Join our zoo community

Norfolk / Suffolk trip in the summer

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BeakerUK, 19 Jun 2018.

1. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

In the summer I am hopefully taking a short break over Norfolk / Suffolk way to combine with visiting an ill friend. I am sadly limited on time so won't be able to visit everywhere over there, but I am planning on a day at Colchester Zoo (I was delighted to realise I get in free with my Chester membership), a second day to visit both Africa Alive and Thrigby Hall, and a third day stopping at Banham Zoo on the way home.

Because these places are so far away from me, and this is not an area I ever visit otherwise, I am anxious to get everything possible out of this trip. So I was wondering if anyone had any hints, tips or suggestions for visiting these places, along with anything I absolutely mustn't miss (I am a fan of most things as long as they don't have 8 legs).

TZDugong likes this.
  2. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Banham is nice, but you won't spend a full day there. The bird of prey displays are excellent, definitely don't miss them. I think they do two a day, with different birds showcased in each. They had another display type thing as well, damned if I can remember what they called it, that was great as well, I just remember the Genet romping around above the audience on ropes.

Colchester however has some pretty dull displays, I wouldn't go again if I got the chance to visit.

I've not been to the two others, but they will certainly add some nice species to your Challenge lists!

3. BeakerUK

I won't be at Banham for the full day as I will also be driving home (which is going to take at least 3 hours) but I shall definitely look out for a bird of prey display there, thank you. I have to say my eyes watered a little at the cost of getting into Africa Alive and Banham. I even looked into getting an annual pass for Linton, what with the partnership thing between them, Shepreth, AA, Banham and various other places (as I am definitely going to be going back to Linton and Shepreth sometime this year) but it wasn't going to save me any money.

4. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Banham/Africa Alive day tickets are quite expensive in the summer. I believe you would need to collect the Linton membership on a follow up visit and not on the day you buy it, so that wouldn't suit you this weekend.

5. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I concur with @Dormitator, the bird shows at Banham are the best I've seen in the UK. The morning show (11:30am) usually has the bald eagle flying, while the afternoon show (2:30pm) ends with the vultures. The Amazing Animals show (12:30pm) is also wonderful, which varies each day but will feature some of the following: large hairy armadillo, seriema, serval, genet, lemur, barn owl.

As for Thirgby, they have recently had a snow leopard cub, not sure how visible it is though, as well as young Siamang, gibbon and the three Amur leopard cubs that are still young and active. My favourite part is the cat cloisters, where they house leopard cat, Tibetan golden cat and Owston's palm civet - let me know if you see this, it has eluded me every time I've visited!

sooty mangabey likes this.
  6. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On my first few visits the Civet was in the first enclosure on the left , so could at least be seen even if asleep indoors, but on my latest visit last month it has been moved to the opposite side which has no viewing of the indoor area, a nuisance !
    You might miss the Clouded Leopard in the cage in the corner of the lake area if you don't know it's there.
    Other rarities, I think possibly the only mugger crocodiles and crab eating Macaques in the UK. Also American Alligator, saltwater crocodile, Indian Porcupine. There is also a fairly young and lively Sulawesi macaque .

Edit - just checked ZTL, they are the only crab eating Macaques in England, but not the UK, as there is a Welsh holder apparently.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2018
  7. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

AA and Banham are both worthy visits, as is Thrigby. Another local collection (also not huge) is Amazona in Cromer, cats include puma and jaguarundi but it's not the most diverse of collections, being focused on South American species.

8. BeakerUK

I wish I could extend the trip and include Amazona and a few other little places I have marked on my map over in that neck of the woods, but sadly time is limited so I had to pick just the four. I am very much looking forward to them, they all seem to have some interesting species, and it is nice to have new places I've not been to before (which is getting increasingly difficult!)

BongoHardwood and Brum like this.
  9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Shorelands is well worth a visit for out of the way species like Chacoan Mara

10. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think Shorelands is closed to the public and last time I was there the Mara had gone.

11. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Went to Thrigby last week and loved it. Go in the afternoon (2 for 2.30) for the big cat feeding. The barriers are nearer to the enclosures than anywhere else I know and you really get a good look at the leopards and tigers. I didnt see the Civet but I did see them at Newquay a few weeks ago so all in all a super half day out. The snow leopard cub has started leaving the den but I missed it.

12. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At Colchester, be prepared to become a little disorientated as the place is rather like a maze and even with a map it's easy to get lost. The larger species are pretty well signposted, but don't miss the smaller things like the bearded sakis (between the sealions and the squirrel moneys), the fennec foxes (beside the lions) or the blue duikers and dik-diks (opposite the mandrills and hyaenas). On my last visit it took me a while to find the smooth otters, and I thought I knew my way around :)

13. BeakerUK

That is really helpful, thank you. It's exactly the kind of thing I need to know as I will be really cross with myself if I miss things! I also have a pretty ropey sense of direction, hehe!

14. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

At Colchester Make sure you don’t miss the free elephant and giraffe feeds that take place throughout the day!

BeakerUK likes this.
  15. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I haven't been to Banham for a long time, but when I last went I would have thought it fairly easy to spend a whole day there. I guess it partly depends on what species you're most interested in.

If cost is an issue, I'd probably bin Suffolk and spend more time at Banham, but again, depending on your own preferences.