Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo News thread for Paignton (to 2010)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 9 Sep 2009.

1. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

Paignton primates

I get so frustrated with the management at Paignton. I have such high expectations of this place and I'm so proud of the progress they've made as an organisation....but, why is the curator/animal collections manager/s so slow to act. When you ask the keepers about the Mangabey's in the vet centre and the Gibbons at the end of Orang Island they just shrug their shoulders, agree with my comments, look helplessly and tell me to write to the curator, which I have done twice now with no reply. Originally, the end monkey enclosure (currently occupied by the Diana monkeys) was going to house a S. American mix with the Diana's sharing with the King Colobus. That now seems unlikely and again the Curator is completely against mixing the Abyssian Colobus with the Gorilla boys (even though all the staff are supportive of the idea!).
    Baboon Rock - does anyone have any news on proposed date to start? Is it still on the site of the old Mandrill/small Mammal House, Porcupine & Meerkat exhibits? If they were clever, they would use the Barbary Sheep enclosure!
    At the beginning of the year, the maintenanace team worked really hard to clear a space behind the rhino house for a new Binturong exhibit....has anyone any news on the progress of this?

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

It seems everything apart from the birds will be taking a back seat for a while. To be fair I can understand why. Most are in old cramp enclosures that should have been demolished years ago.

As for the staff at Paignton, the less said the better. They appear to be getting less and less friendly each year. You ask them a question about the animals under their care and you get one word answer if your lucky or a grunt.

Years ago you could stop and talk to the keepers about the Giraffe's, Elephants etc and find out some really interesting information.

4. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

Thanks Pertinax and satan. Good to hear some of the reasoning behind decisions and a lack of them! Your knowledge Pertinax astounds me! Is it Pertinax - as in the Paignton Gorilla?
    I do feel like a 'stake-holder' in Paignton/Living Coasts, not just as a member but as a real supporter. Wouldn't it be great if we had a forum, Q&A with the management or a 'Friends of Paignton' council so we could ask these questions and put our points of view across.
    The keepers are very busy but ultimately are the public face of the zoo and should receive training and support to deal with public/member questions. Sometimes I feel like I'm really not welcome to ask questions and show interest. The 'general' public do ask/say ridiculous things, but pure signage around the zoo is not always adequate. For those with more specific interest I think that Paignton and definitely Living Coasts fall way behind the likes of Colchester and Edinburgh when it comes to member quarterly magazines and website news posts regarding animal collection updates. The Education Dept at Paignton is superb but they are not encouraged to collaborate with other Zoo Depts.
    Does anyone else feel frustrated (even dis-empowered) with slow progress and a lack of available information or forum to express views with their zoo?

5. Pertinax

1. It is.

2. If your questions are of the innocent 'what's the Giraffe's name?' type that is fine but closer questioning about management of animals etc is sometimes unwelcome, depending on the collection. Though more Zoos are open with such information nowadays than they used to be, there is still a latent fear of what such information might used for- e.g. as ammunition for the 'ant-zoo' or animal rights' lobby etc.

3. You might want to raise this point in a new thread on the General Forum, where it will get noticed more.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2010
  6. kkkp

kkkp Well-Known Member

The Mangabeys cannot be moved at the present time as they have a baby. Maybe being away from the public is a good idea. Comment today 'teacher to pupil-I think those red things on the Casowary are chins!!!!!!!refering to the 'Wattles'

7. Pertinax

Good news but it will delay the move even further now...:( Its okay being away from the public so long as they aren't stressed by lack of space.

8. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

A missed publicity opportunity.

9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you about the magazine. I have a collection of them from 1998. They used to be very interesting and worth keeping, but over the last year or so there have been more photos and fewer words. The 'news' is usually a repeat of items from the website. They did a survey a while ago asking what members wanted in the magazine - I don't think anyone else ticked the same boxes as me.

10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

11. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Last edited: 6 Sep 2010
  12. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Tiger move

From Paignton's website:
    Another Zoo tiger moves on 08/09/2010
    Another of the three rare Sumatran tiger cubs born at Paignton Zoo last year has moved on. Female Surya, now 18 months old, has gone to Flamingoland, in Yorkshire.

The road journey took about 8 hours, including rest breaks. Surya is not yet adult but weighs around 70 kilos, is about 1.5 metres long and just under 1 metre tall at the shoulder. She was transported in a special crate. She was given a thorough health check by Paignton Zoo vet Sarah Hewitt before departure.
    The move was recommended by the European Stud Book keeper as part of the coordinated European breeding programme for Sumatran tigers, of which Paignton Zoo is a part.

That leaves just one cub, male Aryo, with mother Banda. Banda is also likely to move on in the future, with the Zoo bringing in a new female for Tenang. Paignton Zoo Environmental Park Director of Operations and Curator of Mammals Neil Bemment said: “We are really pleased that another Paignton Zoo bred cub is moving on to play its part in the European Endangered species Programme for the Sumatran tiger. We wish Surya well and look forward to hearing that she has produced her own cubs in a couple of years time.“

Paignton Zoo is a member of the European Endangered species Programme (EEP) for Sumatran tigers, which means it is part of the global effort to save this endangered species from extinction. Captive and wild populations are protected and managed in an attempt to prevent Sumatran tigers following the Bali and Javan tigers into extinction.
    Copyright Paignton Zoo 2006

13. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

Flamingoland also have 0.2 Amur tigers? Are they on rotation in the tiger enclosure now, or a new enclosure been constructed for Sumatrans.

14. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Delighted to hear that at least one of the 2009 litter is staying in the UK :) Any info on Flamingo Land sourcing a mate for her?

15. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

Been to the zoo today to see the new tiger, unfortunately her and her mate are shut in to get used to each other. I spoke to a keeper who told me that the female is from Paignton and the male from a cat sanctuary in Kent (would this be wildlife heritage foundation). The amur tigers are in the old lynx enclosure, and the new sumatrans will go into the tiger enclosure (the two enclosures are linked now via a slide under the public walkway. The plan is to have the male on one side and the female and cubs on the other (once the Amur tigers go).

16. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

17. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Where would the Amur's Chow and Naimair go one or maybe both could maybe go to Blackpool as a mate for Zambar Blackpool certainly have the space a bigish enclosure 3 dens 1 offshow and 2 on?
    Regards Jordan.

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would say this + former comment by Blossom would need to be in the Flamingoland thread? Only by context can one read into it that it is not strictly about Paignton.

Back on topic: any project(s) known for 2011 at Paignton?

19. Pertinax

It does get a bit difficult when a discussion links two or more locations. We can only ask posters to try to keep threads on track to avoid confusion or point up they're referring to a different location/subject.(I am sometimes equally guilty here I know;).)

Last edited: 7 Dec 2010