Join our zoo community

Dallas World Aquarium Night monkeys at DWA

Discussion in 'United States' started by Thaumatibis, 3 May 2015.

1. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

According to geomorph's review, the DWA keeps peruvian night monkeys (aotus miconax) However, globalspecies says they keep nancy ma's night monkeys (aotus nancymae). To make matters even more confusing, one photo of a night monkey is labeled as peruvian but given the latin name of nancy ma's! So does anyone know the truth? My guess is that they have mislabeled nancy ma's; however, a phase out list for 2013 lists peruvian, so there must be some in the US. If anyone has the guidebook or a photo of the signage, it would be helpful. Thanks.

~ Thaumatibis

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

geomorph only uses the common name (Peruvian night monkey) not any scientific name. Information on the internet from the facility itself about their animals says they have Aotus nancymae. Globalspecies is information taken directly from ISIS and therefore comes directly from the facility itself, and that says they have Aotus nancymae. An earlier thread on Zoochat about night monkeys specifies that the signage at DWA calls them Aotus nancymae.

All in all, I would say they have Aotus nancymae.

(However I suspect that DWA, at least at some point, called them by the common name "Peruvian night monkey" even though they had the binomen correct).

3. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

Thank you.

~ Thaumatibis

4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Anybody know how many owl monkeys the DWA has and where they acquired them from?

5. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just a female now, not sure of origin. There used to be more that were seen often but I never saw this individual.