Join our zoo community

Noah's Ark Zoo Farm Noah's Ark suspended by zoo welfare group

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tarsiidae, 31 Oct 2009.

1. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Partly on topic [just!] - but can anyone from the UK confirm a story that circulated some years ago?

The gist of it was that South Lakes had been booted out of BIAZA [or it's predecessor] by Ms Stevenson because she considered it inappropriate that David Gill had been photographed for publicity purposes sitting on the back of a rhino.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That would leave them one large newly built big cat enclosure lying empty. If not more Tigers, I am sure they will fill it with something- Lions? (or do they have them already?)

3. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Well-Known Member

Why don't they accommodate lions from Romanian zoo?

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If they took a few of those from the Yorkshire Park that is doing the importation of that whole group, they might generate some good publicity for themselves.

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Only for them to get more negative publicity when one escapes:p:D

6. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hadn't heard that one, but anything is possible from South Lakes. I was led to believe that Gill took South Lakes out of BIAZA as he was a member of EAZA, and didn't want to deal with the criticisms within the UK (thus still being a member of a zoo association). That may well be simplified and probably with a good dash of old fashioned zoo gossip...

7. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

I saw Gill at the EAZA meeting in Bath a couple of years ago. Not sure if he was at BIAZA that same year which I went to on The Isle of Man. Actually anyone can attend these meetings provided you pay. The only thing you can't do is go to the membership meeting which tends to happen on the last day.