Join our zoo community

North American Koala Population

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by IndianRhino, 10 Aug 2022.

1. betwk220

betwk220 New Member

Does anyone know the parents of 1.0 Thoar? He was born December 18th, 2015 at San Diego Zoo and moved to Columbus in June of 2017. He unfortunately passed away in July 2022. I miss him dearly and would love to know who his parents are if anyone has any information.

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@betwk220, Thoar's father was Harrison who was born in LA in 2013 and who has now passed. His mother was Tonahleah who was born in San Diego in 2009 and has also passed.

betwk220 likes this.
  3. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's interesting to hear they are recommended for breeding outside San Diego. I wonder if continued population expansion may lead to new permanent holders.

I hope this isn't seen as off-topic given this is a Population Thread, but does anyone have information regarding historical holders? I have some, if anyone might be curious.

Lincoln Park Zoo kept koala from 1988 until sometime between 1997 and 2003. I believe they were originally on loan from San Diego. I have struggled to find information on when they were last held at the facility, but I know they were still held at Regenstein Small Mammal-Reptile House in the late 90s.

Milwaukee County Zoo held Koala from 1991 until around 2003-05 or so. I have one photograph of them during their stay. They returned in summer 2007 on loan from San Diego.

savetherhino and Neil chace like this.
  4. TZFan

@JVM, I can help some here.

Lincoln Park held females PB (1988 to her death in 2002), and Nutsy (1988 to her death in 1997), males Nacooma (1989 to his death in 1990), and Tjuringa (1991 to 1997 when he went to Milwaukee with a summer gap to Toledo in 1993). So last held in 2002.

Milwaukee actually had male Aryes for a month in 1985 which is likely why you dont know about it. They had females Dajarra (1992 to her death in 1999), Quilpie (1992 to her death in 1999), Taree (2000 to her death in 2002) males Tjuringa (1993 summer visit), Ivor (1994 to his death in 1996), Moondani (2001 to 2004 when he went to Columbus), Bamba (2007 for a 4 month visit before going home to San Diego). There was a male joey born in 2002 to Taree and Moondani but he only made it 4 months before passing.

Hope it helps. If this is side tracking the thread feel free to send any other questions my way in a private message.

savetherhino likes this.
  5. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you so, so much. I remember hearing about Milwaukee sending their last koala to Columbus but hadn't recalled the date, but I'd been trying to find out the history of Koala at Lincoln Park for years. As a child they had a koala in their visitor guidebook but no indication which exhibit held them, bugged the heck out of me trying to figure out where they were. It's great to finally have some solid information.

6. TZFan

@JVM, you are welcome. Happy to give you the info about the animals. Sorry I cant help with anything else about them other than what I provided.

7. Nile Hippo Expert

Nile Hippo Expert Well-Known Member

8. Robyn Graham

Robyn Graham Well-Known Member

Sydney was born at Zoo Tampa in 2018 to parents Heathcliff (Oz’s brother) and Ceduna (Katherine’s sister). Like all koalas, he spent more than a year with his mother learning all the necessary koala skills, and then it was time to go out on his own. At the same time, the Palm Beach Zoo had experienced the loss of the beloved Oz and Katherine and was ready to welcome a new koala.

9. King of Komodo Dragons

King of Komodo Dragons Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem to be mentioned her but in additon to male Sydney, Palm Beach Zoo also has a female named Ellin, I was told back in February that once Sydney settles in some more the plan is to breed them

10. CMZman

CMZman Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cleveland announced on their Instagram story that they have welcomed a new Joey.
    Screenshot_20230925_094903_Instagram.jpg

Loxodonta Cobra, JVM and IndianRhino like this.
  11. CMZman

CMZman Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cleveland's Joey is a male and named Bulu

12. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

The koala was named Kierra.

Riverbanks Zoo and Garden

(0.1) koala Charlotte passed away at the Riverbanks Zoo in South Carolina at age 6 due to complications following a respiratory issue.

Riverbanks Zoo and Garden

13. Nile Hippo Expert

Nile Hippo Expert Well-Known Member

Through this Facebook post, I can confirm that this animal has been named "Chip".
    Koala-ty Snack Time | Enjoy this peaceful #Koala-ty moment with Maya and her son, Chip. | By Los Angeles Zoo | Facebook

14. TaterNation

TaterNation Member

Brookfield’s getting 2.0 Koalas, named Brumby and Willium, I assume they’re some of the TBD San Diego babies from the original post

15. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes, they were born at San Diego a couple years ago.