Join our zoo community

Nocturnal chinchilla exhibit?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Agalychnis, 16 Jun 2014.

1. Agalychnis

Agalychnis Active Member

Are there any zoos that keep a colony of chinchillas in a nocturnal exhibit?

I've been thinking about that the chinchilla is seriosly underrated as a zoo animal. It would be a great ambassador species for the steep, rocky terrain of the High Andes for several reasons:

1: Chinchillas are rated "critically endangered" by the IUCN Red List
    2: Most people know and love chinchillas
    3: Chinchillas appeal to the "nurture gene" because of their cuteness
    4: Chinchillas are endemic to the southern High Andes
    5: Chinchillas are almost sole prey for the endangered Andean Mountain Cat
    6: Chinchillas are endangered due to poaching for the fur trade
    7: Chinchillas show several adaptations to their dry, rocky, cold environment

I think the best way to show chinchillas would be to have a large nocturnal exhibit looking like their natural habitat (steep, rocky terrain of the High Andes). Chinchillas are highly nocturnal, and in an exhibit looking like their natural habitat their nimbleness and agility could be appreciated (in their natural habitat, they jump like squirrels and are sure-footed as mountain goats!). Under natural conditions, chinchillas live in colonies numbering up to 100 individuals, and they thrive when kept several individuals together in captivity (when given adequate space).

I simply don't see why zoos don't appreciate the chinchilla more. It is endangered (due to poaching, even!), a keystone species, appealing, easy to keep, easy to breed and highly adapted to an otherwise forgotten habitat.

2. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

London Zoo has a nocturnal exhibit although not in a large colony.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

London Zoo has a nocturnal chincilla exhibit I believe.