Join our zoo community

North American Zoos Obtaining New Animals

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by MonkeyBat, 20 Mar 2021.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

But river dolphins are probably the cetacean best suited for captivity.

2. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Yes they are, that's the situation with a lot of rarer cetacean species. River Dolphins would be better than bottlenose dolphins, Strap-toothed whales would be better than Orca whales, Commersons Dolphins can be better than white-sided dolphins. The problem is the import of River Dolphins is legally very difficult (maybe even illegal) and the same can be said about the other species. Also, the public really doesn't care, if it's not a bottlenose dolphin or Orca people don't care. And importing species from the wild, especially cetaceans, can anger the public easily. The species I named earlier are the ideal species: they don't need large pods, they are unique, and have manageable sizes. But actually legally acquiring them takes a miracle (a stranding event) and approval from the public and then approval from fish and wildlife.

3. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I'm not a big fan of cetaceans in captivity, but I feel like it makes sense with river dolphins.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

You have repeated this on several threads. The capture of the Pigmy Sloths for export wasn't illegal at all, and there was no smuggling or animal trafficking involved - the DWA had permits from Panama's wildlife department. The problem was that the locals in the town stopped them loading the sloths, and the animals were then taken back to the island (reading somewhat between the lines, this was for the safety of the zoo staff who were transporting the sloths after the locals mobbed them with the support of the local police).

I don't agree with the collection of the sloths in the first place, but to say that it was a smuggling attempt is simply not true.

BenFoxster and JVM like this.
  5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

He had permits from Panama's wildlife department, yes, but there are endemic levels of corruption that exist within that entity and that in itself doesn't really mean anything.

Yes, I've repeated it several times because it is very illustrative of a mindset and attitude that sadly continues to linger in some North American and European zoo directors, the myopic obsessiveness and immaturity of a 12 year old stamp collector, the pathology of a narcissist and the arrogance of a neocolonialist.

He went ahead with his "plan" against the better judgement and warnings of several scientists, conservation organizations (including ZSL), the IUCN and AZA and it ended in justifiably angering the local community and causing the death of two of these animals.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2021
    Nocturnal House and Wisp O' Mist like this.
  6. Chlidonias

Well, no. Having permits issued by the country for legitimately exporting the sloths means, by definition, that it was not "illegal" and not "smuggling" and not "animal trafficking". Repeating that it is, is just lying.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

No, I am not lying, we simply differ in our opinions on this matter.

You are apparently content to just accept at face value what occurred because it has the appearance of legality whereas I am not.

You will be well aware of the corruption that exists within Latin American as a region and within governmental environmental agencies and Panama is notorious as being a country where corruption and bribery are the norm.

Back in the days of Noriega daily shipments of cocaine disguised as other cargo passed through Panama on their way to the USA with the flick of a pen and all the right "permits" by knowing officials (and if anyone complained they just ended up dead) and Panamanian banks launder money from corrupt politicans, drug cartels and terrorist organizations the world over with all the right "permits".

Greasing the palms of officials within these agencies with fat wads of dollars so they can sign a permit does not in itself guarantee or legitimise the legality or prop up a sketchy and highly questionable venture.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2021
    Nocturnal House and Wisp O' Mist like this.
  8. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I will ask... how difficult is it to get to Isla Escudo de Veraguas with the intention of seeing/photographing pygmy sloths? Very difficult?
    I would appreciate insight greater than mine

9. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think the best thing to do would be to just cooperate with European zoos.

And as for river dolphins, one could perhaps make a deal with range countries that we can hand-rear any found orphans or injured animals to make a captive population.

MidwestFan likes this.
  10. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

somehow between creating a dolphin-nursery in say Venezuela and shipping hurt dolphins over to Europe... one seems more economically sensible to me

Though I suppose you could create a breeding population that could potentially be shipped overseas at some point...

JVM likes this.
  11. Chlidonias

It's not difficult. Tourists go there frequently, either as a day trip or overnight camping.

Westcoastperson and birdsandbats like this.
  12. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Definitely. I think global species management is the future of zoos. There are a number of populations that the US and Europe collaborate on including some programs that list animals from both continents (particularly primates and dhole, I've heard) as well as some exchanges such as the elephants from Dublin, there's relations with Australia to import/export seem to be improving between multiple recent discussions (the Platypus years ago, Tasmanian Devils potentially returning to multiple facilities, Quoll cooperation in Europe, recurring rumors about Quokka and Bilby) and haven't a few animals been exchanged between Europe and Asia recently?

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  13. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Australia is generally amenable to discussing exports to reputable zoos, so long as there's captive-bred individuals to send. It has a good deal more to do with available space and facility interest.
    Quokka is no longer rumor though, Wilhelma received some around the turn of the year.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2023
  14. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

That's great to read, I heard until fairly recently that Australia was not really willing to send out animals.