Join our zoo community

Erlebnis-Zoo Hannover Nikolai

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Jacobea, 12 Sep 2009.

1. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

I was looking on Ele Encyc (I have a look for any updates every few days) and I noticed that Nikolai, the bull elephant at Hannover Zoo, has been transferred to Amsterdam Artis Zoo (for the 2nd time).

I'm aware that Hannover is expecting a load of calves within the next year or two, but I still find it odd that they've transferred Nikolai to a zoo with no cows of breeding age (except for Thong Tai, although she still has a calf with her). I'm curious as to why this move has happened (if anyone knows). Is it a spacial thing ie, moving Nikolai out to make room for the upcoming calves) or something else?

2. IceQueen

IceQueen Well-Known Member 15+ year member

He went to Amsterdam to breed with Thong Tai. Yindee is old enough to have a little brother or sister. Thong Tai was already supposed to have another calve, but unfortunaltly it died, so it's time to try again.
    Nikolai will be going back to Hannover in the spring of 2010.

3. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

That's good then :D I presume he's replaced Calvin/going to be Calvin's replacement as breeding bull at Hannover?

4. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

yep he's doing a fantastic job
    all cows except for Indra ( who probably is infertile by now) are pregnant! he's already sired 6 calves.