Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo Project Next Steps?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by stulch, 10 Aug 2013.

1. stulch

stulch Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know it's probably too early to ask this, but I'm going to anyway!

Does anyone know if they've got any plans for new exhibits within the next twelve months?

2. wpjoe

wpjoe Member

Cassowary have now gone back to bristol zoo and the enclosure will be changed for the arrival of red river hogs in feb!

3. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If the Cassowary have gone back to their old enclosure, have the remaining Okapi now left Bristol Zoo?

4. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The e-news letter reports that 2 young male red river hogs will be on show by half-term .

5. wpjoe

wpjoe Member

The cassowary will be going in the old okapi paddocks(old elephant) and the okapi staying in the cassowary paddocks.

6. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks, do you know whether this is just a short term arrangement or is there now a plan for the Okapi to maintain a presence at the zoo for some time yet?

7. wpjoe

wpjoe Member

The okapi will stay in the current paddock for now at least not sure long term

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Red River hogs have arrived - they are 2.0 from Edinburgh

9. wpjoe

wpjoe Member

Flock of 1.8 Boreray sheep arrived from Tilgate nature centre last week.

10. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who wonders whether a few more wild animals might be in order? Granted, they are carnivores, but how much would it cost to accommodate a same-sex group of Wolves? Or Pere David's Deer? To say nothing of more esoteric fare that zoochatters would get excited by!

I want to see this place flourish, but I fear that Noah's Ark is going to leave it high and dry at this rate.

11. wpjoe

wpjoe Member

There are plans for another species this year which could be a howling success ......

12. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

Yes, I was there on Feb 15th and there are posters up saying that wolves will be arriving later this year (Easter, if I remember rightly). A fair-sized enclosure is being built (along with a viewing window) in the woods just along from the Barefoot Trail, near to the entrances to Tower Meadow and Blackhorse Wood. Sorry, I didn't take any photos as it was absolutely horrendous weather that day.

13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have faith... they may have to go at it 'slowly, slowly' if funding doesn't allow otherwise, but I imagine Wild Place, like the Zoo, will end up being a higher quality collection in the longterm, than NA.

Last edited: 25 Feb 2014
  14. Clunes

Clunes Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes. Wolves will arrive at Easter according to signage around the park. I could only see some of the enclosure yesterday as I didn't wander down the muddy trail into the woods for a better look

15. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Yes they are and they will not be Iberian either so another nice arrival for the place!

16. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Excellent news! It is to be noted that the animals at Highland Wildlife Park are proven to be of pure European blood, unlike many of the wolves described as thus elsewhere in the UK - particularly Whipsnade.

18. Clunes

Clunes Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just an idea, don't shoot me down...
    Wild Place wants to develop but needs funding. It is a huge site that could be something really special. Bristol Zoo is old, somewhat tired in places and is constrained on all sides by roads. Do you think the idea would ever be entertained to relocate the animals at the Zoo to Wild Place and sell the Zoo site for development. 12 acres in Clifton could be worth a small fortune. Does Bristol really need 3 zoos (if you include Noah's Ark)? Is there any place for sentimentality when it comes to conservation?

19. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The main problems I could see with this:

1. The Clifton site would need to obtain planning permission to build houses before being offered for sale;
    2. The price obtainable might not be as high as one would think as the site would costs a small fortune to clean up and demolish;
    3. The cost of developing a new site from scratch (enclosures and visitor infrastructure) would cost way, way more than the money obtainable than selling the Clifton site.

Finally, the Clifton site currently serves the local population well (especially "young families") and generates a profit surplus which can be used to develop Wild Place over time -why mess with that?

Very finally (and more emotively), it's an evil, sacrilegious, idea to destroy such a beautiful, historic, wondrous place.

20. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last edited: 16 Mar 2014