Join our zoo community

North American Asian Elephant Population

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by Elephant Enthusiast, 7 Feb 2018.

1. E Maximus

E Maximus Well-Known Member Premium Member

Although I highly suspect they will move to an Australian zoo, I could see several facilities opting for them. With only one of them being of breeding age that could be a complication for many others. But I could potentially see Fort Worth, NZP, and Tulsa as options if they were to move to the US. This would allow Fort Worth to save over 2 million since they would only need really need to cover transportation and wouldn't be purchasing elephants from another facility. Its already been rumored that NZP will be acquiring two new females in the near future, so if this option would be cheaper then I could see them pursuing it. Tulsa I could see as well, especially given that they want to renovate their exhibit to bring in breeding aged cows. The last two are better logistically due to the facilities also having older females to potentially pare Burma with, while Anjalee attempts to conceive with the facilities bulls.

2. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My immediate thoughts as far as possible US institutions would definitely be either Los Angeles or Miami in terms of a pairing that’s going to maximize genetic diversity. I had also considered the National zoo- the latter of the 2 having already successfully imported elephants in recent years. I’m skeptical of Tulsa considering it sounds like a time sensitive move. Tulsa is at capacity in terms of indoor space with the arrival of Booper until she is Introduced to Sooky. This leaves Tulsa, in my opinion, out of the question to receive additional elephants until at least a new barn is built. Logistically I’m sure they’ll move to the new elephant sanctuary habitat that’s to be built at Victoria’s open range zoo. This facility will house Melbourne’s collection and give both elephants the opportunity to integrate into a an existing multigenerational herd with similarly aged elephants.

Elephant Enthusiast likes this.
  3. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I personally wouldn't be surprised to hear of them going to the US either. I have my doubts about Ft Worth, bear in mind that although it would still be cheaper, moving elephants overseas is still tremendously expensive, and Anjalee is still an unproven cow, while the Rockton animals are guaranteed breeders...

Personally, if they come to the US, I think LA would be the most likely contender as well. Miami perhaps too, but for some reason my gut tells me they're going to maintain just thir current three until one of their older animals dies, before bringing in new stock. I do hope I'm wrong on that one though.

4. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

They are not moving to this sanctuary. Auckland Zoo wants to move both cows in the first half of 2021 so that Anjalee can breed, but the sanctuary will complete its elephant facility until 2023.

5. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yep, you’re right on the money @Elephantelephant . For some reason, i’m thinking it will be somewhere in the US as well. Smithsonian’s National Zoo could be another option, for Spike to increase his genetic diversity. Don’t overlook Los Angeles though. They are another strong contender for this female duo.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2020
    E Maximus and Elephantelephant like this.
  6. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe the older of the cows maybe to old for breeding and as the younger one has been bred AI 5 times with no luck I would not bank on getting much if any genetics into the US, I believe a closer move to Australia would be in their best interests!

7. Jambo

Burma is 38 and never been pregnant, so never will. Anjalee meanwhile, is only 15 and is a possibility considering there was a cow recently who gave birth for the first time at 23.

8. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thats my point moving her all the way to the US would be a waste of time as far breeding is concerned and Anjalee might be 15 but having 5 attempts at breeding with her and nothing to show so far is not a good average!

9. Elephantelephant

It should be noted that these were all AI attempts, natural breeding can be much more successful. In addition, it is possible that AI has only been atempted with the semen of one bull; not every cow may sit with each bull. If it was Bong Su, he didn't have to be so prolific by the end of his life. I think it's worth breed her.

Jambo and Jaxton like this.
  10. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to one newspaper article, only 3 of the 5 attempts were with fresh, high-quality semen and for these 3 attempts, the timing was poor due to irregularities in her cycle. For the other two tries, apparently frozen semen was used which is of much poorer quality. I think Anjalee has a very good chance of getting pregnant by natural breeding. That she didnt get pregnant is more an example of the limiations of AI in elephants and not an indication of fertility problems.

11. Jambo

Mysore is still alive and doing well. The current oldest female is Shirley (76) at Wild Adventures, though I can’t be certain she is still alive as the last article on her was from last year.

Elephantelephant likes this.
  12. Jambo

Really surprised this hasn’t been mentioned. A male Asian Elephant calf named Cameron Lee was born Aug 2 to parents, Tommy and Whimpy at the Endangered Ark Foundation. A brilliant achievement considering Whimpy is 50 years of age! :)

Facebook मा लगइन गर्नुहोस्

This is the third Asian Elephant birth of 2020, and the third male, following Nelson (in May) and Avi (in June).

This is also Whimpy’s seventh offspring:

Shoney (M) Born 1981, died 1983
    Colonel (M) Born 1991, at Fort Worth Zoo
    Natasha (F) Born 1994, at African Lion Safari
    Val (F) Born 2007, at Carson and Barnes Circus
    Hugo (M) Born 2011, at Dickerson Park Zoo
    Dory Marie (F) Born 2015, at Endangered Ark Foundation
    Cameron Lee (M) Born 2020, at Endangered Ark Foundation

Last edited: 8 Dec 2020
  13. Elephantelephant

It has already been mentioned. But it is a very interesting event that a cow at this age is still healthy enough to give birth to a calf.

14. Elephantelephant

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is EAF part of the AZA breeding program?

How many Asiatic elephant at EAF now?

16. Jambo

I’m not sure if they are part of the breeding program but they have 10 current Elephants:

Alta (F) Born 1964 wild
    Lilly (F) Born 1967 wild
    Margaret (F) born 1969 wild
    Rosie (F) Born 1969 wild
    Del Rita (F) Born 1970 wild
    Whimpy (F) Born 1970 wild
    Tommy (M) Born 1992 Vance x Birka
    Obert (M) Born 2003 Buke x Isa
    Dory Marie (F) Born 2015 Tommy x Whimpy
    Cameron Lee (M) Born 2020 Tommy x Whimpy

17. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

According to their website they have 15 elephants plus Cameron Lee who they haven't added to the website yet. I noticed on the Elephant Database it states that they only have 10, is that an error?
    https://www.endangeredarkfoundation.org/meet-the-herd

Elephantelephant likes this.
  18. Jambo

The database can sometimes be a little unreliable, but they have seemed to be up to date recently. I searched up the five females that their website states they have (Zola, Libby, Lisa, Traci and Suzy) on the Databse and it says that they all currently reside at Carson and Barnes Circus. It’s possible that the circus has recently sent these five females to the Ark Foundation but there is no evidence of such move (possibly because of animal rights activists).

19. E Maximus

E Maximus Well-Known Member Premium Member

If I'm not mistaken, ARK and Carson and Barnes Circus are virtually the same entity. The circus' website sites the founders of ARK(D.R & Isla Miller) as founders/co-founders of the circus aswell. I breifly remember a cirucs car even being on the property when I visited, however I dont recall the name that was on the car.

nczoofan, Jambo and StoppableSan like this.
  20. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

They are the same. Similar to Ringling and the CEC

Jambo and Hyak_II like this.