Join our zoo community

Nga Manu Nature Reserve Nga Manu Nature Reserve visit 2012

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 24 Jul 2012.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I visited Nga Manu Nature Reserve for the first time yesterday, a rather drizzly middle of the day visit, which took about 1.5 hours.

Nga Manu has been reviewed previously (2011: http://www.zoochat.com/17/nga-manu-2011-a-226170/, 2008: http://www.zoochat.com/17/nga-manu-nature-reserve-13760/), so this is more of an update than an actual review. Although after reading all of it, you may beg to differ.

The reserve starts with an entry building, where the excessive (Chlidonias agrees on this apparently) entry fee ($15, and no student prices) is paid, duck food purchased, and a few terrariums display White-tailed Spider, Long-fin Eel, Whistling Tree Frog and Green & Gold Tree Frog.

Outside is a small lake, inhabited by Mallards, Paradise Shelducks, Pukeko, Canada Geese and a rescued Pied Shag (http://www.zoochat.com/396/pied-shag-nga-manu-280990/). As the first visitors of the day (and only that we saw), we were mobbed by waterfowl on the lawn surrounding the lake (http://www.zoochat.com/396/main-pond-nga-manu-280989/). Feeding them, especially the shelducks, was great fun. Also on the lawn was a small, free-standing, meshed cage, which held Duvaucel's Geckos (http://www.zoochat.com/396/duvaucel-s-gecko-cage-nga-manu-280987/).

Adjacent to the entry building is the first aviary, with forest birds, divided into three sections, the two on the outside are 'walk-in' (a very clever, if under-utilised, concept), while the central one is completely contained. On the left was a flock of Red-crowned Parakeets and a very friendly NZ Wood Pigeon, which sat on our arms; in the middle was another flock of parakeets (presumably the opposite sex); while the right-hand aviary held Western Weka and a pair of North Island Kaka, again one of these was very friendly, and sat on our shoulders.

Further along, a path lined with tuatara cages (inhabitants hibernating), lead to the nocturnal house. In here was a large display on introduced mammalian carnivores, tanks displaying Banded Kokopu, Inanga and Brown Mudfish, a small exhibit full of Wellington Tree Weta, a terrarium with a Tuatara and two glass-fronted exhibits for Little Owls and Moreporks. On the back wall were two small exhibits for kiore and ship rats, but both were empty. The centre of the house was devoted to two good-sized North Island Brown Kiwi enclosures, which were well lit, and also showed the kiwi's burrows.

The next aviary includes the rather clever diving duck tank, which demonsttrated the abilities of the NZ Scaup well, and also housed a friendly Tui. This was followed by a large walk-in wetland aviary with more NZ Scaup, Grey Teal and White-faced Heron. Signage also suggested NZ Shoveller and NZ Wood Pigeon lived in here. Around the corner was a walk-through aviary, with four Kea, Pukeko and Tui. Nearby was the swan pond, which only had one Mute Swan.

The path then lead away from the entry, to a pair of avaries near the entry to the bushwalk. The first of these held NZ Wood Pigeon and White-faced Heron, with the second containing Brown Teal. The ducks had trailed us from the entry building, and although the shelducks and a few others dropped back, a mob of mallards and pair of pukeko followed us about a third of the way round the bushwalk loop! (http://www.zoochat.com/396/mallard-mob-nga-manu-280988/) We saw several wild birds in the bush too, though just common species such as fantail, tui, wood pigeon and silvereye.

The bush walk was quite good, with signs identifying certain species, and also describing interesting plant phenomena, which I thought were very well done.Towards the end of the walk was a short track that lead through a swamp to the Lookout Tower, which gave good views over the park, and surrounding area. There were also some interesting plants 'exhibited' in this area, including two mistletoe species and some Tmesipteris, with accompanying educational signage. Exiting the bush, the path lead across three small islands in the main lake, one a fernery, the second displaying endangered native flora, and the third for picnics. The path then headed back to the entry, with a small track heading past this to the newly-constructed Education Centre and a small pond off the main pond, which houses Long-fin Eels. Eel feeding presentations are now conducted here.

Overall, while Nga Manu is expensive, and offers a relatively basic collection of native fauna, it was an enjoyable visit, with the highlight being the friendliness of some of the birds, which allowed contact with wood pigeon, kaka, pukeko, mallard, paradise shelduck and pied shag, most of which are not typically so friendly.

2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Good review Zooboy. I didn't get the opportunity to visit when I was in Wellington last year, buut considering the lack of natives at Wellington Zoo, I'll make a point of seeking it out next time I'm there.

:p

Hix

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the rats can exit the display cage to an off-display one, so there probably were rats there but just not visible when you were looking. When I was last there the kiore (three I think) were out and feeding, but when I went back through later on the visit there were none visible. (But they didn't have black/ship rats then, at least as far as I saw).

4. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

[Further along, a path lined with tuatara cages (inhabitants hibernating), lead to the nocturnal house. In here was a large display on introduced mammalian carnivores, ...]

I assume you refer to stoats, weasels and ferrets. How were they displayed and were they active? The first two can be very difficult to show well (usually small bundles of sleeping fur at best).

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

they probably weren't very active: they are all stuffed! When I first visited (2008 I think) the nocturnal house included a weasel and a brush-tailed possum amongst the live animals, but in 2011 the only live mammals in there were kiore (Polynesian rats). Currently (going by zooboy28's review) they have kiore and black rats on live display.

6. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Yeah, as Chlidonias said, they were display cases of stuffed mammals: cat, hedgehog, possum, weasel and stoat, all shown with typical prey - skinks, snails, fruit, eggs and red-crowned parakeet, respectively. I have attached photos of them here.

Feral mammals are rarely displayed at NZ zoos and wildlife parks, with the exception of domestic rats and farm animals. Nga Manu has the only kiore on display, and possibly the only ship rats displayed as pests too. Mustelids and hedgehogs are almost never displayed, probably because they make poor display animals, although Wellington Zoo do have a hedgehog that is used for visitor encounters. Possum and Tahr are held at at least one wildlife park, but not at any zoos.

Attached Files: