonesian area or is in the new lion and cheetah area?

17. Antoine

@Corby93 The building will be for mammals and primates for the new african aviary in the new african area for lions, cheetahs, meerkats, bat-eared foxes and aardvarks.

18. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Death of two cheetahs at Doué la fontaine, May 21.

The animals are said to have died of poisoning following the pest control treatment they received.
    It is an anti zoo association which started to relay the news with a video of two dying cheetahs.

I put the link but it may shock some:

La captivité dans les zoos tue les guépards en France.

After the death of the two female lions last December, the carnivore crater has only 6 carnivores.
    This video will not help the park recover from the past crisis ...

19. Panthera9

Panthera9 Well-Known Member

Doué la Fontaine replied this week. A second analysis confirmed the 2 females cheetah (the 2 oldest of the group of 6 females) died from violent reaction to the pest control. That's odd, because this pest control treatment is commonly used in cheetahs and they never reacted that way before. The AFPDZ (French association of zoos and aquaria) received an alert,

20. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Former director's response to the matter:

To all those who need to be more active behind their computer screens than outside to save what remains of nature, I would like to say that I spent 59 years in a zoo and how proud I am!
    Proud to have contributed to the evolution of this profession, proud to have educated millions of visitors on the protection of endangered wildlife, proud to have traveled the world to see what was left of nature and what we could do to save her, proud to have helped people (real humans!)
    who like me wanted to act, proud to stand by their side for several decades to save who the last giraffes of West Africa, who the last condors of the Andes and proud to be still there today to support them.
    So yes life is not always rosy and accidents are common in zoos as in nature, in life too .... We were well served at Doué la fontaine thank you!
    But I will always be on the side of those who build, support and want to change the world with ardor, fervor and passion.
    Thank you to my son François, to the entire Bioparc team and to all our friends and visitors who support us during these particularly difficult times.
    For the others know that you will never undermine my passion, my enthusiasm, nor my commitment!

Security Check

Jungle Man and littleRedPanda like this.