Join our zoo community

Noah's Ark Zoo Farm Noah's Ark News 2013

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by john, 7 May 2013.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think most 'Zoowatchers' on here now have a fair idea where their initial Elephants are coming from- I won't say where as its still not confirmed.

On their publicity blurbs about the new Elephant complex, it still states variously in different sections that they will have 'a related group of cows and a bull' while somewhere else 'allowing Asian elephants to breed' and yet again 'to house rescue elephants if required' (or similar). A pair of African elephants don't exactly fit any of these descriptions but as has been commented before, they are obviously obtaining whatever elephants they can initially. But is the longerterm aim different perhaps?

My main question is whether the new build has facilities to hold Elephants in more than a single group i.e. both species at the same time and/or a breeding group and non-breeders.?

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The concept of my agreeing with a writer in the Observer will not come as a surprise to those who know me, but I thought I'd register my agreement anyway.

(though I would have inserted a plug for the science-orientated alternative of Bristol Zoo Gardens/Wild Place in there somewhere!)

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

To be fair, it's not really a review. It is a critique of the signs and posters that Alice Roberts saw, with a mention of the children's playground. She has written nothing about the enclosures or the animals.
    I presume that she is the anatomist who has fronted several BBC features about human evolution and can sometimes be seen in old 'Time Team' repeats, kneeling beside a fragment of bone with a toothbrush (and rather stylish pink hair).
    I am confident that what she has written is correct, but I have no intention of visiting NAZF to confirm it. I might get too angry.

Alan

Last edited: 8 Dec 2013
  6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No, there is no comment at all on the enclosure layout, design or anything relating to the animal collection itself.

And still those Elephants haven't arrived (afaik).

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Longest summer ever ;)