Join our zoo community

North American Clouded Leopard Population

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by Jungle Man, 4 Mar 2020.

1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe they give tours of certain areas, I spoke to a former keeper at a different zoo. I really want to check the place out but it's a fairly awkward location to get to.

TNT likes this.
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, in the USA TWP is the largest clouded leopard holder.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  3. LTigert

LTigert New Member

I really enjoy this thread, thank you for your work.
    The clouded leopards at the Toronto Zoo have always been special to me, and I was sad to learn that they are planning to phase them out...and I'm still unsure what that means.

I was wondering how you found out Levy the CL born in Toronto was sent to Safari Niagara? I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Do we know if Levy is on exhibit or not?

4. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late reply! After reading an article today, it says that Mingma and Pavarti were both born at the Nashville Zoo in 2013. Mingma was born in February and Pavarti in April. Their arrival to Toronto was on 2014.

I think I read it on a news article or somebody told me but don't remember quite correctly...

Yes, it's a shame, Toronto might phase out clouded leopards. I don't know if Levy is on exhibit at Safari Niagara.

5. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Have the 0.2 at Xtreme Exotics, Florida, been noted yet?

*Edit - I've just seen the post by @TinoPup pointing it out. Sorry for the double up!

Kifaru Bwana and TinoPup like this.
  6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

1.1 at Project Survival's Cat Haven gave birth to 0.1 on March 25, 2021.

7. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My birthday!

Arizona Docent likes this.
  8. TinoPup

Gulf Breeze Zoo now possibly has 4.

Arizona Docent and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

ThylacineAlive and TinoPup like this.
  10. TinoPup

McCarthy's Wildlife Sanctuary now has one, a young female named Luna.

11. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The last update I see here lists an individual as Raury at Lincoln's Children Zoo (NE). A Facebook post today lists an individual as Maui at the zoo. Not sure if that is a name change or movement of an individual. There is no mention of how many clouded leopards they have in the post either. I believe that the clouded leopards are often BTS at Lincoln. I have never actually seen them on exhibit.

From previous list:
    Lincoln Children's Zoo-Lincoln,Nebraska,USA
    0.1 Raury (Nashville Zoo) 00-00-00

Facebook today:

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. StellarChaser

StellarChaser Well-Known Member

13. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ok I'm the one who wrote Parc Safari so I will take the blame on that one. Its been over 2 years since I first got the info on the move so I don't remember the source. I'm pretty sure I heard it from a friend but maybe they were mistaken. My original source may have just mixed up the two safaris which is understandable. I do it myself from time to time and often try to think of them by their location instead to stop myself from that. I now know for a fact she is supposed to be a Safari Niagara. She was transferred there as of July 11 2019.

What is confusing is they say the clouded leopard there is not Levy. It absolutely has to be though. How else would they have got their hands on a clouded leopard in Canada? They aren't easy to come buy like a lynx or lion. It's not like any other zoo in Canada other than Toronto has one. My guess is the person who emailed Safari Niagara got that response because they may have changed her name. The staff member probably checked whatever data base they had and saw, let's say Mary, for the clouded leopards name and isn't aware that she had any other name. Its not uncommon for zoos to change an animals name after arrival for whatever reason. My guess is if your friend emailed the safari back and asked if she arrived July 11 2019 from Toronto or if her birthday is May 13 2017 the answers would be yes. I did find a press release from 2019 that states that is the year they were expecting a clouded leopard but didnt name her. It was the same year Toronto send them Indian rhino Nandu who arrived a few weeks ahead of Levy. https://safariniagara.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/SN-2019-FactSheet.pdf. Its great to email zoos but sometimes you have to take what you get from them with a grain of salt because you never know who is on the other end answering and if they have the right info. Sometimes the info is rock solid and other times is wrong and everything in-between. That same friend could probably email Toronto and they would confirm that is where Levy was indeed sent.

14. StellarChaser

@TZFan I just email the Safari Niagara, and they respond that the Clouded Leopard they currently have comes from an accredited zoo in US, so it is not Levy.

15. TZFan

Bizarre then where is Levy? I mean still technically could be her because Toronto wouldn't own her. Usually ownership of the first born goes to moms zoo. Second born to dads zoo. Then if their had been a third cub it would have been Toronto's as the breeding facility. Mingma was born at the Smithsonians breeding center while if I recall right Pavarti was born in Nashville. If we assume they are the owners... no idea... then Levy would belong to one and her sister Charlotte would belong to the other unless some other deal was in place. Did you ask what day she arrived or her birthday by any chance? Or if the leopard is female? This is certainly a very weird situation.

16. StellarChaser

@TZFan I did ask when did that clouded leopard come but they did not provide me the answer. I send the second e-mail to ask about the sex and age of that clouded leopard, hope to get the answer tomorrow.

17. TZFan

@StellarChaser, hope you get an answer that makes sense. Did they even tell you what the leopards name is?

18. Joseph G

Joseph G Well-Known Member

Looking for verification on a few things at Brookfield Zoo if possible:
    • Has Sky passed away?
    • Was Dongwa sent to another facility?
    • Do River & Kuso currently reside at Brookfield?
    Also looking to see who is currently at Zoo Miami. The exhibit has off-limits for the last six months or so.

19. TinoPup

East Texas Zoo & Gator Park now has a pair of cloudeds.

20. TinoPup

Big Cat Habitat & Gulf Coast Sanctuary, in Florida, now has at least one.