Join our zoo community

Nikon p900??

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by TNT, 22 Jun 2019.

1. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Has anyone had any experience, or has any knowledge on the Nikon p900? It's a camera I'm looking into getting at some point this year, and was hoping to hear people's opinions :) Thanks.

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

An old fella I chat with sometimes at YWP uses one and is very happy with it. If I go tomorrow then i'll get his flickr ID so you can have a look.

TNT likes this.
  3. TNT

Many thanks!

4. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi @ThomasNotTom , I've been a proud owner of a P900 for about 3 years now. I've produced many pictures I'm proud of, with many disappointments as with any camera.
    As many of the reviews online state, the night capability isn't very good (which isn't too much of a problem for zoo photography aside from certain specialized indoor exhibits). I'd say pushing the ISO up to even 800 is a fine choice if the pics aren't enlarged too much.
    Of course the zoom is the pièce de résistance. Even without a tripod, I've successfully taken relatively non-blurry pictures at 2000 mm (of course, a rest is always preferred).
    The weight is also a huge benefit. I've taken this camera on trips where had I brought a larger camera, I'd be quite exhausted and worn out by the end of hikes. It's very easy to travel with for sure.
    If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to reach out. Hope I can help.

Terry Thomas and TNT like this.
  5. TNT

Thanks for the guidance :)

6. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Ckecked out the P900 on computer and it sounds/looks great. Wish I had one!

TNT likes this.