Join our zoo community

Zoo Atlanta Zoo Atlanta 2017-2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by vogelcommando, 16 Feb 2017.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Switching plans from Blacks to Whites could be potentially they plan to do mixed species on the generically named "Savanna yard" especially since that is a big space when they haven't mentioned anything hoofstock (other than Zebra but I consider them and Giraffe ABC)

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. Milwaukee Man

Kifaru Bwana, Jambo and StoppableSan like this.
  4. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5. SharkFinatic

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's a shame. He wasn't on-exhibit when I visited last month, presumably due to the mentioned health issues.

~Thylo

7. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zoo Atlanta elephants walk into new habitat

Zoo Atlanta

The elephants have been moved to their new exhibit. The move was done by creating a chute to their new outdoor yard, just across the public path. The zoos Facebook has a nice video of the move that includes images of the new exhibit which looks pretty great. The zoo will be receiving 2 more female elephants from Riverbanks Zoo later in the year as well.

8. SharkFinatic

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

10. SharkFinatic

11. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would assume they will get another breeding bull at the Safari Park. Seems like they may be retiring Msholo from breeding since he lacked success.

12. Elephantelephant

I was hoping they would. Msholo is not considered a breeding bull, so it is better to place it in a facility where breeding is not necessary. I also think San Diego will get a new breeding bull. They have five breeding cows (Ndula, Swazi, Umngani, Khosi and Phakamile) and will have more in the future (Quinisa, Mkhaya). I do not think it is appropriate to re-import Mabu. He cannot produce calves with his daughters. I thought it would be wrong to bring Sdudl from Lowry Park. He is a successful breeding bull, but neither Mbali nor Matjeka still have another calf. He would definitely succeed in San Diego. I would take Mabu to Lowry Park. This most successful breeding bull in America would certainly produce calves with Matjeka, Mbali and later also with Mpumi and Mavi. Maybe also with Ellie. Like Mabu, Sdudla could move from San Diego to Reid Park. Of course, San Diego can also get other bulls (Ali, Tonka, Junnot, Tutume ...), but this exchange would probably be the best.

13. Elephantelephant

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ne ... GHbTkcTgrM
    I find this article a little stupid. They can't want Msholo to make calves with Tara and Kelly when neither of them has ever had a calf. Tara is 37 years old, Kelly is 36 years old. The first calf should have cows no later than 25 years. Moreover, Msholo is not a successful breeding bull.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  14. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

S'dudla will breed the cows no problem. It is management problems. When I visited 1.5 years ago, they were just getting ready to start allowing him to be with the cows while they cycle again, their idea is to wait 7+ years between calves. So stupid.

Ellie is behavioural non-breeder, she is afraid of bulls. They tried AI several times after Tamani, but nothing took.

Good bull for San Diego would be Tonka. Large, strong, and healthy. He is sociable and assertive. He would do well with the younger males to tussle with, and the older cows to "show him the ropes" of breeding. They know their stuff and would likely do well with him. Poor guy would finally get the life he deserves.

15. Elephantelephant

I totally agree, Tonka would be a good choice. But as far as I know, Knoxville Zoo said they were looking for a new place for Tonka, and instead plans to bring in a third older cow. This means that this speculation is not far from reality.

You say Sdudla hasn't been connected to cows for a long time? That's stupid. Cows often become pregnant again a year after the birth of the calf, sometimes earlier. Do you already know about any mating?

I did not know that with Ellie breeding. This means that it is probably considered to be unsuitable for breeding.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I honestly think they should just retire Mabu. I feel he’s already represented enough within the SSP. Also what zoos are Ali Junnot and Tutume at?

StoppableSan and ThylacineAlive like this.
  17. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ali is at Jacksonville and Tutume is at Granby (if I remember correctly). As for Junnot, I don't know where he is.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. Elephantelephant

Ali- Jacksonville, offspring: Zahara (Indianapolis), Jabali (DAK)
    Tutume- Granby, no offspring!!!, important for the North American population of African elephants
    Junnot- Hemmingford, no offspring!!!, Victoria inseminated in 2018 by his semen, I do not know the result

Mabu is one of the few breeding males in America, so if it retires, the North American population of African elephants may disappear. Meanwhile, he can stay in Reid Park, then I would suggest a transfer elsewhere - for example Montgomery, Fresno (if his son Vusmusi fails), Lowry Park (along with moving Sdudla elsewhere - his daughters will be adults in a few years), Indianapolis, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Dallas (if Tendaji fails), ...

Last edited: 30 Jul 2019
  19. Milwaukee Man

20. Kevin2342

Kevin2342 Well-Known Member

Hannah, their king cobra, passed away last Friday.