Join our zoo community

Noah's Ark Zoo Farm Noah opens "Big Cat Sanctuary"

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 30 Jan 2010.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Noah's has obtained a litter of 3 eight month old african lion cubs from another UK zoo named in article below. The Tiger Territory has been renamed in honour of this. It will now be known as Big Cat Sanctuary. Khan and the remaining female tiger are being returned to Martin Lacey in exchange for a non breeding female as company for Tanvir (he's staying at Noah's Ark)

Lion cubs to join controversial zoo in Wraxall | Bristol News

Last edited: 31 Jan 2010
  2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well from that article I cannot see them re-joining BIAZA any time soon,pity Linton are sending animals to them ,I know of a couple of places that have not sent animals to the place because they have been removed from BIAZA.

3. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Weird, I've never heard about the "acts of animal cruelty" that the CAPS person supposedly witnessed?

4. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Why not?

Nor have I!

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I seem to recall some controversy about them feeding rabbits from the pet's corner to the carnivores? Certainly that wasn't anything I could see a problem with if that's what they're referring to.

However, I likewise do not expect them to rejoin BIAZA any time soon. Partly because I don't think they'll necessarily want to, partly because their relationship with the Great British Circus was part of the controversy that led to them being ejected in the first place (even if it wasn't the final straw).

6. zoogiraffe

The fact that they still have Tigers and Camels from LinTrek.

7. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Up until recently Belfast held elephants and tigers that belonged to circuses, I am sure there are others. as long as the animals are not going back to the circus I dont think there would be a problem. Thats not to say they will rejoin.

8. zoogiraffe

Yes but they were open about where the animals came from.But thats not the only reason I say they won`t be back in BIAZA in a hurry,but I`m not commenting on the others on here.

9. moloch gibbon

moloch gibbon Active Member

The elephants refered to: Johti & Vishesh, were purchased from the Chipperfield Organisation (who incidentally, advertised their services openly in such laudable publications as IZN) around 10 years ago. I'm sure there were few indeed the number of British Zoos that had had elephants (and other animals?) from the Chipperfield Organisation around or before this period. It should be remembered too, that the calf: Vishesh, was concieved and born at Belfast before being purchased from the Chipperfields (the calf's father, Luka, who was also owned by Chipperfields and kept for a period at Belfast, was purchased by John Aspinall for Port Lympne). Re the tigers; again this is going back to 1998 when they arrived - initially as a short-term agreement until their new housing was built, and Belfast agreed to look after them temporarily; ths was to last for 11 years when the white tiger 'Jack' was euthanised.

10. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

The point I was making was that other zoos have not been kicked out for housing circus stock, Belfast was just an example. I think the main trouble would be animals going back to the circus rather than still holding the camels and tigers from LinTrek.

11. zoogiraffe

The thing is the Circus link is not the only reason why they have had there BIAZA membership suspended.

12. Dartboy

Dartboy Active Member

what is the actual point of them getting three male lions, dont they want to breed lions? Or is this just because linton dosent have anywhere else to give them to and noahs ark always want more animals.

13. Nisha

These cubs are surplus. The article has the sexes wrong as well. They are 2:1 according to Linton's website.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2010
  14. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

i thought all the lion cubs born at Linton where supposed to go to Africa for their reintroduction programme??

As for Noah's Ark holding lions, then they should only hold males, there are plenty of them floating around in various zoo's and safari's.

15. Nisha

Only one cub born at Linton has gone back to Africa. She was called Zara and was handreared at Linton Zoo before going to Paradise Wildlife Park and eventually being sent to Uganda with a lioness from Paradise.

Linton sent 3:0 to Coombe Martin in Devon not long ago as well.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2010
  16. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would hope that Linton do not breed any more lions .

17. easytigger

easytigger Well-Known Member

Agreed!! 8 months old is nowhere near a natural dispersal age for lions, I can only assume that these cubs were bred for the peak summer season cute factor and are being off loaded to allow lintons lioness to concieve and give birth ready for the '10 summer season.

If this is the case rather then jumping up and down condemning noahs ark for taking in these animals we should be condemning Linton for continuing this practise.

18. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

The cub sent to Uganda was named Zara.
    I myself think 8 months is a tad too early to be moved, Basically all the cubs born at Linton have either been born in October or May so either way it hits the summer. These cubs would not of been born if the Cubs born October 2008 had survived but unfortunately they all died at Birth.
    Im pretty sure that only 1 more litter will take place in which they intend to keep them at the Zoo as a family group.
    Basically Noahs Ark have a reasonable sized big cat complex which is not really being used so it frees up more space.
    I have been told that the cubs will be monitered whilst they are at Noahs Ark so everything goes A ok.
    It is not Breeding animals for the Summer just for the visitors as to be honest during the Summer they were too young to go out exploring and didnt really make very many visits outside, it is just how the breeding pattern lies.
    Lion Cubs born at Linton can be chosen for the Uganda project but as Noahs Ark had the space they are being sent there instead.
    I have heard that the female may be moved on shortly so the Zoo will just have 2 lions both of which will be males. I would not be suprised if they do not breed them.

19. easytigger

easytigger Well-Known Member

Thank you for this information Riziki, I will take that on board. That said I stand by the fact that 8 months is way to young for these cats to be moved from their parents, they should be together for at least another 12 months if not longer.

It might just be convienient that this enclosure is available due to unforseen circumstances, but there are other options available once a cub reaches its natural dispersal age. So I'm still dubious over the collections desire to move these cubs on so early, especially if they plan to keep the next litter as a family group, why not just keep this litter as a family group?!

20. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For what reason does Africa need captive-born lions from the UK? Yes, lions are a threatened species across their range, but it is more to do with available space then actual numbers of animals. As we all know lions breed like rabbits when given the opportunity.

What is the lineage of Linton's lions? Again taxonomically there may well be little difference between Southern African lions and those from East Africa, but I dare say that Linton's are of mixed 'African'/typical captive lion blood.

Not sure I understand the logic of this. Nor Linton sending lion cubs to Noah's...