Join our zoo community

North American Masai Giraffe Population

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by IndianRhino, 18 Dec 2021.

1. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

SwampDonkey, csartie and Elena like this.
  2. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

I haven’t seen it announce here but the LA Zoo just had a calf born on 04/08/2022, a male and reportedly the tallest born in the zoo’s history!

IndianRhino and SwampDonkey like this.
  3. IndianRhino

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The calf was 2.0m, which would also rank among the tallest newborn calves in the world with 1.8-1.9m being considered average.

The tallest giraffe in the world is Forrest at Australia Zoo. Hes 5.7m, but was only 1.9m at birth. LA's calf may one day break his record too!

Elena likes this.
  5. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

csartie, StoppableSan and IndianRhino like this.
  6. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

Twiga will be moving from the Santa Barbara Zoo to Disney's Animal Kingdom on June 3.

Login • Instagram

7. Polar bear fan

Polar bear fan Well-Known Member

VERY exciting, he’s fairly closely related to Lily and her daughter though so I wonder what the breeding plan is.

On a separate note, contrary to the population list, Sunshine and Parker are the offspring of Betty Lou, not Audrey.

8. IndianRhino

The park should have another breeding bull, last I heard George was supposed to leave and another young male (not Twiga) was supposed to arrive but not sure if that occurred. Nonetheless, Twiga has numerous other females at DAK to breed with. It's great to see several of Michael's calves in breeding situations! Fingers crossed his next calf (due this July) is female as he's had a ton of male calves already and more females are necessary for the population.

That is correct. I noticed that mistake only a little bit after I posted the list and since I haven't posted an updated list yet, it hasn't been corrected. On that note, I'll try to get an updated list posted for this thread in the next few weeks but with all the tests and projects that come with the end up of the school year, I can't make any guarantees!

csartie and Polar bear fan like this.
  9. Polar bear fan

Certainly no judgement! I was just reading about Audrey and realized the match wasn’t adding up lol. You’re right too another Michael and Audrey daughter would be amazing. Is there any word of which male will replace George or where he’ll go? Disney has so many individuals I wonder what the plan is for his 6 calves still there as well as the 9 females.

IndianRhino likes this.
  10. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

The main place that I can think of that has a couple of young bulls could be Cincinnati, They have Theo and Fenn I believe. But we cannot forget about Columbus which has 1 young bull giraffe too, Ralph who turns 2 by the end of this June. Ralphie being another young male as a possibility for the mystery male to replace George. A young female giraffe that is not in a breeding situation is Zoey also at Cincinnati which makes me wonder what her future holds. Last I had heard she was supposed to be sent to Toronto but then since Covid that transfer was cancelled. As well Schaefer and Sammie in Columbus are reaching 2 so they still have some time but I do hope Columbus gets going again in the Masai Giraffe SSP(hard when you're not accredited I guess). Those are just a few situations and a few giraffes that I do wonder what their future holds.

But yes, nonetheless great that Twiga is moving on and clearing up space in Santa Barbara.

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. IndianRhino

Some updates:
    He has been named Olmsted :)

I can confirm that 0.1 Moshi from Phoenix has been transferred out of the SSP population. Not sure where specifically she was sent however.

Also, just found out that 1.0 Twiga is recommended to breed with 8 females at DAK including Lily and her daughter Aella (despite being related to them). Nonetheless, it's great news that he'll have the opportunity to breed with so many females at DAK.

Lastly, I can confirm that 0.1 Zoey of Cincinnati is no longer headed to Toronto, that transfer has been canceled. However, I will say that if things go to plan, another young female will be making her way up to Canada in a bit.

12. IndianRhino

1.0 Zawadi was transferred to Houston Zoo from Cleveland the same day 1.0 Joshua was transferred from Houston to Lehigh Valley Zoo (May 10th). Zawadi has a breeding recommendation with the zoo’s 3 adult females.

Who’s New at the Houston Zoo, The Houston Zoo

13. Polar bear fan

14. Polar bear fan

IndianRhino likes this.
  15. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

0.1 Zella (George x Willow) passed away on December 6, 2021.

17. Kkeegan32

Kkeegan32 New Member

Does anyone know what happened to the big male masai giraffe "Artemis" that resided and made many babies at the l.a.zoo? He was a good daddy.

18. RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe

RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe Well-Known Member

He passed away sometime before 2020, but I don't know when. He was at the zoo as of February 2015.

19. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

He was transferred out of the AZA in July of 2015. Not sure where he ended up.

IndianRhino likes this.
  20. RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe

RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe Well-Known Member

Wherever he did go, I believe he has since passed away, since he would be 26 years old right now.