Join our zoo community

North American Polar Bear Population 2022

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by MidwestFan, 2 Jan 2022.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interesting move as for the first time in a while, Columbus is without a male for this breeding season. Although Crystal is decently represented within the region it will be nice to get her breeding again (her last litter was born in 2018).

StoppableSan and Polar bear fan like this.
  2. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

Crystal is not just decently represented, she's very well represented in the population. Every cub born in the population in the last 10 years (besides Luna) is either her cub or grandcub. However, she is much more valuable than her late mate Marty since she was imported from Europe and has no other relatives besides her offspring and grand offspring. Nuka is unrelated to the Aussie x Arki line (which Marty comes from) so his and Crystal's cubs will be much more genetically valuable than Marty and Crystal's progeny.

I'm genuinely surprised Crystal didn't have cubs this past season as she has consistently had cubs every 3 years since 2006 but in the end, it's a good thing she didn't since Nuka x Crystal cubs are now a possibility.

And yeah, it's surprising and unfortunate that Columbus is without a male this season, I and several others were convinced Lee would move back but I guess that's not going to happen.

We need every female breeding since the population is doing so poorly so I'm rather disappointed Aurora, Anana, and the Oregon girls (Amelia Gray and Nora) are all without a mate this season.

3. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What males could be sent to those two zoos though? Yes, Lee could go to one of them, but what other male is an option and isn't in a breeding situation?

4. Polar bear fan

Polar bear fan Well-Known Member

There really aren’t a whole lot of options. If Kalluk in San Diego is allowed to breed then he could go, but we’ve been made aware recently that he isn’t allowed to breed. If Koda sires a litter in Memphis this year then he is an option. Nuka too is an option, but he’s breeding with Crystal this year and he’ll likely return to Suka next year. All we can hope for is that Lee goes to Oregon next season and Koda has cubs in Memphis, allowing him to move from Haley.

Other than the previously mentioned four: Koda, his twin Nuka, Lee, and Kalluk every male in the eligible population is related to the four girls in Oregon and Columbus. That is what makes Lee staying in Louisville for two years without a female even more frustrating. Hope was moved to be with her uncle instead of him. Plus he, Aurora and Anana won’t have a mate again this season. I’m sure the SSP has a reason but I’m getting anxious to learn it. Hopefully if a male is not sourced for Columbus this year they can at least attempt AI. There are now two potential donors living very close to Columbus.

One last note: I know we’re all discouraged right now but remember that not everyone is transferred before breeding season. Suka and Talini were moved in March 2018, only meeting their mates in April (After which Suka even conceived). Lee may move yet, cross everything for it I guess.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2022
  5. Polar bear fan

This has not been explicitly confirmed, but when I DMed the Columbus zoo a few weeks ago asking if Lee was going to rejoin his ladies I did not get a response and was left on read for the last 3 or so weeks. This obviously confirms nothing but I wouldn’t be suprised if sometime between March 30 and early April the zoo announced his return. I apologize if this seems to speculative but I found it interesting that they left me on read instead of leaving a cookie cutter response. Lee also hasn’t been posted or tagged in any of the zoo’s posts since February 28. This lines up with everyone’s theories that Columbus and Louisville made an agreement to send Lee away to the close facility while the girls raised cubs and then bring him back when they were ready to breed. This would also avoid another tough breeding season in Louisville with Lee and Qannik being separated as she and Siku once were.

iluvwhales and StoppableSan like this.
  6. E Maximus

E Maximus Well-Known Member Premium Member

I was just at Louisville two days ago and Lee was still there so I fear he won’t be moving anytime that soon if at all.

IndianRhino likes this.
  7. IndianRhino

It's not surprising that they left you on read, that happens to me quite a bit. It's either that or they never open the message at all. Long story short, most zoos hate replying to messages on social media or via email! :p
    But yeah, it doesn't necessarily mean they're hiding anything, sometimes they're just hesitant to say anything for other pretty understandable (yet frustrating) reasons.

That's unfortunate but thanks for letting us know! I wonder what the SSP's reasoning behind him staying at Louisville is... they've been really good about moving animals around for breeding purposes but for some reason, I guess they've decided Columbus will just be without a male this season.

8. Polar bear fan

Oh, my… sorry for my post then! I guess I was hoping to magically manifest his transfer. Thank you for the update though.

9. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know what Henry Vilas Zoo plans on doing?

10. Polar bear fan

Since the acquisition of Berit their program has been built around her acting as a companion for young bears who’ve just left their mothers/siblings until they reach maturity. Suka was with her until age 5, Nuniq until he was 4, Bo is three and may leave later this year. The two possibilities that their current program would fit are retaining Bo for another year until he’s 5 or bringing in one or two of Detroit’s cubs who will need new homes later this year.

11. EsserWarrior

I know that they tried to inseminate her, but it has never been successful. Do they not want to breed at Henry Vilas?

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. Polar bear fan

That was the intention when they built the exhibit. Berit is 23 years old while Bo is 3. She has never bred before, so her chances of conceiving and carrying a pregnancy at her age are fairly low. She is also one of the birth control females I believe so that decreases her odds even more. Bo would be mature enough to begin breeding from next breeding season, but sourcing a mate for an unproven 4 year old who is the son of Marty and Crystal will be difficult. Their best chance at maintaining bears into the future is to continue using Berit as a mentor for young bears. Laerke and Astra in Detroit will need a new home this year and the maternal Berit would make an ideal pal for one or both of them (especially Laerke).

Henry Vilas’ only shot at breeding from their current bears relies on the birth of a female cub in Memphis and then at least four years of maturation time before breeding with Bo. They may attempt AI with Berit again, but it is unlikely to produce cub.

13. Neil chace

So do you consider it likely that Henry Vilas will lose Polar bears in the next few years?

14. Polar bear fan

I don’t want to over-speculate. The zoo has an amazing facility though, they have the perfect mentor bear for young cubs, they currently have one young bear. I would say that their program is safe as long Berit is alive and well at the zoo. Bo may stay or he may leave for a different facility, but Berit is unlikely to leave and could be kept company by younger bears for a decade to come. The main factor would be whether or not they have a younger bear to replace Berit. If Astra and Laerke come to the zoo this year for example (which they probably only will if their father returns to Detroit), then they could have 3 bears for an upwards of 3 years. If no cubs are born this year or next year though then they may only house Berit for a period of time after the younger bears leave.

StoppableSan and Neil chace like this.
  15. Neil chace

I will definitely be interesting though over the next few years which zoos stop keeping Polar bears. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up losing ten or so more holders if the population continues the way its going.

StoppableSan and Polar bear fan like this.
  16. EsserWarrior

Berit is an amazing individual. I love seeing her, and I am glad that she plays such an important role in the captive polar bear program in the AZA. I wish she could've had cubs of her own, but that doesn't sound like something that will happen any time soon. It is a shame that Henry Vilas will not have cubs in their beautiful facility.

17. Polar bear fan

On March 21 Crystal and Nuka were introduced. According to the Toledo zoo the pair are getting along very well and there is hope for cubs to be born this year.

18. Neil chace

I know there's been a lot of talk about Lee being at Louisiville and why he isn't in a breeding situation, but what is Nuniq doing at Kansas City? He seems to be another breeding age male, kept with a post-reproductive female. Why can't they move him to either Oregon or Columbus?

19. IndianRhino

Nuniq is very well represented and at 5 years old, he’s still on the younger side for an adult male. I’m not too surprised he isn’t being incorporated into the breeding program and would expect for him to remain as a non-breeding male for a while.

He’s related to Oregon and Columbus’ girls, as well as Toledo, Detroit, Hogle, and Brookfield’s females. So there aren’t too many options for him, unfortunately.

20. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A key issue not surfacing in this conversation is that Columbus—for now—is not AZA accredited…

Polar bear fan likes this.