Join our zoo community

Niue has a duck. But just one.

Discussion in 'Niue' started by Chlidonias, 8 Sep 2018.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

A lone Mallard has appeared on Niue, although no-one knows how it got there or where it came from. The locals are feeding the duck, and maintaining a puddle for it to live in because the island has no natural ground-water.

The loneliest duck in Niue

LaughingDove and birdsandbats like this.
  2. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member

LOL Trevor appears to be a Teresa

3. Chlidonias

It is a male Mallard.

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member

It will add something for Niue's bird watchers. Niue only has 19 bird species, so...

5. Chlidonias

Where did you get 19 from? There are 15 breeding species on the island, and then the migrant waders and non-breeding seabirds. Leaving aside the vagrants (like this Mallard) there are somewhere between 30 and 40 species available to be seen there.

6. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member

My eyes ain't what they used to be. It looked all brown to me but on second look with enough squinting it is a male

7. Chlidonias

There are better photos on other news articles.

8. birdsandbats

Maybe not the most reliable source of information, but I counted the species on this page:

List of birds of Niue - Wikipedia

The eBird data was a bit spotty, but I only got 15 there. I figured that if there were more bird species, more would have been reported.

https://ebird.org/barchart?byr=1900&eyr=2018&bmo=1&emo=12&r=NU

*It is worth noting that the Wikipedia article states that 29 bird species may be found in Niue. The eBird checklist states 34. But keep in mind this includes accidentals and vagrants.

*Also note that isn't the only duck on Niue. After looking over Niue's Mallard reports on eBird, I found this statement:

9. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member

Surely introduced and vagrant birds count as birds on the island? Just because it’s rare or accidental doesn’t mean that it’s a bird you can’t find, it’s just harder.

10. birdsandbats

I am counting introduced species here. I am not counting vagrants because I was referring to commonly occurring species - of which there are only 20. If you are counting vagrants (such as this Mallard), the count would be around 30 - still not many bird species.

11. Chlidonias

The Wikipedia article is missing a lot of seabirds, as also the eBird must be (I haven't looked at it). And it is (most probably) the only duck currently on Niue - Grey Ducks being found there as vagrants doesn't mean there are Grey Ducks there now.

There is only one introduced species (chickens). If counting all birds recorded on the island - including vagrants - the total is around 50, not 30, because (as per above) your "sources" are missing numerous recorded seabirds (terns and petrels), many of which are frequent.

birdsandbats likes this.