Join our zoo community

Noah's Ark Zoo Farm Noah opens "Big Cat Sanctuary"

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 30 Jan 2010.

1. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

I was thinking that myself! Surely there are any number of African lions in breeding farms in Africa if they need captive lions...

Perhaps someone on here knows why?

2. easytigger

easytigger Well-Known Member

African lions are in serious decline most scientists but the wild population at around 17,500 to 20,000 individuals (western lowland gorilla wild populations currently stand at apporx 50,000) as a whole population, not taking into account sub-species.

There are a number of reasons for this, habitat destruction, dystemper, famine and drought, but trophy hunting and poisoning are key factors in the decline of the wild lion populations, if an Alpha lion gets killed by a hunter or is poisoned its not just one lion that dies, when his pride is taken over by marauding males, they will also kill all of his offspring so thats 2-3 litters of cubs killed in a very short space of time. In some cases no sooner have new males taken over a pride, and after the gestation period cubs have been born then the new male might get shot and the cycle starts again.

A quick google search will provide data showing significant decrease in mane sizes of alpha male lions as younger and younger males are taking over prides, in some cases 4-5 year olds.

whilst nowhere near as endangered as the asiaic lion the African lion does need our help, more then some people realise.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2010
  3. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

We are in no doubt about African lion numbers declining. Just cannot understand why they are exporting lions of questionable lineage to reintroduce back to the wild?

4. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

I didn't understand that when they put "The lion cub from Harrods" back into the wild. Most zoo lions (Lintons included) are just generic lion mongrels, like "Bengal" tigers.

5. Naimsindi

Naimsindi Active Member

Zara and Bisa were not returned to "the wild". They were sent to the Ugandan Wildlife Education Centre (UWEC) in Entebbe. UWEC aims to get local people interested and involved in conserving local wildlife. They do some rescue and rehabilitation work with local fauna. However, Zara, as a hand-reared captive-born lion, will be staying at the centre as an ambassador of her species, promoting preservation and conservation of the few remaining "wild" Ugandan lions, now only found in 3 of the 10 national parks.

6. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Thankyou for confirming that Naimsindi,
    Im guessing its alot like some of the Born Free Sanctuary's?
    Big enclosures set in the wild of many acres in size?
    Yes, she may not be in the wild but she still has a chance to live in the place she belongs.
    If we keep bickering about all the slightly different subspecies of lions out there, then soon enough we are not going to be left with any.
    Which would be a very sad sight indeed.
    Lions which are released will quickly adapt to learn to live in that area, for example shorter manes can be grown over a period of generations.
    What we have to do is keep them alive in the places they belong not bicker about why not to 'release' them because their lineage is not correct. It is an important matter but surely not as important as the entire species as a whole?

The African Lion is not as common as we all think, Which is one of the reasons it is in serious decline because we are not realising it.

7. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I still find the idea that Linton sent two generic zoo lions to Uganda even for educational purposes to be wasteful and pointless. The sheer expense of transporting the cats, let alone stress, when suitable animals almost certainly could have been sourced from within East Africa, beggars belief. And if Linton are claiming that this move is part of their conservation ethic, then the management are deluded. I certainly don't have a problem with animals shown for educational purposes (the vast majority of zoo animals are there for that purpose alone) but passing it off as releasing them into the wild (if that is what Linton are claiming) is a blatant lie.

African lions do certainly require some rapid assistance for the in-situ population, but what they don't need are generic zoo lions being released to mix with wild lions or without following standard IUCN release protocols. There are too many examples where rushed or ad hoc releases have led to odd effects in wild populations - 'pure' polecats into the UK, female Twycross tiger into India for starters. While I agree that sometimes taxonomy can be a bit hit and miss, it is important that if we do release animals into the 'wild' that they are the right ones. It is examples like these that give animal activist groups fuel for pouring scorn on zoo conservation ethics.

8. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Are you sure Linton are claiming releasing to the Wild?
    Most things say 'Linton Lions to Uganda' there is nothing about being released into the Wild that I can find and have seen anyway.

9. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Apparently NAZF are planning on sending one of their lions to Uganda aswell!

10. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Does that mean they'll possibly breed from the remaining 1.1 (who are brother and sister by the way)?

11. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Wouldn't think so, as far as I know Noahs Ark aim to have 1:1 of every animal like the biblical story.

12. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

In that case, they need to read the bible more carefully, I believe it actually says 7 of every "clean" and 2 of every "unclean" animal.

13. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They could argue it depends on which version of the bible you read as they can be different,but I agree with you 100%.

14. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

That really doesnt suprise me Vulpes, I had heard one of the cubs could be going to Uganda.
    This means that they have a male and female of the African Lion species. And as allready said they intend to keep 1:1 of every species they can, this keeps in line with their creationist principles.
    If they do try and breed them then it would not be a very good idea with them being siblings and it would be a decision made entirely by the Mangement and Noah's.
    But im sure even Noahs know breeding siblings is not a good idea.

15. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

I made a point earlier about several zoos displaying circus animals on "loan" but a thought that just occurred to me is, on a lot of children's farms in zoos, they will take lambs, chicks, kid goats and piglets on loan from farms. When they out grow their "cute" stage they are sent back to the farm to questionable conditions. I think if we are looking at this from an ethical point of view the value on an animals life cannot be determined by how rare it is, therefore a piglet has as much right to a nice life as a tiger!