Join our zoo community

North American Polar Bear Population

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by Elephant Enthusiast, 31 Aug 2018.

1. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are not enough pairs in the US population to go around. Plus, if they were to capture orphaned wild bears, there's a law that doesn't allow breeding them in captivity.

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know, I just figured Alaska of all places would be a priority breeding institution. I did not know about that orphan law, though. It sounds pretty stupid and definitely detrimental to the program. What's the reasoning behind it?

~Thylo

3. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The law that does not allow polar bears to be transferred between institutions in the US and Canada needs to be fixed. I do not understand why the law exists to begin with. Anyone have any history on that?

4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

It's because the polar bear is federally endangered and subject to the Marine Mammal Protection Act, the same one that prevents breeding of sea otters and manatees. I think the objective is to prevent people from harvesting animals from the wild and so causing more detriment to the populations. There was talk of the AZA lobbying Congress to revise the Act to allow breeding of orphans at accredited facilities to occur without a laborious FWS approval process, but I haven't heard about any progress being made. I imagine they've had more pressing matters to deal with the past few years...

Worth noting that Alaska Zoo is not AZA accredited, so that may also have an impact on their ability to take in and breed wild orphans.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

An abominable folly I believe in the face of its IUCN status in the wild as well as recovery programs ex situ manouvarability et cetera.

BenFoxster and ThylacineAlive like this.
  6. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

7. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Fingers crossed for Cincinnati! Any other zoos have denning activities going on?

BenFoxster likes this.
  8. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Seneca Park Zoo stated that their female polar bear, Anoki, was starting to den and has access on and off exhibit. However, she was artificially inseminated and so far, there hasn't been any luck with that process in polar bears.

9. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Elephant Enthusiast likes this.
  10. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

11. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

The sire is Lee (his first cub, even!) and the mother is Aurora, making it her fourth cub so far.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2019
  12. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It’s her fourth cub

13. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

0.1 Anana will be moving to Detroit, joining Nuka and Suka. This will leave Little One as the zoo's sole polar bear, according to Moebelle.

15. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

16. Coelacanth18

I just realized that both females at Columbus are also descendants of the breeding pair at Toledo. That is not good; that means that every polar bear in the US born after 2006 is related to each other, excepting only the two singly-kept USFWS bears at Louisville and Saint Louis. The cubs being born at those two zoos are slowing the demographic decline, but it seems highly unlikely that it will be enough to sustain the population in the future without a change in law or government policy.

17. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One exception, Luna at Buffalo is out of wild born male Nanuq and captive born female Anana. She was born in 2012, and is totally unrelated to the prolific Marty x Crystal line.

Unfortunately, every single potential breeding pair in the US right now, barring two (male Nuka and aforementioned female Anana at Detroit, and male Koda and female Snowflake at Pittsburgh), has a bear that is either an offspring or grandoffspring of Aussie x Arki. Not a good situation at all.

Okapi Lover likes this.
  18. Coelacanth18

Is Anana not the offspring of Marty and Crystal, as is stated in this thread? Aren't she and Aurora sisters from that lineage?

19. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No, there's three different Anana's in the US, one out of Marty x Crystal, one out of Yukon x Aurora, and a third out of Andy x Chinook. And the Aurora that bred with Yukon to produce Anana is a different Aurora from the one out of Marty x Crystal. Confusing much? :p

20. Coelacanth18

Ah, yes I see now; Luna was born to the Anana currently going from Cincinnati to Detroit, rather than the one living at Columbus. We really need more diversity in our polar bear naming scheme around here :p

While that *does* make her unrelated to the Marty x Crystal line, she is still related to some of the cubs born post-2006 because Nanuq also sired 4 living cubs while in Columbus (Hope, Amelia Gray, Neva, and Nuniq)... so of those, Luna is only unrelated to direct Marty x Crystal descendants (Hope and Borealis) and the recent cub sired by Lee. Even if she is paired with Borealis or the new cub in the future, that will only be a single unrelated breeding pair in the whole country (assuming that no reproduction occurs between older unrelated pairs, which has not happened yet but hopefully does).