Join our zoo community

North Carolina Zoo North Carolina Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 26 Sep 2008.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

3. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

StoppableSan and nczoofan like this.
  4. SharkFinatic

5. SharkFinatic

nczoofan and StoppableSan like this.
  6. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. nczoofan

Just a few notes:
    • Eastern collared lizard have been added to the desert tortoise exhibit.
    • Streamside in recent months has been renovated with the water areas being filled in except for the first 3 exhibits. The exhibits are still being filled with new species but the current species list is Eastern fence lizard, cottonmouth, copperhead, eastern rat snake, timber rattlesnake, pygmy rattlesnake and spotted turtle.
    • The first bird exhibit in the desert, opposite the roadrunner is being renovated. This is likely where the young Komodo dragon will be held until Asia is complete. It formally held the buffalo weaver who are now free flighted in the dome.
    • Construction was occurring on the lake in the rhino exhibit, therefore they were off exhibit. The other species were on exhibit, as they are largely handled hands-off.
    • Lastly zoo parkway (which will connect the highway directly to the zoo) is moving along rapidly and will open next year.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. SharkFinatic

9. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

LesulaMonkey and nczoofan like this.
  10. nczoofan

Just visited the NC Zoo, on this cold-rainy Sunday
    • Eastern box turtle have been added to Streamside.
    • The presumed Komodo Dragon exhibit in the desert is still under construction.
    • After the death of Yepani (one of two elderly grizzlies), the zoo closed the bear exhibit and is currently renovating it. They were tearing up part of the viewing area and pool today.
    • About 1/3 of the aviary is closed down for unknown construction.
    • Finally saw the Bongo for the first time in probably a year, as they tend to hide in the back of the Watani Grasslands.

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

What about elephant breeding? The only breeding cow is Batir, who is 17 years old but has not yet had calves. Surprisingly, none of these bulls pair with her. Wouldn't that be an appropriate AI, which is not ideal, but in this case is one of the last options?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. nczoofan

The females are pretty nonstop paired with the males, so their is always that small chance that Batir could become pregnant. Despite this fact, both males have issues that make it unlikely (one being infertile and the other showing no interest). I’m not sure about whether AI is an option for Batir, or if its even been considered.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

Maybe it would be not wrong to move her and her mother to another facility, or replace one of the bulls with a proven bull. Or also perform AI.

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. nczoofan

C’Sar has been at the Nc Zoo since it opened and is partially blind so he is never moving anywhere. Artie has shown no interest in breeding so he could be replaced theoretically, although I don’t see it happening.

15. Astrotom3000

Astrotom3000 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I just finished my own visit to the NC Zoo today, and will be doing another run tomorrow. To add on to what @nczoofan said, as well as add things I noticed since my last visit in Oct 2018. I will upload new photos and even maybe do a species list when I get the chance.

• The Baboon trail and exhibit were still open, despite the map still saying it would close starting Spring 2019. No apparent work was done. The baboons themselves, however, were not out. Maybe due to the weather? It was a bit chilly.
    • Red River Hog exhibit was closed and being landscaped. A bunch of plants were removed, allowing the full extent of the exhibit to be more clearly visible.
    • New fencing installed at the Lion exhibit, you can't go right up to the glass anymore.
    • It looks like a new observation window is being added to the Grizzly Bear habitat, integrated in the rock wall. They tore out one of the other observation areas.
    • For the Aviary, parts of the pathway were taken out, so a section of the Rainforest Aviary was closed. The tortoise exhibits were inaccessible as a result.
    • Got to see the new Streamside renovations in the upper building. All but the left 2 exhibits had their water areas filled in, which resulted in certain species being taken off exhibit. New species include Eastern Box Turtle and Eastern Fence Lizard. Removed species include Scarlet Kingsnake, Mole Kingsnake, Two-toed Amphiuma, and Banded Watersnake. Pine Snakes, Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes, and Spotted Turtles return after being absent for various amounts of time. Copperheads are now in their own exhibit and no longer mixed with the rattlesnakes. Pygmy Rattlesnakes were moved here from Cypress Swamp, which now has Eastern Hognose Snakes in their place.
    • Cypress Swamp's Sandhills exhibit has added Eastern Hognose Snake and Southern Toad. Eastern Glass lizards appear to have been taken off exhibit (not visible or signed). Also no one seems to realize that there is an Alligator Snapping Turtle in the small exhibit next to the Cougars. He blends in that well.
    • New signage in certain areas, particularly the Seabird exhibit, the Prairie, and the Lion exhibit.
    • The Desert exhibit lineup has changed yet again! New species include Gorongosa Girdled Lizard (Smaug mossambicus) and Arizona Tiger Salamander. Animals removed since my last visit include Green Jay, Gambel's Quail, Madrean Alligator Lizard, and Baja Ratsnake. The Colorado River Toad, Western Hognose Snake, and Frilled Dragon were moved to different enclosures within the Desert.
    • Junction Plaza got a makeover.
    Overall, definitely a bunch of renovation work going on in various parts of the zoo. Also, I really need to stop waiting until late October to visit...

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  16. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

North Carolina Zoo helped by the translocation of 2 bird-species on the Mariana Islands :

Kifaru Bwana and nczoofan like this.
  17. SharkFinatic

18. nczoofan

Visited this week:
    • A juvenile male Komodo dragon has gone on display in the former buffalo weaver (now free-flying) exhibit in the desert dome.
    • Construction is still ongoing for the grizzly bear exhibit. The pool is being torn up and a new viewing area is being added.
    • 1/3 of the aviary path is still closed, for construction.

StoppableSan likes this.
  19. nczoofan

20. nczoofan

Just was thinking further about the North Carolina Zoo’s attendance. The zoo has never broke 1 million guests in a single year, which many zoos in the United States reach yearly.

The location of the zoo is likely the cause of this, as the zoo is located in Asheboro, NC which is a small city of only 35,000 people. For historical context, as it is I believe the only state owned/managed zoo in the country, the location was selected by the NC legislature as a compromise between the 2 largest cities in the state: Charlotte & Raleigh. The zoo is about 75 miles from each of those cities, and about 45 minutes drive from the states 3rd largest city Greensboro (which has its own zoo the Greensboro Science Center). So I guess if one considers the remoteness of the zoo it is definitely an achievement to see numbers this large. I can’t think of many other large zoos that have this remote a location from major population centers.

With the upcoming Asia (Spring 2023 is the planned opening) and Australia after that the zoos attendance should easily soar over a million and potentially well above that.