Join our zoo community

Next week you decide

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by garyjp, 14 Feb 2015.

1. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just a bit of fun and a quick vote . next week going to the isle of Wight and will fit in one of four of the animal attractions

Which one shall i go to
    Isle of wight zoo
    Amazon World
    IOW Monkey Sanctuary
    Seaview Wildlife Encounter

Help me decide

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Amazon World :) plenty of odd species that aren't often seen elsewhere

3. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

I agree with Nisha - we spent a week's holiday on the island last year and visited all four of the collections you mentioned but Amazon World had the most diverse collection by far. The penguins hadn't moved into their new pool when I was there, but it looked much better than their old one. The lemurs in the walk-through were extremely entertaining as they were using the visitors (myself included) as objects to bounce off whilst on the move! I hope you have a great time.

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Do them all they all have there positive and negative points,but if you can only do the one it has to be Amazon World!

5. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd concur with everyone else and go for Amazon World.

I visited them all last year and, as ZG says, they all have their positives and negatives.

Seaview, to me, was the least interesting (nothing too exciting species-wise) but it was nice to see three species of flamingos and it's great if you like feeding animals (wallabies and waterfowl).

Amazon World is, by far, the most interesting species-wise but be warned that some of the animals prove a little elusive and you'll have to do a few circuits or come back later in the day to see anywhere near all the animals (good luck with the Paca, I tried at different times on two separate days to no avail).

Owl & Monkey Sanctuary is so beautifully done and it seems every aspect has been well thought-through, it has a real charm and, personally, I'd rank it second highest on the island.

Isle of Wight Zoo is OK, reasonably well done and a nice selection of lemurs and big cats (including some interesting colour variations). If you're really into big cats this might be a first choice but, for me, Amazon World would always be the place I'd go if I could only visit one.

Note, I did a thread on my visit last year which may inform a little more and/or whet your appetite.

Enjoy your trip.

6. garyjp

Thank you all for your replies so far . I wont do all four on one visit as I go to the island several times a year (mother). its really interesting to me the response I'm getting back from you guys . I have been to all of them before many times .

7. garyjp

Just going to go off thread as well to those that have been to the island do you think it would benefit from one large collection or keep it as it is ?

8. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Amazon world sounds better

9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Next week.....

Seaview is worth it for the flamingos

10. Shorts

No, I don't think a large zoo would get enough visitors to survive long-term.

The catchment area is physically and economically restricted by the island situation so, except zoo-nerds, they're be few casual visitors.

The zoo would therefore be dependent on locals (population about 150,000?) and tourists to the island which I don't think'd be enough to keep things economically viable.

Paradoxically, I think the island's able to sustain the four small collections quite well as, being small, their overheads and staff costs are reasonably low and there's a big tourist demand for "couple of hours/half day" attractions on the island (perfect for families with small children or those who want to do something before/after they go to the beach).

11. Shorts

If flamingo's are your thing -by the time you've waited for and travelled across on the ferry you could be well over halfway to Slimbridge (and see all six species). :D

12. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

Amazon world for variety but I found seaview a lovely little place and great fun ! They breed flamingos like they are rabbits!

Also remember there is also an aquarium, butterfly house and falconry centre all on the island. :)