Join our zoo community

Auckland War Memorial Museum no more live displays

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 27 Sep 2017.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

so this is actually old news, but I just came across some articles about it. All the live animal displays at the Auckland Museum were removed in 2014-2015. I was at the museum in 2016 and noted on one of the photos in the gallery that there were no longer any live animals there, but I didn't realise that it was a permanent and deliberate removal of everything. The live displays were of fish and aquatic invertebrates (both freshwater and marine), terrestrial invertebrates, frogs and lizards.

There are photos of some of the displays and animals in the gallery: Auckland War Memorial Museum - Photo Galleries | ZooChat

The end is nigh for Auckland Museum's critters - live animals, insects to go (19 November 2014)

The above article is about the reasons for the removal of the displays, and the dissatisfied reactions of some members of the public. The article below is an "opinion piece" repeating some of the previous article, but adding in an animal rights angle with phrases like "in step with the times" and "being civilised".

Editorial: Museum's live animals best left to zoos (22 November 2014)