Join our zoo community

North American Asian Elephant Population

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by Elephant Enthusiast, 7 Feb 2018.

1. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

Morgan Berry, an elephant showman in the 1950-60s, was the one exception to this. His male Thonglaw was the sire of the famous Packy, the first calf born in the US in 44 years in 1962 in Portland. That much is well-known zoo lore, but reading a circus site one time, I learned that he established a five-male travelling act featuring impressive fellows such as Thailand, Ranchipur, that we know from Houston and SD zoos. I forget who the others were, but one could have been Thonglaw, who sired the 12-foot tall, 14,500-pound Packy--impressive by any standards. This show was very successful, but Berry ironically was killed by one of his elephants at his home ranch in Washington state.

StoppableSan and Yi Qi like this.
  2. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

AMAZING NEWS!!!!

0.1 Lilly gave birth to a female calf named Luna on August 17, 2018 at the African Lion Safari while 0.1 Opal gave birth to a male calf named Onyx on August 18, 2018 at the African Lion Safari. Both calves were sired by 1.0 Johnson.
    Two Baby Elephants | African Lion Safari

The North American population now consists of 232 (49.183) Asian elephants.

3. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

New baby at OKC zoo. 0.1 born to mama Asha and papa Rex.

4. Elephant Enthusiast

Forty seven year old 0.1 Sujatha passed away on October 16, 2018 at the Santa Barbara Zoo.
    Sujatha (1971-2018) - Santa Barbara Zoo

The North American population now consists of 232 (49.183) Asian elephants after the birth of Kairavi and the death of Sujatha.

With the passing of Sujatha, the Santa Barbara Zoo is left with a single elephant, 0.1 Little Mac. Since the Santa Barbara Zoo has plans to phase out their elephant program, Little Mac should be relocated to the San Diego Zoo or the Los Angeles Zoo. Each of these zoos will provide Little Mac with enhanced social dynamics and exceptional care.

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think Little MAC should go to the Los Angeles Zoo pair him up with Billy or the other females there.

6. Elephant Enthusiast

1.0 Chuck and 1.0 Jake were transferred from the African Lion Safari to the Denver Zoo on September ?, 2018
    Jake and Chuck - Denver Zoo

0.1 Jothi and 0.1 Surapa were transferred from the Buffalo Zoo to the Audubon Zoo on ?, ?, 2018
    Audubon Zoo Welcomes New Elephants from Buffalo Zoo

Does anyone know the exact date (month & day) when Jothi and Surapa arrived at the Audubon Zoo and Chuck and Jake arrived at the Denver Zoo?

StoppableSan and Jambo like this.
  7. Elephant Enthusiast

Last edited: 21 Nov 2018
  8. AmbikaFan

I wonder what the AZA will say about this situation. Even when paired individually with Happy in the past, both Maxine and Patty attacked her. It may be a given that they will now be sent elsewhere, but quite a few of us had hoped from some priority statementssa few years ago that the Bronx Zoo was not done with elephants yet. Between their expertise with breeding very difficult species and the vastness of the campus to allow for an ample elephant exhibit, they could be an invaluable breeding facility. Director Breheny has said that they will never again exhibit elephants not in a matriarchal herd, so it would either be a new exhibit and program or no elephants at all. With WCS's unparalleled resources, this could be a real lost opportunity.

Elephant Enthusiast likes this.
  9. Elephant Enthusiast

Five year old 0.1 Lily passed away on November 29, 2018 at the Oregon Zoo from EEHV.
    Zoo heartbroken as 6-year-old Lily succumbs to virus | Oregon Zoo

This is a devastating blow for the Oregon Zoo and the North American Asian elephant population as Lily was a young genetically valuable female. She was born from wild caught father Tusko and genetically valuable captive born mother Rose Tu. Lily was very much a valuable member of the Oregon Zoo's elephant herd.

The North American population now consists of 230 (49.181) Asian elephants.

Rest In Peace Lily
    November 30, 2012 - November 29, 2018​

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. AmbikaFan

Oh, this is devastating, especially for the Oregon Zoo who has seen a large familial herd cut in half over the last four years. First, they lost beloved Rama (son of Packy), then Lily and Sam's invaluable father Tusko, and then the famous Packy himself, who's birth started modern breeding. Portland must be hurting deeply. My condolences to Mike Lee, Rose-Tu, and everyone at the Oregon Zoo.

11. John Marchwick

12. AmbikaFan

Sorry. Bob Lee is the wonderful head of Oregon's elephant program. Had the US senator on my mind, clearly.

13. AmbikaFan

This is really wonderful--Phoebe getting pregnant after a 9-year gap and over a 20-year period, AI working, and a beautiful new calf. Can't wait to hear the gender (hope it's finally a little girl for her so she can have her own matriarchal herd) and the sire (hope it's that gorgeous Hank whose genes would be a fine addition to the population). And the sawdust pictures!! Lol so cute, but no wonder they hadn't yet determined the gender! Does anyone know the other sperm donor(s)?

14. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The other male was Samson. I really hope its a female Hank baby too!

Also they haven't determined the gender since its a PC birth! They're probably just giving Phoebe and baby space to bond, although I suspect we'll find out soon enough (personally, I already have my suspicions on the gender already going off of the video they released).

15. John Marchwick

The elephant calf that was born at the Columbus Zoo is a girl!!

Jambo and Elephant Enthusiast like this.
  16. AmbikaFan

GREAT news! Finally Phoebe has an offspring who can stay with her for life and form a multi-generational herd. I'm a long-time pug breeder, and very large sires almost always resulted in offspring born via c-section. Like Hyak, I'm going to make a guess and say that Phoebe's very rapid, unassisted, problem-free birth might point toward Samson as the dad. That said, older moms of multiple births deliver large offspring much more easily. I'm still hoping for a Hank baby! Look at how huge and handsome this guy is! Shown with Phoebe, who's not small herself!

[​IMG]

17. AmbikaFan

18. AmbikaFan

Interesting now that I think of it, that Samson was the AI donor. Samson's dad Calvin sired Phoebe's first calf, George of ALS. It seems the AZA finds the Calvin and Motek-Warda breedings valuable, but I was under the impression that Europe was positively inundated with Calvin and Motek-Warda descendents already. For the sake of genetic diversity, let's not forget that we have five Calvin sons spread throughout the US and Canada. Johnson and George are in ALS (although George has been castrated); Albert is in ABQ; Samson is now in Oregon; and Kandula is in OK City.

19. Elephant Enthusiast

The Columbus Zoo has announced the naming contest for their female Asian elephant calf: Columbus Zoo and Aquarium - Name the Elephant. The public can choose from four names that where provided by a longtime supporter of the zoo. The following names are:

Darcy , Lizzie , Ellie , Kobie

Personally, of the four names, Lizzie is the best choice as Darcy and Kobie are odd names for an elephant while Ellie is a common elephant name.

20. AmbikaFan

I'm for Lizzie too!

With all the difficulties faced in the efforts to save our zoo populations, isn't it great to be mulling over something as downright positive as a new calf's name??!? Lizzie may be an echo of Phoebe's sister Lilly.

Jambo and Elephant Enthusiast like this.