Join our zoo community

North American Zoos Obtaining New Animals

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by MonkeyBat, 20 Mar 2021.

1. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Sort of a weird topic, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any facilities in North America looking to acquire rare in zoos or non existent in American zoos species. I'm not sure if this is a clear explanation, so if you need me to clear it up just ask.

Here's an example, barely any zoos in the 90's had a Komodo dragon, and now many zoos have obtained them. Are there any examples of that going on today?

2. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

St. Louis Zoo masterplan includes Chinese Golden monkeys, if they can acquire them.

3. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Didn't LA Zoo try to acquire them?

BenFoxster likes this.
  4. MonkeyBat

Yes, that was in the 80's or 90's I think?

5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Non-AZA/roadside zoos do this fairly often. Owl/night monkeys are becoming really popular right now (and none are IDed at the species level).

6. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

It was actually fairly recent when they tried to get a loan from China, approximately 12 years ago. The current Francios Langur exhibit was supposed be the home for Golden Monkeys yet that deal fell through. Seeing as to the current political climate between US and China, it’s fair to say that this will likely hamper loans of exclusive animals like the Golden monkeys or pandas. However, having seen the current Vision Plan for the LA Zoo, the intriguing animal listed on there are quokka. The LA Zoo appears to have a good standing with Australia regarding their loans so far, perhaps this can be achieved yet could fall through as with any sort animal transaction. Although since COVID sort of changed the world, that may further complicate dealings of such unique animals due to safety precautions with disease.

7. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

I would keep an eye out for Dallas World Aquarium, their always trying to gain new and diverse species from the wild.

BenFoxster and MonkeyBat like this.
  8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

and often illegally too

9. Westcoastperson

Was it the brown-throated sloths they got in trouble for recently? I know it was some species of two-toed sloth.

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I have no idea about recently though it wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if the owner has once again got himself into trouble with animal trafficking as he is apparently a very unsavoury character and evidently not too bothered about breaking the law.

I know that historically they got into trouble in Panama when they tried to illegally import pygmy sloths to their collection.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  11. Westcoastperson

Ah yes, the pygmy sloths that's what it was (they already have brown-throated sloths). It's a good thing to bring diversity to America, I actually liked his idea to bring river dolphins even though it was shot down. His methods are just very flawed, if it isn't legal he should leave it alone.

12. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

MonkeyBat likes this.
  13. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I think that he is representative of a very problematic neocolonialist type mindset which is matched with an arrogant and obsessional collector's mania that does unfortunately exist within some zoos.

14. Westcoastperson

Ya that is worrying, he used to be a caterer before he started DWA so I’m not completely sure about his credentials.

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I think (not 100% sure) that he also used to be an art collector or involved in the collecting of fine art in some capacity.

If I'm correct about that then it is very telling as he appears to have a similar attitude towards "collecting" wild animals for his zoos as he does / did for fine art.

These are merely objects / accessories to be located, bought and possessed (at whatever cost and even if it breaks the law and adversely impacts wild populations) to elevate and signal status and wealth etc.

16. Westcoastperson

And now we are right back in the original days of zoos, where collections were used to show off. The idea is good, exporting animals never seen in America and defying the odds of the AZA can be a good thing if done right. If it weren't for him we wouldn't know about Andean Cock of the Rock breeding and everyone told him it was impossible. But the ways he does it (to show off) and how he does it (illegally) is not ok. And while I appreciate the species he has brought, I would much rather someone with more knowledge on wildlife and regulations who also has good reasons to do this kind of thing.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2021
  17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Well said ! totally agree !

There are legal avenues through which to obtain species which do not leave wild populations in a more precarious state.

Wisp O' Mist and Westcoastperson like this.
  18. MonkeyBat

Oh yes! The are these in captivity thread was started as the LA Zoo wanted to obtain cone snails, sea kraits, and blue ringed octopi

19. Westcoastperson

I remember reading the original part of the thread and researching it before even joining ZC

MonkeyBat likes this.
  20. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Point Defiance has some, so hopefully more will be coming to US zoos in the future.