Join our zoo community

North Carolina Zoo North Carolina Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 26 Sep 2008.

1. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The zoo has brought in 1.1 giraffe for the edge of the forest exhibit. the male is Rothschilds giraffe and the female is a reticulated giraffe, is this sensible bringing in two sub-species, are there not separate breeding programmes in the AZA for sub-species?

Then again perhaps one or other is unable to breed and are there for display purposes only?

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  3. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks Ituri, that has come of somewhat of a shock to me, i would never have realised that those subspecies retic/Roths, have been abandoned by the AZA, surely in this day and age of genetic testing, pure bred individuals could be sourced and pooled together?

5. okapikpr

6. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

What are the ramifications now that the giraffe has been split into at least 6 full species. Will there have to be a true SSP especially for the Rothschild which is critically endangered?

7. okapikpr

8. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

It seems that report is several years old. I was referring to the new research and paper by Brown et al 2007. where they have shown huge amounts of data pushing for the elevation of most if not all giraffe subspecies to full species level.

9. Ituri

Doesn't change the fact that there is not a viable pure-bred population of reticulateds or rothschilds giraffes in the US, and when was the last time giraffes were imported?

10. okapikpr

According to the article, the giraffes labeled as reticulated and baringo in North America are hybirds and genetically distinct from the reticulated and baringo populations in the wild...thus the rationale of maintaining these two seperate (sub)species is a no longer valid. However the Masai Giraffe population's genetic makeup is in aggreement with the wild population.

No matter what the new species status of the different giraffe populations are...it will not change the current management of giraffes in North America.

11. okapikpr

The zoo will add bongo to the Forest's Edge enclosure that has long held only giraffe, zebra, and ostrich.

NC Zoo Society: April Z-Mail

12. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

13. snowleopard

14. snowleopard

15. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Rather old news, but no sign of it at this website - Giant Hummingbirds at the zoo.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  16. Ituri

Was this supposed to have a link? ;)

17. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

-Gorilla, Jamani is pregnant and due in July-August

-1.1 ocelots have been born

-a temporary white alligator enclosure has opened

18. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

Just got back from our first visit to NC Zoo and enjoyed this zoo immensely.Watani Grassland Reserve is without question the best elephant exhibit in North America.Having now been to Nash,DZ and NC it is not even close,NC is in a league of its own.From certain angles you would think you were on the back of a jeep looking out on a Savannah in Kenya.
    Overall there is nothing really to complain about at this Zoo.Some of the highlights from this Zoo include a very active Polar bear swimming and throwing toys around the water,a cute pair of a Ocelot cubs(Arizona Docent you would love these guys) and a huge and pretty crazy troop of Hamadryas Baboons,it was very refreshing to see them in such a nice exhibit unlike our home zoo of Cleveland which is one of the worst primate exhibits around.NC also has very good Gorilla and chimp enclosures.

Team Tapir

19. snowleopard

Hooray! Another ZooChattter has now visited North Carolina Zoo, definitely one of my top 7 zoos in all of North America but an establishment that is located out of the way of the tourist cities. I agree that the elephant exhibit is the nation's best, and last summer on August 3rd I visited North Carolina Zoo, on August 6th I visited Nashville Zoo and on August 13th I visited Dallas Zoo. Having seen the famous trio of outstanding African elephant habitats I'd rank them in that order: North Carolina, Nashville and then Dallas. Some folks might argue otherwise but I've rarely found anyone that has actually visited all three in person, and I'm not sure that there are any other elephant exhibits in North America that can even compare to "the big 3".

20. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Can anyone explain to me why Aquila the polar bear was sent up to the Detroit Zoo during the exhibit renovation, but Willy the polar bear is still at the zoo?