Join our zoo community

No Pronghorn OutSide America?!

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Gforrestersmith, 23 Sep 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gforrestersmith

Gforrestersmith Well-Known Member

I only recently found a Really Shocking Discovery: There are No ProngHorn in Zoos Outside of North America! Why?! ProngHorn are Not Even an Endangered Species!:confused:

zeynep and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think you should re-read the original message.

3. Gforrestersmith

Gforrestersmith Well-Known Member

Your Right! I'm Sorry, Sir it's Just that this is My First Time Here.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is surprising, considering how common they are in U.S. zoos (especially in the Southwest). They are certainly an interesting species, being neither a deer nor an antelope but in a category all their own.

JigerofLemuria and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  5. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

It seems I remember reading back in the 70s that they can be difficult to to keep. As to why, I don't remember. I'm not too up on pronghorn husbandry, though Los Angeles has
    always had success with them, including the highly endangered Peninsular Pronghorn.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe its due largely to Climatic factors and stress levels that they aren't in Zoos in other parts of the World. I doubt there are e.g. any European Roe Deer in USA Zoos- for similar reasons.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No but there are some Siberian roe deer in private hands in the US.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Do you have any information on where these private collections with Siberian Roe Deer are? Or who the owner is? Any chance to see a new hoofed mammal species is always special for me!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

At one time different zoos outside of North America did have Pronghorn (Antilocapra americana) including the zoo in Yokohama Japan, the zoo in Pretoria South Africa, and several zoos in Europe, but like Gforestersmith said, there are none outside of North America currently

Also I wonder why they are doing ExSitu conservation with Peninsular pronghorns
    (Antilocapra americana peninsularis) and InSitu with Sonoran pronghorns (Antilocapra americana sonoriensis) and what the deal is with Antilocapra americana americana and wether they are being phased out or not, the reason I ask is because I don't see anymore coming into AZA zoos or staying in AZA zoos ?

@Ituri, who is this collector that has Siberian roe deer and where is he located ? I am very interested in seeing and photographing that species!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not sure where the SSP pronghorn is on pronghorns per se in US zoos.
    I do know that the LA Zoo is heavily involved in the Peninsular pronghorn program and has invested also quite substantially in connection in situ conservation in both Mexico and US. Current partners on the ex situ front in captive-breeding are both also in the SW with San Diego Zoo and Living Desert participating.

I seem to remember that LA at some point changed over from regular nominate pronghorn to this very critically endangered taxon. Kudos to them!

Indeed, the Sonoran pronghorn population is only managed in situ with no captive component (as yet beyond the recovery center). As to why this is and no zoos are involved …., completely beats me!

Perhaps our US regulars and mstickmanp can help out.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Some additional info from 2009 AZA TAG:

Antilocapra americana CONSERVATION LINK AND EDUCATION: 150
    A. a. peninsularis CONSERVATION SUPPORT AND SAFETY NET: 50
    A. a. sonoriensis IN SITU FOCUS // ADVISOR: LA ZOO.

I do see a tendency on most zoos in the US to be reluctant on the species …
    Very little breeding seems to take place. Numbers are not exactly huge: 27.31.0 (compared to available spaces: 28.71.39) in 2009.

12. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is my understanding that the Pronghorn has never done particularly well outside of North American zoos. The zoos that keep them here are almost all zoos that are in an area the species once lived in at some point or another. AFAIK, the Northeast U.S. is really the only place outside of where Pronghorn once ranged where they have done well.

~Thylo:cool:

13. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Never seeing them in a Southeastern zoo I would think the humidity would be a big problem for them.

14. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

The Chapultepec Zoo in Mexico City keeps Pronghorn, as far as i know Mexico City can get pretty humid, but I am not sure how they are doing there, @Carlos77 do you know ?

15. condor

condor Well-Known Member

True, but as also mentioned elsewhere, pronghorns were mainly kept in Europe ~50 years or more ago, and the last few individuals were 40+ years ago. Much has happened in animal keeping since then.

If looking at the full historical pronghorn distribution, it passed through both fairly wet regions and and hot regions (as well as cold and arid), but interestingly it didn't pass through any places that are quite wet and warm. Water+heat is perfect for growing fungi and bacteria, and one can speculate that this easily could prove lethal for pronghorn. This would excludes much of southeast USA (rain map and climate zone map). In comparison, Mexico City receives approx. 32 in (~80 cm) of rain per year, and a rain map for Europe is here.

Considering the number of Antilocapra a. americana in U.S. ranches and the legal pronghorn hunting, I doubt it would be particularly hard to source them. However, one can also understand why zoos may be hesitant to do this: Most ordinary zoo visitors probably see pronghorns as "just another deer/antilope", and Antilocapra a. americana isn't threatened. In Europe there's the added issue of importing a species that, unless a bunch of zoos came together, essentially would be destined for inbreeding. Sourcing the two highly threatened pronghorn races mentioned earlier (peninsularis and sonoriensis) would be much harder and their natural ranges are also restricted to hot, dry regions. They're likely to be much more vulnerable to cold and rain than the common and widespread Antilocapra a. americana.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2013
  16. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Minnesota Zoo has them and that area gets humid.

17. zorg

zorg Member

thank's for those interesting new posts especially maps from condor if you compare with map of natural distribution of the species [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pronghorn]Pronghorn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    it seems to make sense

18. Kifaru Bwana

BTW: Tierpark Berlin had plans for an North American realm including pronghorn antelope (the nominate race ...).

19. zorg

zorg Member

when you say tierpark Berlin had plans that mean this project is over ?
    and which where the other species planned

20. Stjarna

Stjarna Member

I'm not sure if it's still there, but I think Kanazawa zoo in Japan has a pronghorn.