Join our zoo community

Nile Crocodile Found in Florida, with notes on Fla's other exotic reptiles & mammals

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by findi, 23 Mar 2014.

Tags:
  1. findi

findi Well-Known Member

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
    Yet another Floridian reptile drama has made headlines. Earlier this month (March, 2014) officials from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FFW) reported that a Nile Crocodile (Crocodylus niloticus) had been captured in the northwestern Everglades. Although the origin of this particular animal may be known, it is not the first Nile Crocodile to have been captured in the state, which is now home to an astonishing 500+ species of non-native animals (and a great many plants)! And while Nile Crocodiles are a rarity in Florida, the possibility of hybridization with the native American Crocodile (C. acutus) may be a concern. In the course of my work in zoos and via contacts with commercial croc farming projects, I’ve seen many examples of hybrid crocodiles. I cared for a Cuban Crocodile x American Crocodile cross, and Siamese Crocodiles are regularly interbred with others on farms. Hybrid crocs were even openly offered for sale as “pets” back in the “Wild West” days of the pet trade (and perhaps still are?). Read the rest of this article here Croc Found in Fla.: Is World?s Largest a Resident? | That Reptile Blog
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How concerned should ecologists and wildlife authorities be about a Nile crocodile showing up in the Everglades do you think? Is it a one-off event or a potential harbinger of python-style invasion problems?

3. findi

findi Well-Known Member

Hello,

So far, incidents have been limited to one-time escapes of exhibit animals, and youngsters are not typically found in the pet trade (although they have appeared in the past). But with Florida being such an ideal habitat for so many reptiles, authorities take every report seriously. best, Frank

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

You certainly wouldn't want the escapees to be gravid.

:p

Hix