Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park Nola - 1974 to 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by Nisha, 22 Nov 2015.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Statement just released by the park: :( one step closer to the end....

It is with profound sadness we announce that 41-year-old Nola, one of only 4 remaining northern white rhinos, has died. Nola, who lived here since 1989, was under veterinary care for a bacterial infection, as well as age-related health issues. In the last 24 hours, Nola’s condition worsened and the animal care team made the difficult decision to euthanize her. We’re absolutely devastated by this loss, but resolved to fight even harder to ‪#‎EndExtinction‬. We ask you to join us in that fight. Please share your memories of Nola and your condolences with the ‪#‎Nola4Ever‬ hashtag, and let this be a warning of what is happening to wildlife everywhere. ‪#‎RIP‬ sweet girl. You will be deeply, dearly missed

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Another step towards the inevitable :(

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Nola was too beautiful for this world. RIP

6. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

7. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Something that I posted to Facebook during the summer after I visited Nola:

San Diego Zoo has frozen samples of 12 individuals that are not closely related. Their plan is to build a rhino conservation center at the Safari Park, import 6 young female southern white rhinos from healthy populations in South Africa and begin work on IVF. IVF in rhinos has never been successful. Once they have the technique worked out on the southern whites, they will then use the stored samples from the northern whites to implant into the southern whites. It is quite possible that this work will take 10 years to accomplish due to the fact that rhino gestation is about 15 months. 1 year to finish the conservation center (already under construction), 5 years to work out the IVF technique, and then 2 2-year cycles of rhino pregnancy.

Why so much work?

There is roughly a 1.1 million year separation between the northern and southern white rhinos (more than enough to classify them as separate species). The rough human equivalent of this is they are more divergent from one another than Homo sapiens is from H. neanderthalensis, H. heidelberensis, and H. antecessor. Another way of putting it is, they are roughly equivalent to the difference between Common Chimpanzees and Bonobos.

If San Diego Zoo Safari Park is able to accomplish this task, then it will go down as the single greatest achievement in animal conservation human-kind has ever undertaken. It can only be achieved through the highest state-of-the-art technology: IVF, cloning, modern population management, zoos, and people who care. For me, it should be considered a crowning achievement of what the human species can do and should deserve a place alongside the works of Shakespeare, the masterpieces of the Italian Renaissance artists, Beethoven's Symphonies, and the first flight by the Wright Brothers.

But, that's a big IF.

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Pretty sure that isn't a video about Nola :p

10. wensleydale

I remember hearing someone say somewhere that there was talk that she would go to the Smithsonian, were they really considering that or was it just a rumor?

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's better than the incinerator, that's for sure. That's the fate for most dead zoo animals.

13. wensleydale

I look forward to the day that most dead zoo animals are disposed of using alkaline hydrolysis instead; I think it is more environmentally friendly. I sincerely think that might someday happen.

That said I'm glad Nola has been preserved for further study. I hope that parts of her will be displayed to the public now and again, even though it says that the remains that were sent there will not be on display.

14. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thought she was going to be taxidermed